Laser physicists have built a tractor beam that can repel and attract objects, using a hollow laser beam that is bright around the edges and dark in its centre.
It is the first long-distance optical tractor beam and moved particles one fifth of a millimetre in diameter a distance of up to 20 centimetres, around 100 times further than previous experiments.
“Demonstration of a large scale laser beam like this is a kind of holy grail for laser physicists,” said Professor Wieslaw Krolikowski, from the Research School of Physics and Engineering.
The new technique is versatile because it requires only a single laser beam. It could be used, for example, in controlling atmospheric pollution or for the retrieval of tiny, delicate or dangerous particles for sampling.
The researchers can also imagine the effect being scaled up.
“Because lasers retain their beam quality for such long distances, this could work over metres. Our lab just was not big enough to show it,” said co-author Dr Vladlen Shvedov, a driving force behind the ANU project, along with Dr Cyril Hnatovsky.
Unlike previous techniques, which used photon momentum to impart motion, the ANU tractor beam relies on the energy of the laser heating up the particles and the air around them. The ANU team demonstrated the effect on gold-coated hollow glass particles.
The particles are trapped in the dark centre of the beam. Energy from the laser hits the particle and travels across its surface, where it is absorbed creating hotspots on the surface. Air particles colliding with the hotspots heat up and shoot away from the surface, which causes the particle to recoil, in the opposite direction.
The Latest on: Tractor beam
via Google News
The Latest on: Tractor beam
- Idaho fire departments train for dangerous trench rescueson June 15, 2021 at 5:30 pm
The twisted body of a dummy lay under a beam at the bottom of a trench Tuesday. Mounds of dirt lined the edges of the trench. Firefighters from Nampa, Caldwell, Weiser and Twin Falls participated in ...
- Convict gets life in prison for Tennessee official’s deathon June 14, 2021 at 2:58 pm
A convicted felon accused of raping and killing a Tennessee corrections administrator and then escaping from prison on a farm tractor was sentenced to life without parole ...
- Are LA's High-Rises Ready for the Big One?on June 14, 2021 at 2:00 pm
That’s because scientists and structural engineers who study big earthquakes now believe older WSMF buildings could collapse if the ground shakes hard enough. But little has been done to address that ...
- Structural fabricator boosts throughput, on a hillsideon June 14, 2021 at 5:00 am
SCW Contracting Corp. bills itself as a provider of structural fabrication solutions. And it does just that, despite the company’s topographical challenges.
- SugArena among area projects getting help from capital outlay budgeton June 13, 2021 at 4:00 am
The recently completed spring session of the Louisiana Legislature was a productive one, from all accounts, but it is especially important for several projects in the Teche Area that received ...
- Fortnite aliens: how to get alien weapons and fly UFOson June 11, 2021 at 3:58 am
Everything you need to know about the alien weapons and piloting UFOs in Fortnite Want to know where to find the Fortnite alien weapons? There have been plenty of big changes to Fortnite Chapter 2 ...
- Port of Tarragona Completes First 460 Meters of Balearic Wharf Edge Beamon June 10, 2021 at 8:30 am
The Port of Tarragona has completed the 460-m edge beam on the outer part of the Balearic Wharf using a total of 4,000 square meters of concrete. This ...
- Fortnite’s latest Season 7 teaser reveals alien pistol, takes jab at Supermanon June 6, 2021 at 3:34 pm
Season 7 teaser, this one similar to the first teaser but with one big twist: it reveals what appears to be a piece of alien technology. The audio ...
- Biles in control once again at US Gymnastics Championshipson June 4, 2021 at 7:29 pm
Looks like the rust is gone for Simone Biles. Well, almost. The reigning Olympic and world gymnastics champion put on a dazzling show at the U.S. Championships on Friday ...
- Hauer's lighter front loader range for up to 400hp tractorson June 4, 2021 at 1:26 pm
Loader manufacturer, Hauer, has launched the XB Bionic II, a comprehensive update of the company’s successful front loader range.
via Bing News