Led by a Stanford biochemist, Impossible Burger is trying to create a veggie burger that is so meaty you won’t notice it’s not real–right down to the fat and connective tissue. And yes, there will be blood.
The Impossible Burger is made from plants, but it isn’t meant for vegetarians. Instead, the burger–which was made to replicate the real thing in every detail, including plant-based “blood” inside–is intended to convert meat-lovers.
“Our target is hard-core meat-eaters, and our goal is to produce the best burger they’ve ever tasted,” says Impossible Foods founder Patrick Brown, a former Stanford University biochemistry professor. “Our ground beef sizzles, smells, feels, and tastes just like ground beef from an animal.”
Brown started the project after asking himself how he could make the most positive impact on the world. “I quickly realized that one of humanity’s biggest challenges is figuring out how to feed 10 billion people without turning the planet into one giant cow pasture,” he says. Already, the world uses 30% of its dry land to raise animals for food, he learned, and that percentage is predicted to rise.
By some estimates, meat production will double by 2020. Raising livestock already accounts for about 18% of greenhouse gas emissions. Beef has the biggest carbon footprint of any meat, and giving up beef may have more impact than giving up a car. But can really real fake meat successfully compete?
The Impossible Burger team started from scratch to analyze every aspect of a real burger. Part of the key to taste, they found, was blood.
“The molecule responsible for the red look of animal meat also provides an important component of meat’s taste,” Brown says. “Our ‘plant blood’ contains the same molecule, and is the main reason our plant meat tastes like animal meat when you cook it. The only difference is that we get our “blood” from plants instead of an animal.”
The burger also duplicates things like fat and connective tissue so the texture feels right.
The Latest on: Plant burger
via Google News
The Latest on: Plant burger
- Beyond Meat makes the beefiest-smelling veggie burger, scientsts discoveron August 23, 2021 at 11:03 am
Researchers at Eastern Kentucky University compared the sizzling aromas of eight brands with the odour of a real beefburger ...
- Some plant-based burgers smell more like real beef than others, study showson August 23, 2021 at 10:08 am
"Beyond Burgers" from Beyond Meat smell the most like traditional beef hamburgers compared with other plant-based, meatless alternatives, an analysis presented Monday during the American Chemical ...
- 'Animal protein will not be enough': Meat giant JBS sees future in Colorado plant-based protein startupon August 23, 2021 at 7:23 am
The head of the U.S.'s largest meatpacker explains its backing of the Colorado plant-based meat startup behind Ozo burgers. "Animal protein will not be enough," he says.
- Scientists sniff out beefy aroma in plant-based burgerson August 23, 2021 at 6:02 am
Researchers at the University of Eastern Kentucky have carried out an analysis into the aroma compounds produced by cooking real and plant-based burgers in order to identify the compounds which cause ...
- One the scent of the most beef-like plant-based burgeron August 23, 2021 at 5:57 am
Why do beef burgers smell like they do? Scientists investigated with a view to improving the scent of plant-based alternatives.
- Plant-based meat company to launch chicken burger into retailon August 23, 2021 at 2:33 am
The UK’s fastest-growing meat-alternative brand, Meatless Farm, is launching its first chicken retail product, a plant-based chicken burger, into over 300 Tesco stores nationwide on the 20 September.
- How does YOUR favourite stack up? Scientists reveal which plant-based burgers SMELL the most like real beef - with Beyond Burger topping the list thanks to its meaty aromaon August 23, 2021 at 2:00 am
With the rise in plant alternatives to burgers, researchers from Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, Kentucky explored the smell of the various options.
- Sniffing out which plant-based burgers smell the most like real beefon August 23, 2021 at 2:00 am
For many meat eaters, summer barbecues wouldn't be the same without the mouthwatering aroma of burgers cooking on the grill. But many people are now open to trying plant-based alternatives, as long as ...
- Sniffing out which plant-based burgers smell most like real beefon August 23, 2021 at 1:00 am
For many meat eaters, summer barbecues wouldn't be the same without the mouthwatering aroma of burgers cooking on the grill.
- Plant-based innovation for Latin America: Beyond Burgerson August 19, 2021 at 11:46 am
Latin American players are becoming a formidable force in the global plant-based landscape, yet there's still plenty of room for innovation in the market. Read more.
via Bing News