Major leaks from oil and gas pipelines have led to home evacuations, explosions, millions of dollars in lawsuit payouts and valuable natural resources escaping into the air, ground and water.
But in a report in ACS’ journal Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, scientists say they have developed a new software-based method that finds leaks even when they’re small, which could help prevent serious incidents — and save money for customers and industry.
Gary Valtinson and Miguel Bagajewicz note that using pipelines to move oil, gas and even water from one place to another is highly effective, for the most part. But serious, costly problems arise when pipes break. Existing methods for detecting leaks are limited. Hardware-based approaches using special instrumentation are expensive and complicated, and software-based systems don’t model pressure drops in pipelines correctly. This leads to a lot of errors, particularly for gas pipelines. Valitonson and Bagajewicz set out to fix this flaw.
The researchers developed a method that compares pressure and flow rate measurements from a pipeline with mathematical models that can accurately predict what the pressure and flow rate should be. Their technique successfully detected small leaks and reduced errors from 21 percent to 3 percent when compared to existing software. The researchers estimated that their method would have saved millions of dollars more than other leak-detection methods.
The Latest on: Pipeline leaks
via Google News
The Latest on: Pipeline leaks
- DuPont, ex-worker indicted for plant gas leak that killed 4on January 20, 2021 at 10:18 pm
Federal prosecutors have announced that a chemical company and a former employee have been indicted for their roles in a 2014 poisonous gas leak that killed four workers at a Houston-area plant.
- Biden revokes cross-border permit for Keystone XL Pipeline.on January 20, 2021 at 9:35 pm
The Keystone XL Pipeline has been a contentious project between republicans and democrats for years. President Biden’s move to revoke the Keystone XL Pipeline’s permit has some hopeful of a greener ...
- Biden’s Keystone Pipeline Killon January 20, 2021 at 2:15 pm
On his first day he insults Canada and ends thousands of jobs.
- Watchdog: Fossil fuel firms need to curb climate gas leaks | Raleigh News & Observeron January 20, 2021 at 1:51 am
The International Energy Agency says oil and gas companies aren’t doing enough to reduce the release of methane, a potent source of planet-heating emissions.
- Glamping development's gas pipeline a major problemon January 19, 2021 at 11:00 pm
The Chronicle has been reporting on the proposed Riverbend Glamping Resort on the Gallatin River, but mentioning the natural gas pipeline to be placed under the river as a mere ...
- Oil & Gas Pipeline Leak Detection Equipment Market 2019 – Industry Size, Share, Dynamics, Status, Outlook and Opportunities: 2026on January 19, 2021 at 10:52 pm
The rising awareness about green energy sources across the world is transforming the energy and power industry. The ...
- Watchdog: Fossil fuel firms need to curb climate gas leakson January 19, 2021 at 9:01 pm
The International Energy Agency says oil and gas companies aren't doing enough to reduce the release of methane, a potent source of planet-heating emissions, that is seeping out of pipelines and ...
- NTU Singapore start-up commercialises AI algorithm that can detect leaks instantly in gas pipeline networkson January 19, 2021 at 8:30 pm
A sensor network powered by an artificial intelligence (AI) algorithm developed by scientists from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore ...
- Watchdog: Fossil Fuel Firms Need to Curb Gas Leakson January 19, 2021 at 6:29 am
The report suggests that the global oil and gas industry emitted as much methane as the 27-nation EU last year.
- Leak Detection Market 2020 Driving Factors, Industry Growth, Key Vendors and Forecasts to 2027on January 19, 2021 at 4:50 am
Selbyville, Delaware, Global Leak Detection Market Report added at Market Study Report LLC offers industry size, share, growth, trends and forecast analysis up to 2027. Leak Detection Market Report ...
via Bing News