New technology allows you to print electronic devices in the same way your inkjet printer prints a document or photo.
Now researchers at Palo Alto Research Center have used this technique to build a portable X-ray imager and small mechanical devices.
“It’s a demonstration of how far this technology can go,” said Tina Ng of the Palo Alto Research Center. She will describe these devices at the AVS 61st International Symposium & Exhibition, being held Nov. 9-14, 2014, in Baltimore, Md.
Making electronics on conventional silicon wafers can be costly and time consuming. Traditional photolithography methods, Ng explained, are complex. You first have to deposit layers of material, place a stencil-like mask on it, and then shine ultraviolet light to etch away the exposed material. You then repeat the process to create the patterns needed to form electronic circuits and devices.
But in the last ten years, researchers have been developing ways to deposit patterns of metals, semiconductors and other material directly, just like how a printer deposits patterns of ink. The materials are dissolved in a liquid solution, which can then be printed on a variety of substrates, such as plastic, paper and even fabric. When the “ink” dries, the material remains.
As a demonstration of this technology, Ng and her colleagues built a digital X-ray sensor. Using printing techniques, the researchers fabricated flexible X-ray imager arrays on plastic films that are much more portable than the behemoths at your dentist’s office. Such a device could be used by doctors in the field, serve as small security scanners or even help soldiers identify bombs in battle.
The Latest on: Digital printed electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Digital printed electronics
- Hélio Corbeil Invests in EFI VUTEk Printers and Pace MIS Workflow for Transition from Analogue to Digitalon August 25, 2021 at 3:01 am
Hélio Corbeil is partnering with Electronics For Imaging, Inc. for a transition into digital printing by investing in an EFITM VUTEk® h5 UV LED hybrid flatbed/roll-to-roll printer, an EFI VUTEk Q3r UV ...
- 'People need less screen time': Why fast-growing B2B publisher Mark Allen is investing in printon August 25, 2021 at 1:33 am
Mark Allen print launches target "virgin territory" with websites and in-person events to follow. Print leads as "people need less screen time".
- Announcing CircleIT: A Company Disrupting ITAD with a Focus on Circularity and Digital Commerceon August 24, 2021 at 6:05 am
The pioneering ITAD announces certified ESG reporting for enterprises and a digital ITAD solution for consumers. OKLAHOMA CITY, August 24, 2021--(BUSINESS WIRE)--HiTECH Assets, a Certified B ...
- Digital Printing Market 2021 Trending Technologies, Development Plans, Future Growth and Geographical Regions to 2027on August 18, 2021 at 7:48 am
This latest report on Digital Printing Market by Intelligence Market Report presents an analysis of the market situation and challenges Experts have thought about the credible data and differentiated ...
- Prinker Enables Brands to Engage Consumers at Events Through Instant Digital Temporary Tattooson August 18, 2021 at 5:33 am
Prinker, the inventor of the world's first all-in-one temporary tattoo device and a member of Born2Global Centre, is enabling companies to enhance their experiential marketing events by letting ...
- Photo Printer Market By Top Key Players and Forecast till 2030 | Eastman Kodak Company, LG Electronics Inc., Canon Inc., Seiko Epson Corporationon August 17, 2021 at 2:23 am
In a recent published report, Absolute Markets Insights has updated the market report for Photo Printer Market for 2021 till 2030. The objective of the report is to covers a detailed analysis of the ...
- 2028 Global Digital Printing Industry Size, Share, Trends and Competitors Analysison August 13, 2021 at 6:36 am
The Global Digital Printing Market is accounted for 22 79 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach 44 76 billion by 2028 growing at a CAGR of 8 8 during the forecast period Some of the key factors ...
- Printing process holds promise for bendable displayson August 11, 2021 at 2:36 am
Until now, the most advanced flexible electronics have been mainly manufactured via a three-stage stamping process called transfer printing. In the process ... allowing the creation of self-contained ...
- New method for fabricating flexible electronicson August 10, 2021 at 10:35 am
Until now, the most advanced flexible electronics have been mainly manufactured by a process called transfer printing ... the creation of self-contained digital displays which could be rolled ...
- Global Digital Textile Printing Market to Reach $2.7 Billion by 2026on August 10, 2021 at 7:32 am
© 2021 Insider Inc. and finanzen.net GmbH (Imprint). All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service and ...
via Bing News