A team of researchers at Michigan State University has developed a new type of solar concentrator that when placed over a window creates solar energy while allowing people to actually see through the window.
It is called a transparent luminescent solar concentrator and can be used on buildings, cell phones and any other device that has a clear surface.
And, according to Richard Lunt of MSU’s College of Engineering, the key word is “transparent.”
Research in the production of energy from solar cells placed around luminescent plastic-like materials is not new. These past efforts, however, have yielded poor results – the energy production was inefficient and the materials were highly colored.
“No one wants to sit behind colored glass,” said Lunt, an assistant professor of chemical engineering and materials science. “It makes for a very colorful environment, like working in a disco. We take an approach where we actually make the luminescent active layer itself transparent.”
The solar harvesting system uses small organic molecules developed by Lunt and his team to absorb specific nonvisible wavelengths of sunlight.
“We can tune these materials to pick up just the ultraviolet and the near infrared wavelengths that then ‘glow’ at another wavelength in the infrared,” he said.
The “glowing” infrared light is guided to the edge of the plastic where it is converted to electricity by thin strips of photovoltaic solar cells.
“Because the materials do not absorb or emit light in the visible spectrum, they look exceptionally transparent to the human eye,” Lunt said.
The Latest on: Solar concentrator
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar concentrator
- Solar Eclipse 2021: What views will the sky offer?on December 3, 2021 at 7:48 am
The upcoming Total Solar eclipse will last for four hours and eight minutes, starting at 12:30 PM (IST) and reaching its peak at 1:03 PM (IST).
- Concentrating Solar Power Newson December 2, 2021 at 7:03 pm
Department of Energy launches second round of Solar Desalination Prize with new focus on storage. NREL was granted 40 U.S. patents during fiscal 2020, a bump from the 32 issued during the prior fiscal ...
- Athena Technology Acquisition Corp. and Heliogen, Inc., a Leading Provider of AI-Enabled Concentrated Solar Power, Announce Filing of Definitive Proxyon December 2, 2021 at 1:35 pm
ATHN #ArtificialIntelligence--Athena Technology Acquisition Corp. (NYSE: ATHN) (“ATHN”), a publicly-traded special purpose acquisition company, announced today that ATHN’s definitive proxy statement ( ...
- Benchmark costs for five solar PV module technologieson December 2, 2021 at 7:05 am
This lightweight CIGS photovoltaic cell, on flexible stainless steel, was made by Matthew Reese and his team at NREL. Photo by Dennis Schroeder / NREL In ...
- Global Concentrated Solar Power Systems Market 2021 Report Reviews on Key Manufacturers, Regional markets, Application and Segmentation by 2027on December 1, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Global Concentrated Solar Power Systems Market Research Report 2021-2027 is anovel studyreleased by MarketandResearch.biz. The study has been gaining popularity among various stakeholders involved in ...
- Space-Based Solar Power May Be Closer Than You Thinkon November 30, 2021 at 8:43 pm
If a kilometer-scale satellite could be outfitted with a hybrid array of photovoltaic (PV) and concentrating solar power (CSP) panels and launched into orbit 22,400 miles above ...
- Maryland is now home to the largest rooftop community solar project in the U.S.on November 30, 2021 at 9:00 am
A 9.2-megawatt solar array on the roof of a commercial warehouse in Maryland is now the largest rooftop community solar project in the U.S.
- Stacey Abrams nominated to board of solar energy firmon November 29, 2021 at 9:00 am
Solar energy company Heliogen announced Monday that it has nominated former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams to its board.
- Concentrating Solar Power Market Share 2021 Competitive Landscape, Future Trends, Global Growth, Top Manufacturers and Forecast to 2026on November 29, 2021 at 1:11 am
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry” Global “Concentrating Solar Power ...
- The Most Advanced 6 Inventions Proves That; Solar Energy is The Future of Energy.on November 28, 2021 at 7:56 am
In this modern age of technology, the consumption of electrical energy or all other sorts of energy goes on increasing, with an increase in demand for energy, human beings are constantly upgrading ...
via Bing News