It’s only a small-scale project, but it’s exciting to see new funding models being tried out for drug development.
Here on Techdirt we’ve been pretty scathing about the way that Big Pharma develops drugs — often poorly — and then uses patent monopolies to keep prices so high that only rich Westerners can afford them. Of course, it’s easy to complain about the flaws of the current approach, but are there any alternatives? We’ve already covered one — using prizes – and now Carl Levinson points us to another potentially powerful approach: crowdsourcing. It’s already been adopted by ‘Project Marilyn’ to develop a patent-free anti-cancer drug:
The campaign will fund a xenograft experiment, which is the next step in developing the promising anti-cancer compound “9DS”. This experiment needs to be completed before 9DS can move on to clinical trials.
Here are some more details of both the drug and the project:
The drug candidate 9DS was developed at the University of Maryland. The last work done on the drug showed that it had activity against cancer competitive with leading cancer drugs such as taxol. Moreover, 9DS is also likely to have lower side effects than most chemotherapies, since a related compound, SJG-136, seems to have low side effects in early clinical trials.
Project Marilyn involves: production of more 9DS, and submitting 9DS to a xenograft study (‘curing cancer in mice’). This is the next step in drug development and an important one on the way to doing clinical (human) studies. The process we’re seeking to fund should take approximately 6 months. If we receive more funding, we will add stretch goals, such as further preclinical experiments on 9DS, development 9DS analogs, or other exciting anti-cancer ideas.
Of course, even if enough money is raised — at the time of writing, just over a quarter of the crowdfunding target has been pledged — there’s still much more work to be done before the drug can be sold to the public. An article in the Times of San Diego explains what will happen next:
The Latest on: Patent-free drug
via Google News
The Latest on: Patent-free drug
- EU Leukemia Drugs Market with Progressing CAGR in Forecast Period 2020 to 2028on August 26, 2021 at 9:35 pm
The EU Leukemia Drugs Market for the forecasting period of 2019-2028. The report is made out with a comprehensive analysis of the current market and pulled down the key factors that propel the growth ...
- Pittsburgh-based PinMed Adds Two Patents to the Company's Growing Portfolioon August 23, 2021 at 5:44 am
PITTSBURGH, Aug. 23, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- PinMed, a medical-device company based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has added two U.S. patents to its portfolio of ... PinMed developed an innovative, ...
- Oncology Pharma’s Co-Development Agreement Pursues Strategic and Direct Objectiveson August 23, 2021 at 5:06 am
SAN FRANCISCO, CA / ACCESSWIRE / August 23, 2021 / Oncology Pharma, Inc. (OTC PINK:ONPH) defines its objective and strategy for recently signed Co-Development deal. The primary goal of the ...
- Opinion: It’s about time for patent reform in Indiaon August 22, 2021 at 11:26 pm
With the last amendment to the Patents Act in 2005, key changes are urgently required to boost innovation and ensure access to technology ...
- One man's quest to get an AI machine a patent gathers momentumon August 22, 2021 at 11:06 am
South Africa and Australia's decision that an AI machine can be listed as inventor on a patent is putting pressure on the US, Europe to resolve the issue ...
- One man’s quest to grant an AI a patent gathers momentumon August 22, 2021 at 7:23 am
Recent decisions from South Africa and Australia that an artificial intelligence machine can be listed as inventor on a patent is putting greater pressure on the US and Europe to resolve debates over ...
- Indian Invasive Anti-Fungal Drugs Market with Progressing CAGR in Forecast Period 2020 to 2028on August 21, 2021 at 3:51 am
The Indian Invasive Anti-fungal Drugs marketfor the forecasting period of 2019-2028. The report is made out with a comprehensive analysis of the current market and pulled down the ...
- Global To Be the Compelling Factor for Cell Free Protein Expression Market Reach US$ 268.4 Million From 2024on August 20, 2021 at 1:26 pm
The primary factors fuelling demand for cell free protein expression market are increasing R&D outsourcing by pharmaceutical and biotechnological companies, declining R&D productivity and patent cliff ...
- Munich I Regional Court's third patent litigation division commenced its operation on Monday, first administrative decisions are already knownon August 19, 2021 at 1:04 am
As the Landgericht München I (Munich I Regional Court) announced in late June , its new patent litigation division started its work on ...
- In Vaccine Patents Debate, a Flawed Logic Tries To Justify Profits Above Liveson August 17, 2021 at 8:29 pm
If greed-driven companies fail to exercise their powers responsibly, they should face competition from the public sector.
via Bing News