A team of researchers at Michigan State University has developed a new type of solar concentrator that when placed over a window creates solar energy while allowing people to actually see through the window.
It is called a transparent luminescent solar concentrator and can be used on buildings, cell phones and any other device that has a clear surface.
And, according to Richard Lunt of MSU’s College of Engineering, the key word is “transparent.”
Research in the production of energy from solar cells placed around luminescent plastic-like materials is not new. These past efforts, however, have yielded poor results – the energy production was inefficient and the materials were highly colored.
“No one wants to sit behind colored glass,” said Lunt, an assistant professor of chemical engineering and materials science. “It makes for a very colorful environment, like working in a disco. We take an approach where we actually make the luminescent active layer itself transparent.”
The solar harvesting system uses small organic molecules developed by Lunt and his team to absorb specific nonvisible wavelengths of sunlight.
“We can tune these materials to pick up just the ultraviolet and the near infrared wavelengths that then ‘glow’ at another wavelength in the infrared,” he said.
The “glowing” infrared light is guided to the edge of the plastic where it is converted to electricity by thin strips of photovoltaic solar cells.
“Because the materials do not absorb or emit light in the visible spectrum, they look exceptionally transparent to the human eye,” Lunt said.
The Latest on: Solar concentrator
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar concentrator
- Concentrated Solar Power Market size with 85 Pages Spreadsheet Straight into Your Marketing Plans, Strategic Documents and Business Presentationson September 21, 2022 at 11:38 pm
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the global Concentrated Solar Power market size is estimated to be worth USD 7891.6 milpon in 2022 and is forecast to a readjusted size of USD 15160 milpon by 2028 with a ...
- Revenue of Concentrated Solar Power Market Estimated at US$ 69.7 Bn by 2031, TMR Studyon September 21, 2022 at 3:42 pm
Increasing integration of concentrated solar power plants with traditional power plants for generation of hybrid energy presents value-grab opportunities Focus of governments to use renewable ...
- There’s a huge surge in solar production under way – and Australia could show the world how to use iton September 21, 2022 at 1:01 pm
By 2025, factories are on track to churn out enough silicon to produce the equivalent of all installed solar – every year.
- Research seeks ways to grow solar and crops together in the skeptical Corn Belton September 19, 2022 at 5:00 am
It’s a practice known as “agrivoltaics” or “agrisolar,” where active farming and solar happen in the same place instead of separately.
- Agrivoltaics putting crops and solar power side by sideon September 19, 2022 at 2:30 am
Acres of corn stand tall on both sides of a narrow country road in northwest Indiana. It's late August and the corn is tasseling, its golden ...
- This invention may be able to supercharge solar energyon September 17, 2022 at 10:54 am
A new innovation by a group of Stanford researchers may hold the key to supercharging solar panels without the use of moving parts. Could this be the invention that powers our renewable future?
- Concentrated Solar Power Market Research Report | $8,046.7 MN By 2026on September 16, 2022 at 6:10 am
The key players contributing in the global concentrated solar power market growth include Abengoa Acciona SolarReserve BrightSource Energy ACWA Power GE Energy Suntrace SCHOTT Frennel GMBH Siemens.
- Concentrating Solar Power Market Worth $19.9 Billion by 2027 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarketson September 12, 2022 at 4:34 am
CHICAGO, Sept. 12, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Concentrating Solar Power Market is projected to grow from USD 6.0 billion in 2022 to USD 19.9 billion by 2027, at a CAGR of 26.9% according to a new report ...
- Concentrating Solar Power Market Worth $19.9 Billion by 2027 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on September 12, 2022 at 2:52 am
id=199506567 The 50 MW to 99 MW by capacity, is expected to be the second largest Concentrating Solar Power Market during the forecast period By capacity, the Concentrating Solar Power Market has ...
- Concentrating Solar Power Market Worth $19.9 Billion by 2027 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on September 12, 2022 at 2:30 am
Concentrating Solar Power Market is projected to grow from USD 6.0 billion in 2022 to USD 19.9 billion by 2027, at a CAGR of 26.9% according to a new report by MarketsandMarkets™. The key drivers for ...
via Bing News