An unprecedented boom in hydropower dam construction is underway, primarily in developing countries and emerging economies.
While this is expected to double the global electricity production from hydropower, it could reduce the number of our last remaining large free-flowing rivers by about 20 percent and pose a serious threat to freshwater biodiversity. A new database has been developed to support decision making on sustainable modes of electricity production. It is presented today at the international congress Global Challenges: Achieving Sustainability hosted by the University of Copenhagen.
The intensified demand for electricity from renewable sources has kick-started the hydropower development into a new era: Following a period of a flattening trend, an unprecedented number of dams for electricity production is currently under construction or planned worldwide. However, the boom occurs primarily in developing countries and emerging economies in South America, Southeast Asia and Africa, that also hold some of the world’s most important sites for freshwater biodiversity.
“Hydropower is an integrated part of transitioning to renewable energy and currently the largest contributor of renewable electricity. However, it is vital that hydropower dams do not create a new problem for the biodiversity in the world’s freshwater systems, due to fragmentation and the expected changes in the flow and sediment regime. That is why we have compiled available data on future expected hydropower dams – to form a key foundation for evaluating where and how to build the dams and how to operate them sustainably”, says Prof. Dr. Christiane Zarfl (now Universität Tübingen) who, together with her colleagues, performed the study at the Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB) in Berlin. She is presenting the database today at the congress Global Challenges: Achieving Sustainability.
Hydropower may double in electricity capacity
Renewables account for 20 percent of the global electricity production today, with hydropower contributing 80 percent of the total share. An expected 3700 major dams may more than double the total electricity capacity of hydropower to 1,700 GW within the next two decades.
The Latest on: Hydropower
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydropower
- Berea is first college in U.S. to finish hydropower projecton December 4, 2021 at 9:16 am
It’s the first hydroelectric project in the nation completed by a college, for example. Berea College owns the project with a company called Appalachian Hydro Associates, which was the general ...
- EANS-Adhoc: ANDRITZ to supply electro-mechanical equipment for nine hydropower stations in Mexicoon December 4, 2021 at 6:36 am
International technology group ANDRITZ has been selected by Comisión Federal de Electricidad, the national utility of Mexico, to modernize and upgrade nine hydropower stations. ANDRITZ will execute ...
- Global Small Hydropower Turbine Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026on December 3, 2021 at 2:09 am
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global Small Hydropower Turbine Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 report by Global Info Research. The Small Hydropower ...
- Court to decide New England hydropower project's fate as Mainers say 'NIMBY'on December 3, 2021 at 12:00 am
The future of the New England Clean Energy Connect is now up to Maine's courts after voters resolved "not in my backyard" on the significant hydropower transmission project last month.
- Vaughn, Miller: Oregon senator should champion hydropoweron December 1, 2021 at 3:12 pm
Kurt Miller is executive director of Northwest RiverPartners How can Build Back Better not include a staple like hydropower? According to the most recently available data from the state of Oregon ...
- Small Hydropower Market Growth, Top Countries Data, Cost Structures, Prominent Players, Latest Trends and Forecasts 2021-2026on November 29, 2021 at 11:27 pm
Global “Small Hydropower Market” is a professional and in-depth study on the current state of the Small Hydropower industry. The report provides a basic overview of the industry including definitions, ...
- Hydropower Generation Market Size is Projected to Showcase Significant Growth Over 2026on November 26, 2021 at 5:21 am
Global Hydropower Generation Market is valued approximately at USD XX billion in 2018 and is anticipated to grow with a healthy growth rate of more than XX% over the forecast period 2019-2026. The ...
- CTG commissions 100th generator in Yangtze River cascade hydropower stationson November 24, 2021 at 2:00 am
The No. 4 unit at the 16-GW Baihetan hydro station began operating Nov. 19, the 100th hydraulic generator commissioned by CTG along the Yangtze River.
- Small hydropower proves to be anally for rural communitieson November 21, 2021 at 9:47 am
The poet John Donne said “no man is an island.” Instead, everyone is part of a greater community. The same is true for power plants – most of the time. Normally, plants connect to the grid and help ...
- Hydropower project of CPEC starts reservoir impoundment in Pakistanon November 20, 2021 at 5:50 pm
Workers work at the spillway of the Karot Hydropower Project in Pakistan's eastern Punjab province on Nov. 19, 2021. (Xinhua/Li Hao) Around 95 percent of the Karot Hydropower Project has been ...
via Bing News