In 2005, in a landmark paper viewed well over a million times, John Ioannidis explained in PLOS Medicine why most published research findings are false.
To coincide with PLOS Medicine’s 10th anniversary he responds to the challenge of this situation by suggesting how the research enterprise could be improved.
Research, including medical research, is subject to a range of biases which mean that misleading or useless work is sometimes pursued and published while work of value is ignored. The risks and rewards of academic careers, the structures and habits of peer reviewed journals, and the way universities and research institutions are set up and governed all have profound effects on what research scientists undertake, how they choose to do it and, ultimately, how patients are treated. Perverse incentives can lead scientists to waste time producing and publishing results which are wrong or useless. Understanding these incentives and altering them provides a potential way for drastically re-shaping research to improve in medical knowledge.
In a provocative and personal essay, designed to spur readers into thinking about how research careers could be redesigned in order to encourage better work, Ioannidis suggests practical ways in which our current situation could be improved. He describes how successful practices from some branches of science could be distributed to others which have performed badly, and suggests ways in which academic structures could provide greater benefits from the work of researchers, administrators, publishers and the research funding which supports them all.
The Latest on: Medical research
via Google News
The Latest on: Medical research
- NEXS Research & Development Group, Inc. Partners With BLVD Medical to Address National PPE Shortages and Counterfeit Medical Supplieson March 4, 2021 at 10:45 pm
NEXS Research & Development Group is proud to announce a major advancement in its efforts to protect frontline medical, research, and pharmaceutical staff. In partnership with BLVD Medical, NEXS is ...
- Medical image software analysis Market Research Report Growth Forecast 2025on March 4, 2021 at 11:31 am
This study elucidates how the Medical image software analysis market will perform over the forecast timeline. Growth indicators as well as the growth rate of the industry during the study period has ...
- Europe Medical Gloves Market- Trends & Leading Players| Industry Size, Growth, Segments, Revenue, Manufacturers & Forecast Research Reporton March 4, 2021 at 11:15 am
Europe medical gloves market report 2020 focuses on the major Types and Applications for the key players. The market forecast report also provides analysis of the market share, segmentation, revenue ...
- The need for ethical guidance for the use of patient-reported outcomes in research and clinical practiceon March 4, 2021 at 9:27 am
Patient-reported outcomes (PROs) are increasingly being used in clinical research to provide evidence of the benefits and risk of therapy from a patient perspective. PRO data from clinical trials can ...
- New Research Reveals More CROs Taking Action to Meet Urgent Need for Faster Clinical Trialson March 4, 2021 at 4:57 am
Contract research organizations (CROs) are making significant advancements to modernize and speed clinical trials, according to new research report.
- Eastern Michigan University Clinical Research Administration Program Ranked Third Best in the U.S., Top Program in Michigan, According to New Rankingson March 4, 2021 at 4:40 am
The Clinical Research Administration graduate program at Eastern Michigan University is the third highest ranked program in the United States and number one in Michigan according to ...
- Asia Pacific Medical Writing Market Report 2020-2027: High Growth in Clinical Research and Trials Presents Opportunitieson March 4, 2021 at 1:37 am
The "Asia Pacific Medical Writing Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis by Type; Application; End User, and Others; and Country" report has been added to ...
- Algernon Pharmaceuticals CEO and Dr. David Nutt to Discuss DMT Stroke Clinical Research Program Featured on BioPub Webcast Hosted by Dr. KSS MD, PhDon March 3, 2021 at 5:09 am
Algernon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (CSE: AGN) (FRANKFURT: AGW) (OTCQB: AGNPF) (the “Company” or “Algernon”), a clinical stage pharmaceutical development company, is pleased to announce that Algernon’s CEO ...
- Should you get a coronavirus vaccine if you're pregnant? Experts say medical trials need to change.on March 3, 2021 at 4:00 am
"Women have a secure place along with men, an equal place along with men, in the way in which biomedical research is done. The one group that was left behind was pregnant women," bioethicist says.
- Forian launched through combination of Helix Technologies and Medical Outcomes Research Analyticson March 2, 2021 at 4:18 pm
Forian Inc. announced that it has completed the combination of Helix Technologies, Inc. (OTCQB:HLIX) and Medical Outcomes Research Analytics, LLC. The combination empowers Forian to provide a unique ...
via Bing News