Laser physicists have built a tractor beam that can repel and attract objects, using a hollow laser beam that is bright around the edges and dark in its centre.
It is the first long-distance optical tractor beam and moved particles one fifth of a millimetre in diameter a distance of up to 20 centimetres, around 100 times further than previous experiments.
“Demonstration of a large scale laser beam like this is a kind of holy grail for laser physicists,” said Professor Wieslaw Krolikowski, from the Research School of Physics and Engineering.
The new technique is versatile because it requires only a single laser beam. It could be used, for example, in controlling atmospheric pollution or for the retrieval of tiny, delicate or dangerous particles for sampling.
The researchers can also imagine the effect being scaled up.
“Because lasers retain their beam quality for such long distances, this could work over metres. Our lab just was not big enough to show it,” said co-author Dr Vladlen Shvedov, a driving force behind the ANU project, along with Dr Cyril Hnatovsky.
Unlike previous techniques, which used photon momentum to impart motion, the ANU tractor beam relies on the energy of the laser heating up the particles and the air around them. The ANU team demonstrated the effect on gold-coated hollow glass particles.
The particles are trapped in the dark centre of the beam. Energy from the laser hits the particle and travels across its surface, where it is absorbed creating hotspots on the surface. Air particles colliding with the hotspots heat up and shoot away from the surface, which causes the particle to recoil, in the opposite direction.
The Latest on: Tractor beam
via Google News
The Latest on: Tractor beam
- Robot tractors could soon solve farm labor crisison October 15, 2021 at 5:01 am
Fixing ag’s labor problems? An autonomous tractor that tills your fields 24/7 while you work on planting or spraying will likely be rolled out on Corn Belt farms in the near future. Many large ...
- Truck driver charged with DUI after crash on I-91 in Wallingfordon October 14, 2021 at 12:29 pm
A tractor-trailer driver faces charges including DUI after police said he crashed into guardrails while driving on Interstate 91 Wednesday night. Dennis Goncalves Medeiros, 45, of 25 Haven St., New ...
- DUI Tractor-Trailer Driver Charged In Crash That Closed I-91: PDon October 14, 2021 at 12:10 pm
A man faces DUI and other charges in connection with a crash that closed part of I-91 in Wallingford for several hours on Wednesday night.
- Police: New Haven man was under the influence when he dropped metal beams across I-91 in Wallingfordon October 14, 2021 at 11:56 am
A New Haven man was allegedly driving under the influence with a minor when he lost control of his tractor-trailer on Interstate 91 and dropped metal debris across the road that took hours to clean up ...
- Flatbed driver was drunk when he caused I-91 wreck in Wallingfordon October 14, 2021 at 7:40 am
A tractor trailer driver was driving under the influence when he caused a crash that closed Interstate 91 north in Wallingford on Wednesday night, according to state police.
- Trucker charged with DUI after crash shuts down I-91 Wednesday nighton October 14, 2021 at 7:30 am
A truck driver was charged with driving under the influence after a crash that shut down the highway for hours Wednesday night. Dennis Goncalves Medeiros, 46, was charged with: Risk of Injury to a ...
- ‘Cars Were Skidding and Twisting’: Connecticut Man Allegedly Carjacked Tractor-Trailer During Rush Hour on Interstateon October 13, 2021 at 4:31 pm
Police say the suspect "assaulted the tractor-trailer operator by striking him multiple times with a metal thermos and pushing him out of the tractor onto the highway." ...
- Man Carjacked Tractor-Trailer, Attacked 3, Hit 10 Cars: Policeon October 13, 2021 at 3:14 pm
A man ran onto I-95 in New Haven, assaulted a driver, stole his semi, struck 10 cars, and attacked trooper and state official, police said.
- PD: Suspect stole 18-wheeler, crashed into several cars on I-95 Tuesday afternoonon October 13, 2021 at 1:36 pm
An arrest was made following a crash on Tuesday afternoon that smashed up a number of cars and sent six people to the hospital.
- Police: New Haven man allegedly steals tractor-trailer, hits 10 cars on Interstate 95on October 13, 2021 at 12:58 pm
A New Haven man allegedly carjacked a tractor-trailer Tuesday, crashing into 10 cars on Interstate 95 before allegedly fighting with officials until he was taken into custody, according to. State ...
via Bing News