“If the scheme is applied into practice, we believe it would enable a tremendous extension of the EV cruising range,” says Ohira.
Electric vehicles (EV) have ten times higher energy performance than automobiles powered by gasoline-based engines. EVs show tremendous potential as an effective solution to both energy shortages and global warming.
However, conventional battery-based EVs are not popular with drivers because of drawbacks including: (1) short cruising range; (2) long time to recharge; and (3) high cost. Now, assuming that these drawbacks stem from the need to store large batteries onboard cars, then there are strong demands for alternatives means of powering electric cars. In a novel approach, Takashi Ohira at Toyohashi University of Technology and colleagues are developing an innovative method for powering EVs that drastically reduces the number of batteries.
The approach exploits the steel belt usually embedded in rubber tires. The steel belt collects power excited from a pair of electrodes buried beneath the road surface. And, since the steel belt is electrically insulated by the rubber tread, the researchers used a displacement current at high frequency to penetrate from underground to the steel belt.
The Latest on: Electric power transfer
via Google News
The Latest on: Electric power transfer
- The history of ERCOT: How Texas became the only state with its own power gridon February 24, 2021 at 1:06 pm
Now, ERCOT may face long-lasting changes as a result of the mismanagement of the state’s power grid. In the late 1800s, utility companies throughout Texas were formed to to generate electricity for ...
- Solar power satellites that could beam energy to anywhere on Earth successfully tested by Pentagon scientistson February 24, 2021 at 12:44 pm
The most far-reaching application of power beaming technology is the ‘continuous transfer of boundless electrical power to the Earth,’ study states ...
- Driving product innovation within SMEs: The University of Sheffield and Evolution Power Toolson February 24, 2021 at 11:26 am
A Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) between the University of Sheffield and Evolution Power Tools has enabled the company to innovate its product lines and also helped the University validate ...
- Piper Sandler Equities Analysts Reduce Earnings Estimates for Energy Transfer LP (NYSE:ET)on February 24, 2021 at 5:50 am
Equities researchers at Piper Sandler lowered their Q1 2021 earnings per share estimates for Energy Transfer in a research report issued on Monday, February 22nd. Piper Sandler analyst P. Hammond now ...
- Gamco Investors INC. ET AL Sells 3,187 Shares of Energy Transfer LP (NYSE:ET)on February 24, 2021 at 3:44 am
Gamco Investors INC. ET AL reduced its position in shares of Energy Transfer LP (NYSE:ET) by 15.2% in the fourth quarter, according to its most recent filing with the Securities & Exchange Commission.
- PLUS sees unemployment, mortgage restrictions affecting property market in 2021 but takes note of measures cushioning purchasing power.on February 24, 2021 at 1:38 am
According to Plus Property's view of the 2021 prospects for the property market, an increased number of new project launches are expected to take place as developers have better acclimatised to the ...
- Data transfer system connects silicon chips with a hair’s-width cableon February 23, 2021 at 9:17 pm
MIT researchers developed a data transfer link that’s slimmer, more energy efficient, and faster than alternatives like USB or fiber optics. The advance could cut energy budgets at data centers and ...
- OGE Energy selling gas business for $7B, focusing solely on OG&E electric utilityon February 23, 2021 at 7:00 am
Oklahoma Gas & Electric (OG&E), which has followed a dual path as a utility and natural gas company, is now intent on focusing on its electric business and letting go of its nationwide gas gathering, ...
- CWind's Next-Gen Offshore Wind Crew Transfer Vessel Launchedon February 23, 2021 at 6:39 am
CWind, offshore wind crew transfer specialist, on Tuesday announced the delivery of what it described as 'the world’s first ...
- Philadelphia Trust Co. Grows Stake in Energy Transfer LP (NYSE:ET)on February 23, 2021 at 5:31 am
Philadelphia Trust Co. increased its position in Energy Transfer LP (NYSE:ET) by 40.2% in the 4th quarter, according to its most recent disclosure with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
via Bing News