Alcohol consumption isn’t the only thing a breath analysis can reveal.
Scientists have been studying its possible use for diagnosing a wide range of conditions in humans — and now in the beloved bottlenose dolphin. In a report in the ACS journal Analytical Chemistry, one team describes a new instrument that can analyze the metabolites in breath from dolphins, which have been dying in alarming numbers along the Atlantic coast this year.
Cristina E. Davis and colleagues note that studying dolphins’ health is about more than preserving their populations — the popular mammals also can serve as sentinels for overall ocean health. But invasive techniques such as skin biopsies and blood sampling, which are the most effective ways to test their health, are difficult to perform. An intriguing alternative comes from research on human-health monitoring with breath analyzers. Exhaled breath contains compounds called metabolites that can hint at a person’s diet, activity level, environmental exposures or disease state. Davis’ team wanted to develop a way to capture dolphin breath so they could gather this kind of information on marine mammals.
The researchers designed an insulated tube customized to trap the breath exhaled from the blowhole of the bottlenose dolphin. They tested it on dolphins both in the wild and under human care. The scientists established baseline breath profiles of healthy animals and identified changes in the breath of animals affected by disease or other factors. The researchers conclude that breath analysis could someday be used to diagnose and monitor problems in marine mammals — and by extension, in ocean health.
The Latest on: Breath analysis
via Google News
The Latest on: Breath analysis
- Patriot games: CRT, Christian nationalism and a battle for the real truth of Americaon July 2, 2021 at 3:01 pm
It is what whiteness has worshipped in its own identity that has many believing critical analysis of race, racism and power is a threat to their faith and their country rather than a pathway to ...
- Does the coronavirus Delta variant cause different symptoms?on July 2, 2021 at 12:44 pm
Delta variant, a highly transmissible mutated form of the virus, could cause patients to exhibit different symptoms than those experienced by earlier iterations of the disease. Researchers in the U.K.
- Intraday market analysis: USD rally catches breathon July 2, 2021 at 12:49 am
The rally has resumed after a breakout above 0.9230, the top range of the previous consolidation. Price action is rising along the moving averages as a sign of acceleration in the bullish momentum. 0.
- James Tavernier vows to defend Rangers title until 'last breath' as he sets Champions League targeton July 1, 2021 at 10:51 am
The Rangers skipper is determined to be lifting the trophy again in the new campaign after success last time out.
- Slovaks develop an analyser to detect Covid based on breathon July 1, 2021 at 2:45 am
Experts from Slovakia developed a spectrometer, which will detect Covid-19 on a person’s breath in less than a minute. The Slovak Spectator has decided to make all the articles on the special measures ...
- Oil traders holding their breathon June 30, 2021 at 11:00 pm
All traders, from bulls to bears are holding their breath before the OPEC+ decision. The expectation is that OPEC producers add another half-a-million barrel per day to the global supply, relaxing ...
- Analysis: Ingles, Bogdanovic and Gobert are Olympics-bound. Is that a good thing for the Jazz?on June 29, 2021 at 8:00 pm
Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert dunks against the LA Clippers during Game 5 of their NBA playoff series in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, June 16, 2021. Gobert is one of three Jazz players eyeing Olympic ...
- Global Breath Analyzers Market to Perform Better with Rapid Pace by 2028, Key Players - Alcopro, BACtrackon June 25, 2021 at 12:52 am
The Global Breath Analyzers Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 13 1 and is poised to reach US XX Billion by 2027 as compared to US XX Billion in 2020 The research analysis report by DECISIVE ...
- U.S. stocks pause for breath after bounce, with all eyes on Fed's Powellon June 22, 2021 at 2:32 am
U.S. stocks were putting in a mixed performance early Tuesday, as investors assessed a sharp rebound in the previous session and awaited congressional testimony by Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome ...
- Fed Aftershock Deepens In Equities But Dollar Pauses For Breathon June 21, 2021 at 2:35 am
Market Overview Analysis by XM Group (Trading Point) covering: Nikkei 225, Williams Companies Inc, US Dollar Index Futures, Brent Oil Futures. Read XM Group (Trading Point)'s latest article on ...
via Bing News