Researchers at Tohoku University in Japan have developed a new low-cost flat panel light source that could pioneer a new generation of brighter, cheaper and greener lighting devices to rival LEDs.
The device uses arrays of highly conductive carbon nanotubes to deliver evenly-distributed illumination with high efficiency and a power consumption as low as 0.1 Watts – about 100 times lower than that of light-emitting diodes.
LED lights are renowned for their high efficiencies, but the fact that only a fraction of the photons they produce actually ends up illuminating the surrounding environment suggests that there is still much room for improvement. One alternative approach explored by Prof. Norihiro Shimoi and colleagues was to build a structure based on carbon nanotubes, one-atom thick layers of carbon folded into a cylindrical shape.
This state-of-the-art device has a diode-like structure like LEDs but, curiously enough, the way in which it produces light is actually closer to the cathode ray tubes used in the TVs and computer monitors of the past century. Under the influence of a strong electric field, each carbon nanotube acts as a tiny cathode ray tube that releases a high-speed beam of electrons from its tip. These electrons then hit a phospor screen kept under vacuum and, in the process, release a small amount of energy that causes the phospor to glow.
Building the device was a fairly simple, low-cost process. The researchers started by mixing highly crystalline single-walled carbon nanotubes with an organic solvent and a surfactant compound. They then painted the mixture on the cathode and scratched the surface with sandpaper, which allows the electrons to more easily separate from the tip of the nanotubes.
The Latest on: Low-power light source
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Low-power light source” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Low-power light source
- Indian shares hit over 1-wk low; Adani group stocks fallon January 24, 2023 at 8:55 pm
Indian stocks hit an over-one-week low in volatile trading on Wednesday, ahead of the monthly expiry of derivatives and the federal budget.
- Low-power Wide Area Networks Market Size 2023 With Economical Benchmarking, Old Statistics & Forecasts, Company Returns Shareson January 23, 2023 at 5:13 pm
In 2023] The Global Low-power Wide Area Networks Market Size (116 Report Pages) is estimated to be worth USD million ...
- A sun-like power source on Earthon January 22, 2023 at 7:12 am
Scientists in the United States recently achieved a breakthrough in nuclear fusion, which may enable a new source of clean energy. But there is a long road ahead before laser fusion reactors can feed ...
- Could Fusion Overcome Public Opposition to Nuclear Power?on January 20, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Recent progress might lead to a nuclear energy source that produces no high-level radioactive waste and presents fewer proliferation concerns.
- FDA draft guidance covers low-level light therapy deviceson January 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has published a draft guidance for low-level light therapy (LLLT) devices, or photobiomodulation (PBM) devices, which are typically used for aesthetic or ...
- How low-light solar cells can decarbonize your homeon January 12, 2023 at 7:56 am
Today’s low-light solar cells – including those being developed by my company, Ambient Photonics – can harvest energy from indirect and artificial light to create an endless power source for ...
- Next-generation wireless technology may leverage the human body for energyon January 3, 2023 at 4:00 pm
One of the most promising breakthroughs in 6G telecommunications is the possibility of Visible Light Communication ... that require little power to work owing to their low sampling frequency ...
- More Than Just a Power Sourceon December 27, 2022 at 8:32 am
This is unsustainable in light of the global clean ... hydrogen production at several nuclear power plants around the US. One of the utility companies involved in the project, Exelon, the largest ...
- JAK: ADI Low-Power MCU Accelerates The Implementation Of Internet Of Things Applicationson December 24, 2022 at 7:47 am
ADI low-power MCU ... while keeping the power consumption of the overall solution very low. To avoid high power consumption due to the high frequency of the clock source, the MCU chip integrates ...
- IIT Mandi Researchers Generate Electrical Energy From Household LED Light Sourceson November 30, 2022 at 2:36 am
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Mandi researchers have developed a new photovoltaic material that can generate power when irradiated with light produced in household light sources like ...
via Bing News