Laser physicists have built a tractor beam that can repel and attract objects, using a hollow laser beam that is bright around the edges and dark in its centre.
It is the first long-distance optical tractor beam and moved particles one fifth of a millimetre in diameter a distance of up to 20 centimetres, around 100 times further than previous experiments.
“Demonstration of a large scale laser beam like this is a kind of holy grail for laser physicists,” said Professor Wieslaw Krolikowski, from the Research School of Physics and Engineering.
The new technique is versatile because it requires only a single laser beam. It could be used, for example, in controlling atmospheric pollution or for the retrieval of tiny, delicate or dangerous particles for sampling.
The researchers can also imagine the effect being scaled up.
“Because lasers retain their beam quality for such long distances, this could work over metres. Our lab just was not big enough to show it,” said co-author Dr Vladlen Shvedov, a driving force behind the ANU project, along with Dr Cyril Hnatovsky.
Unlike previous techniques, which used photon momentum to impart motion, the ANU tractor beam relies on the energy of the laser heating up the particles and the air around them. The ANU team demonstrated the effect on gold-coated hollow glass particles.
The particles are trapped in the dark centre of the beam. Energy from the laser hits the particle and travels across its surface, where it is absorbed creating hotspots on the surface. Air particles colliding with the hotspots heat up and shoot away from the surface, which causes the particle to recoil, in the opposite direction.
The Latest on: Tractor beam
via Google News
The Latest on: Tractor beam
- Mike Yardley: Artisan sparkle in New Plymouthon April 10, 2021 at 5:47 am
New Plymouth is a star specimen of a plucky provincial destination punching far beyond its weight class. There’s a palpable sense of pride in the perky cit ...
- It took a sea and land journey to prove to scientists they were wrong about physicson April 7, 2021 at 9:59 am
When the barge got close to Chicago, the freight was transferred to a flatbed tractor trailer and driven the rest of the ... the g-2 measuring device with Fermilab's more powerful muon beams and ...
- Automakers exploring new ways for you to pay for 'software dream cars'on April 7, 2021 at 7:00 am
So when my car engages me in hand-to-hand combat while I'm trying to edge away from a tractor-trailer, the lane-keeping is going ... an editor with CAR magazine in the U.K., recently reported pushing ...
- ‘Star Wars’ shows what guard duty is really likeon April 5, 2021 at 5:52 am
Then they take their positions in the doorway of the housing area for the station’s tractor beam, and begin their watch. (Note: I’m sorry to admit this, readers, but it was terribly difficult ...
- How 13 migrants in one SUV died 15 miles from the US-Mexico border in violent crashon April 4, 2021 at 10:09 pm
The vehicle lurched into the path of a Peterbilt tractor-trailer rig barreling down state Route ... 1 million people separated from the United States by a rust-colored steel-beam fence that soars up ...
- Fiat 500 | Shed of the Weekon April 1, 2021 at 6:10 pm
It's a bally outrage! Thing is, Shed always likes to give priority to SOTW debutants, which this 500 is, if only because it means he's got something new to talk about. The only time a Fiat 500 has ...
- Welding Equipment Market Size, Future Growth, Share, Supply, Demand, Segments and Forecast 2021-2028, Fortune Business Insightson March 31, 2021 at 1:34 am
According to the report, published in a recent report by Fortune Business Insights, titled, “Welding Equipment ...
- Why combining farms and solar panels could transform how we produce both food and energyon March 30, 2021 at 11:15 am
Putting solar panels on farmland can result in astonishing productivity gains and improved energy efficiency. Except when it doesn't.
- Bristol City's new training ground leaves one final piece of promotion jigsaw for the Lansdownson March 30, 2021 at 12:02 am
The Lansdown family are showing that they are serious: they want to go up to the Premier League now. But there is still some construction needed.
- Franklin County railroad’s added track leads to new car barnon March 29, 2021 at 9:00 pm
Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway volunteers came to town to help lay track to the new car barn. Longtime WWF volunteer Fred Morse made a couple of visits to the SRRL Railroad to check ...
via Bing News