University of Michigan research shows web-based system could help improve detection and response to spread of illnesses
Researchers who designed the biosurveillance system will describe how it can be used to track illness trends and improve public health response to outbreaks during a presentation at 2:09 p.m. PDT in Marina Ballroom Salon E at the San Diego Marriott Marquis.
“For example, if certain child care centers are reporting the beginning of stomach flu (vomiting and diarrhea), other centers can start taking steps to thoroughly clean to kill any viruses before symptoms occur or before a major outbreak takes place,” says Andrew N. Hashikawa, M.D., F.A.A.P., a pediatric emergency physician at the University of Michigan’s C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.
In addition, if child care providers see that larger centers in their community are reporting flu-like illness, they can use the data to emphasize to parents the need to have their children immunized against influenza sooner rather than later, says Hashikawa, who also is assistant professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, at the University of Michigan Medical School.
Children under age 5 generally become sick earlier and more frequently than school-aged children and adults because their immune systems are underdeveloped. Young children often are responsible for spreading viruses to the rest of the community.
Previously some public health departments have found that school absenteeism as a marker for illness was imprecise, delayed, and unavailable during summer and winter breaks.
The Latest on: Disease outbreaks
via Google News
The Latest on: Disease outbreaks
- Indonesia aiming to get foot and mouth disease under control by year-endon August 2, 2022 at 5:49 am
Indonesia is aiming to get its foot and mouth disease (FMD)outbreak under control by the end of this year, a government official said on Tuesday, as it forges ahead with a programme to vaccinate ...
- The Witcher Netflix Season 3 resumes production following COVID outbreakon August 2, 2022 at 5:47 am
The Witcher Season 3 has resumed production at Netflix, after it was paused last month due to a COVID outbreak.
- Biden taps top officials from FEMA and CDC to coordinate fight against monkeypox outbreakon August 2, 2022 at 4:15 am
President Joe Biden has tapped top officials to coordinate the response to monkeypox amid criticisms over pace of vaccine availability.
- Monkeypox virus outbreak: 8 cases so far in India, no specific community at risk, says Centreon August 2, 2022 at 4:03 am
Eight cases of the monkeypox disease have been detected in India so far, of which, five have foreign travel history, the Minister of Health and Family Welfare Mansukh Madaviya said.
- Monkeypox has spread to Wisconsin. Here's what you need to know about the disease and how to avoid it.on August 2, 2022 at 4:00 am
Wisconsin health officials are asking for people to be aware of their personal risk factors and quickly seek medical advice if exposed.
- California declares a state of emergency over monkeypox outbreak, following New York and Illinoison August 2, 2022 at 3:01 am
California's declaration comes after Illinois declared a public health emergency earlier Monday. New York declared a state disaster emergency late Friday.
- Biden to tap FEMA, CDC officials to head White House response to monkeypox outbreakon August 2, 2022 at 2:55 am
President Joe Biden is set to name top officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to serve as the White House coordinators to combat the ...
- NY monkeypox outbreak: Disparities come into focus as vaccine push expandson August 2, 2022 at 2:03 am
Outside New York City, monkeypox has disproportionately harmed Hispanic/Latino people, as officials raced to provide 110K new vaccine doses statewide.
- Gov. Pritzker declares monkeypox virus outbreak in Illinois a Public Health Emergencyon August 1, 2022 at 8:46 pm
Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker on Monday declared the monkeypox virus a public health emergency, and declared Illinois a disaster area regarding the disease. The declaration applies statewide, and will ...
- Symptoms of monkeypox differ from previous outbreakson August 1, 2022 at 7:38 pm
Study: Clinical Features and Novel Presentations of Human Monkeypox in A Central London Centre During The 2022 Outbreak: Descriptive Case Series. Image Credit: Lightspring / Shutterstock.com Monkeypox ...
via Bing News