University of Utah engineers have developed a polarizing filter that allows in more light, leading the way for mobile device displays that last much longer on a single battery charge and cameras that can shoot in dim light.
Polarizers are indispensable in digital photography and LCD displays, but they block enormous amounts of light, wasting energy and making it more difficult to photograph in low light.
The Utah electrical and computer engineering researchers created the filter by etching a silicon wafer with nanoscale pillars and holes using a focused gallium-ion beam. This new concept in light filtering can perform the same function as a standard polarizer but allows up to nearly 30 percent more light to pass through, says U electrical and computer engineering associate professor Rajesh Menon. The study is being published in November’s issue ofOptica, a new journal from The Optical Society.
Sunlight as well as most ambient light emits half of its energy as light polarized along a horizontal axis and the other half along a vertical axis. A polarizer typically allows only half of the light to pass because it’s permitting either the horizontal or vertical energy to go through, but not both. Meanwhile, the other half is reflected back or absorbed, but the resulting image is much darker. Polarizers are widely used by photographers, for example, to reduce glare in the image. They also are used in LCD displays to regulate what light passes through to create images on the screen.
“When you take a picture and put the polarized filter on, you are trying to get rid of glare,” Menon says. “But most polarizers will eliminate anywhere from to 60 to 70 percent of the light. You can see it with your eyes.”
Yet with Menon’s new polarizer, much of the light that normally is reflected back is instead converted to the desired polarized state, he says. The U researchers have been able to pass through about 74 percent of the light, though their goal is to eventually allow all of the light to pass through.
LCD displays on devices such as smartphones and tablets have two polarizers that ultimately throw away most of the light when working with the liquid crystal display. “If one can increase that energy efficiency, that is a huge increase on the battery life of your display. Or you can make your display brighter,” Menon says.
The Latest on: Polarizing filter
via Google News
The Latest on: Polarizing filter
- Boat of the Week: This Rule-Breaking 95-Foot Superyacht Is Like a Two-Story Penthouse for the Wateron April 9, 2021 at 7:00 am
Designed by Pininfarina, the Princess X95 has a transformer stern, a Jacuzzi near the bow and a master suite with a beautiful forward view.
- Polarized sunglasses Market 2021 : Revenue, Growth Rate, Market Size, Restraints, Forecast Analysis by 2026 with Top Countries Dataon April 7, 2021 at 4:37 pm
Polarized sunglasses are manufactured with a polarizing filter inserted between the lens layers. Polarized sunglasses help people deal with the ever-present outside glare when they are used by people ...
- How to Establish an Agency Content Strategy When Outbound Stops Workingon April 7, 2021 at 5:00 am
Reddit makes this easy, as you can sort by popularity and filter by date (e.g. “this month”), and ... Therefore, we have a (potentially polarizing) topic we can write about in the future, using our ...
- Education Department reviewing campus sex assault ruleson April 6, 2021 at 6:36 am
The Education Department on Tuesday moved forward with plans to revise federal rules around campus sexual assault, paving the way for an overhaul of a polarizing Trump-era policy that President ...
- Engadget Awards, a MacBook Pro review and other stories you might've missed!on April 3, 2021 at 5:00 pm
As is always the case, there were some very polarizing products on the ballot ... Dyson's new bladeless fan is also a powerful air filter Dyson really hates dirt, to the point that it's now ...
- Display Glass Substrate Market 2021 : Analysis of Key Trends, Industry Dynamics and Future Growth 2026 with Top Countries Dataon March 31, 2021 at 11:09 pm
An LCD panel consists of various components stacked in a number of layers. These components include a polarizer, a color filter and a liquid crystal layer, with the glass substrate being the most ...
- Nick Clegg doesn’t think Facebook is polarizingon March 31, 2021 at 2:47 pm
So we’re now going to have a feed filter bar. When you scroll to the ... is that it rewards the most polarizing and outrageous content. And this is something that you really take on in this ...
- Harmful content not ‘fault of faceless machines,’ Facebook VP Nick Clegg says while blaming users for ‘polarizing’ contenton March 31, 2021 at 8:38 am
Facebook VP of global affairs Nick Clegg has blamed users for spreading “polarizing” content on the platform in a blog defending its algorithms, saying the spread of harmful posts is “not simply the ...
- Scientists Capture Swirling Magnetic Fields in New Image of Black Holeon March 24, 2021 at 10:50 am
Getting the data necessary to polarize the image was not as simple as slapping new lens filters on the eight ... Per Science News, the significance of polarizing the image is that polarization ...
- 'Stop letting them dress you like Holly Hobby!' Savannah Guthrie's funky mixed-patterned dress divides Today viewers - as the anchor shares some of the 'mixed' reviews she has ...on March 18, 2021 at 3:27 pm
Savannah Guthrie made a fashion statement in a mixed-patterned dress on the Today show Thursday, but the reviews for the polarizing frock were, well, mixed. The 49-year-old co-anchor took to ...
via Bing News