New technology allows you to print electronic devices in the same way your inkjet printer prints a document or photo.
Now researchers at Palo Alto Research Center have used this technique to build a portable X-ray imager and small mechanical devices.
“It’s a demonstration of how far this technology can go,” said Tina Ng of the Palo Alto Research Center. She will describe these devices at the AVS 61st International Symposium & Exhibition, being held Nov. 9-14, 2014, in Baltimore, Md.
Making electronics on conventional silicon wafers can be costly and time consuming. Traditional photolithography methods, Ng explained, are complex. You first have to deposit layers of material, place a stencil-like mask on it, and then shine ultraviolet light to etch away the exposed material. You then repeat the process to create the patterns needed to form electronic circuits and devices.
But in the last ten years, researchers have been developing ways to deposit patterns of metals, semiconductors and other material directly, just like how a printer deposits patterns of ink. The materials are dissolved in a liquid solution, which can then be printed on a variety of substrates, such as plastic, paper and even fabric. When the “ink” dries, the material remains.
As a demonstration of this technology, Ng and her colleagues built a digital X-ray sensor. Using printing techniques, the researchers fabricated flexible X-ray imager arrays on plastic films that are much more portable than the behemoths at your dentist’s office. Such a device could be used by doctors in the field, serve as small security scanners or even help soldiers identify bombs in battle.
The Latest on: Digital printed electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Digital printed electronics
- Scientists Invent Paper Battery That Works With Just a Drop of Wateron August 1, 2022 at 8:25 am
A new, "just-add-water" disposable paper battery could power small-scale electronics such as smart labels for tracking ... A third ink marking is printed on both sides which contains graphite flakes ...
- 10 Best 3D Printing Stocks To Buy Nowon August 1, 2022 at 7:32 am
In this article, we will discuss the 10 best 3D printing stocks to buy now. If you want to skip our discussion on the 3D printing industry’s growth prospects, go directly to the 5 Best 3D Printing ...
- Disposable paper batteries could power electronics one dayon July 29, 2022 at 10:35 am
The battery could minimize the environmental impact of low-power electronics. The post Disposable paper batteries could power electronics one day appeared first on Talker.
- Disposable printed paper battery, activated by water, may help reduce electronic wasteon July 28, 2022 at 9:32 pm
Researchers have made a paper-based battery that they think can help clean up the waste stream of single-use disposable batteries.
- EFI and Canon Introduce imagePRESS Server D3000 for Fiery-Driven Canon imagePRESS V1000on July 28, 2022 at 1:27 pm
Through our continuing partnership with EFI, we are giving imagePRESS V1000 users a faster and easier digital workflow solution for producing direct mail, business cards, booklets, posters and other ...
- Digital Printing On Wood Market Future Growth Explored In Latest Research Report With Top Key Playerson July 22, 2022 at 10:12 am
Digital Printing on Wood Market The digital printing on wood market size was valued at $4,607.6 million in 2020, and is projected to reac ...
- New Fiery FS500 DFE platform expands printing capabilities for Konica Minolta AccurioPrint C750ion July 20, 2022 at 2:43 am
The Konica Minolta AccurioPrint C750i series is driven by the EFI™ Fiery IC-420 v2 digital front end (DFE) on the latest Fiery FS500 platform to increase productivity, giving users simple, intuitive ...
- Walton Digital Campaign Season-15 ends with huge customer responseon July 19, 2022 at 3:14 am
Walton had started the season-15 with lucrative customer benefits on May 16, 2022 that continued till July 18. Walton is conducting the campaigns in a bid to give customers swift and best after sales ...
- 3D Printed Electronics Market Is Developing CAGR Of 31.26% During The Forecast Periodon July 15, 2022 at 3:50 am
3D printed electronics is an emerging program that allows electronics to be integrated within or over the surface of gadgets. The concept of 3D printing was primarily used to add antennas and ...
- Data center digital twin firm Future Facilities acquired by Cadence Design Systemson July 12, 2022 at 6:29 am
Digital twin specialist Future Facilities has been acquired. Cadence Design Systems, Inc. announced this week that it had entered into an agreement to acquire the firm. The terms of the transaction ...
via Bing News