To meet our everyday needs in an increasingly multifaceted technological world is a challenge that pushes researchers to find innovative tools using a multidisciplinary approach.
We inhabit a globalized planet, made up of complex systems, where domains such as communications, business, healthcare, energy or transportation converge, interact and integrate. In this context, a thriving technology trend applies the concept of animal swarms or swarming to the development of complex systems that bridge the gap amongst disciplines as dissimilar as biology, robotics or networking.
The idea behind “swarm technology” is to create a system consisting of a group of heterogeneous elements (such as robots) and organize them, so that they interact (with each other and with the environment), and cooperate, in order to be able to perform tasks or solve problems of practical relevance that are outside their individual capabilities. Thus, from the combination of individual (even simple) agents emerges a more “intelligent” global outcome. The swarm combines physical control of individual entities with integration of their sensor data analysis and communication capabilities to achieve a cooperative system able to accomplish complex goals in a synergic manner. Monitoring, surveillance, mapping, tracking, disaster management and entertainment are a few of the potential applications of swarm technology.
IMDEA Networks Institute and ETH Zürich have signed a collaboration agreement for research and development on this area. The SWARMIX* project aims to lay the foundations for the design, implementation, and adaptive control of heterogeneous multi-agent systems that are composed of humans, animals, and robots. These systems, known as “mixed swarms”, will work in cooperation to solve distributed tasks that require a wide diversity of sensory-motor and cognitive skills.
The aim of this project is to provide each component of the mixed swarm with a high level of autonomy, in order to allow it to fully exploit its own unique skills and abilities. At the same time, it will set up close bidirectional interactions and information flows between all system components in order to ensure overall synergistic cooperation. The main novelty of SWARMIX lies in the joint integration of a possibly large number of humans, animals, and robots in tight cooperation as one single networked system with distributed control.
The Latest on: Swarm technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Swarm technology
- A swarm of earthquakes shakes Iceland. Are volcanic eruptions next?on March 5, 2021 at 11:04 am
Thousands of quakes in southwestern Iceland could signal the beginning of a new period of heightened geologic activity that may last 100 years.
- VanEck Joins Retail Investors Swarm With Vectors Social Sentiment ETF, ‘BUZZ’on March 5, 2021 at 8:59 am
VanEck announced the launch of the VanEck Vectors Social Sentiment ETF (BUZZ), which provides investors value-added exposure to large cap U.S. stocks with the most bullish investor sentiment and ...
- What the swarm of new Azure announcements meanon March 4, 2021 at 10:38 pm
This week's Azure announcements were about being more hybrid, more multi-cloud, more data-dependent -- at higher speed.
- Earthquake swarm: North Island tsunami warning lifted after 8.1 shake, evacuees return homeon March 4, 2021 at 7:45 pm
TSUNAMI WARNING LATEST * Three major earthquakes - at 2.27am, 6.41am, and 8.28am - all of magnitue 7 or higher hit near New Zealand * The third of these earthquakes - a magnitude 8.1 quake in the ...
- Earthquake swarm, Northland tsunami advisory: 7.4m shake near Kermadec Islands after 7.3m jolt off North Island east coaston March 4, 2021 at 11:03 am
QUAKE LATEST * Swarm of earthquakes off NZ coast spark Civil Defence warnings * 7.4 magnitude shake strikes at 6.41am off Raoul Island, the largest of the Kermadec Islands * Tsunami activity advisory ...
- Join the Swarm of Retail Investors Driving Sentiment. New ETF from VanEck Captures Opportunities in the Digital Discussions Reshaping the Market.on March 3, 2021 at 9:30 pm
VanEck today announced the launch of VanEck Vectors ® Social Sentiment ETF (BUZZ) which provides investors value-added exposure to large cap U.S. stocks with the most bullish investor sentiment and ...
- The Navy Plans To Launch Swarms Of Aerial Drones From Unmanned Submarines And Shipson March 2, 2021 at 3:21 am
Unmanned surface and underwater vehicles capable of deploying drone swarms in contested territory could be game-changing for the Navy.
- What Are Drone Swarms And Why Does Every Military Suddenly Want One?on March 1, 2021 at 5:26 am
A slew of countries have announced military drone swarm projects in the last few weeks. Here's a primer on what swarms are, how they work and the advantages they bring.
- Mosquito swarm makes tornado-like formation in Argentinaon February 26, 2021 at 4:34 am
Motorists in Argentina were faced with a confronting sight as they drove towards what appeared to be a forming tornado recently – but on closer inspection, it was actually something else entirely.
- Drone Swarm Swatted: Meet the Air Force’s Directed Energy Microwave Weaponon February 24, 2021 at 7:00 pm
The prototype Tactical High Power Operational Responder (THOR), a new weapon developed by the Air Force Research Lab (AFRL), is a large microwave dish housed in a 20ft-long shippi ...
via Bing News