Alcohol consumption isn’t the only thing a breath analysis can reveal.
Scientists have been studying its possible use for diagnosing a wide range of conditions in humans — and now in the beloved bottlenose dolphin. In a report in the ACS journal Analytical Chemistry, one team describes a new instrument that can analyze the metabolites in breath from dolphins, which have been dying in alarming numbers along the Atlantic coast this year.
Cristina E. Davis and colleagues note that studying dolphins’ health is about more than preserving their populations — the popular mammals also can serve as sentinels for overall ocean health. But invasive techniques such as skin biopsies and blood sampling, which are the most effective ways to test their health, are difficult to perform. An intriguing alternative comes from research on human-health monitoring with breath analyzers. Exhaled breath contains compounds called metabolites that can hint at a person’s diet, activity level, environmental exposures or disease state. Davis’ team wanted to develop a way to capture dolphin breath so they could gather this kind of information on marine mammals.
The researchers designed an insulated tube customized to trap the breath exhaled from the blowhole of the bottlenose dolphin. They tested it on dolphins both in the wild and under human care. The scientists established baseline breath profiles of healthy animals and identified changes in the breath of animals affected by disease or other factors. The researchers conclude that breath analysis could someday be used to diagnose and monitor problems in marine mammals — and by extension, in ocean health.
The Latest on: Breath analysis
via Google News
The Latest on: Breath analysis
- Feds Seek Contractor To Help Test Marijuana Compounds In People’s Breathon August 5, 2022 at 1:37 pm
The federal government will spend more than $1.4 million to study how the concentration of marijuana compounds in people’s breath changes over time after consuming it, part of an ongoing effort to ...
- Pippa Middleton's £250,000 Asscher-cut engagement ring is 'breath-taking' - pictureson August 5, 2022 at 5:49 am
PIPPA MIDDLETON owns a beautiful engagement ring that rivals her sister Kate Middleton's in value, and Express.co.uk has all the best pictures of the breath-taking sparkler.
- Roadside breath demand refusal not excused by interference of right to counsel: BC Court of Appealon August 4, 2022 at 12:24 pm
Interference by police still warranted reconsideration of administrative driving prohibition Interference by police of the right to counsel is not reasonable excuse to refuse to comply with a formal ...
- Santoli: Wall Street holds its breath – and the rally – as a key payrolls report loomson August 4, 2022 at 8:50 am
This is the daily notebook of Mike Santoli, CNBC’s senior markets commentator, with ideas about trends, stocks and market statistics.
- ‘I put my head down to get a breath’: A moment plucked from a bushfire gains immortalityon August 4, 2022 at 7:00 am
The image of a firefighter, exhausted and resting on his rakehoe, memorialises all Rural Fire Service firefighters who have lost their lives on duty.
- ANALYSIS: SBP’s problem is way bigger than its coachon August 3, 2022 at 9:18 pm
A J-curve is any of J-shaped figures used in anything from economics to politics that depict a curve that slopes downwards before spiking back up, higher than its original staring point. It’s ...
- Fed Hawks Lift Yields Out Of The Doldrums, Yen Pauses For Breathon August 3, 2022 at 3:38 am
Market Overview Analysis by XM Group (Trading Point) covering: United States 10-Year. Read XM Group (Trading Point)'s latest article on Investing.com ...
- Alcohol Breath Analyzer Market Size From 2022 To 2028 And Key Findings and Segments by End Use Industryon August 2, 2022 at 12:01 am
The " Alcohol Breath Analyzer Market " was valued at USD Billion in the year 2022. The increasing penetration of Alcohol Breath Analyzer Industry new launch products can further propel the market in ...
- Global Carbon Monoxide Breath Monitor Market 2022 Size, Share, Upcoming Trends, Growth, Industry Analysis, Competitors and Forecast to 2028on July 25, 2022 at 11:02 pm
Carbon Monoxide Breath Monitor Market” research contains historical statistics and an overview of sales over the ...
- Breath Analyzers Market to reach a valuation of US$ 3.40 Bn by 2032, at a CAGR of 17% from 2022-2032on July 25, 2022 at 6:00 am
Pages Report] The Global Breath Analyzers market study provides critical information related to the global, regional and top players including Breath Analyzers market share analysis, winning ...
via Bing News