Early cancer detection can save millions of lives but current diagnostic methods remain costly and invasive. However, a new startup is developing a device which could detect dozens of cancers with a single blood test.
The Miriam test platform was recently presented at the TEDGlobal 2014 conference in Rio de Janeiro by Jorge Soto, a cancer technologist. He promised that it would make cancer detection at the molecular level “easier, cheaper, smarter and more accessible than ever before.”
Named “one of the most thrilling demos in TED history” by conference curator Chris Anderson, Miriam is a compact, $500, 3D-printed device that, nevertheless, can detect several kinds of cancer – pancreatic, lung, breast and hepatic – and it is only the beginning, according to its makers, who have decided to make its design open-source.
The device is based on state-of-the-art molecular biology, and the latest scientific discoveries in the field of microRNA – a class of tiny biological regulator molecules, discovered in 1993. They can be used as a “perfect, highly sensitive biomarker,” as their levels vary in the blood, forming specific patterns characterizing different types of cancer, even at the early stages.
“You don’t need to wait until you have any symptoms, you don’t need to know which disease you are looking for, you only need 1 milliliter of blood and a relatively simple array of tools,” the company’s blog stated.
The Latest on: Cancer detection
[google_news title=”” keyword=”cancer detection” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Cancer detection
- When Celebrities Announce a Cancer Diagnosison January 8, 2023 at 10:45 am
It can sometimes feel like cancer is all around us. This week, Congressman Jamie Raskin and Senator Bob Casey shared their cancer diagnoses and plans for treatment. Last month, Katie Couric revealed ...
- Damar Hamlin Scare, Casey Cancer Diagnosis & More: Weekly Wrapon January 8, 2023 at 9:49 am
A somber beginning to the week is assured in Western Pennsylvania as funeral services are held for slain Brackenridge police Chief Justin McIntire. The article Damar Hamlin Scare, Casey Cancer ...
- Colon Cancer Claimed Kirstie Alley and Pelé. Here are the Key Symptoms.on January 8, 2023 at 4:30 am
Recognizing the signs and paying attention to the warning signals can be a matter of life or death. Here's what to know about colon cancer.
- How Alabama football coach Nick Saban responded to Eli Gold health update, cancer diagnosison January 7, 2023 at 11:48 am
Alabama football coach Nick Saban sends prayers for Eli Gold after the Alabama football broadcaster announced he has been diagnosed with cancer.
- Nick Saban issues statement after Eli Gold’s cancer diagnosison January 7, 2023 at 11:31 am
Eli Gold has been an important part of the game day traditions at the University of Alabama for over 30 years,” Saban said. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to Eli and his family as he begins cancer ...
- 'Robotic surgery helped save my life after cancer diagnosis'on January 7, 2023 at 9:06 am
A Scottish woman has credited an innovative robotic surgery procedure for helping to save her life. Deborah Speirs from Tollcross in Glasgow was told she had stage three bowel cancer in March 2021.
- Alabama football radio announcer Eli Gold reveals cancer diagnosison January 6, 2023 at 1:32 pm
Eli Gold, the well-known and respected play-by-play radio announcer for Alabama football games, has announced he has cancer. Gold missed the entire 2022 college ...
- A zombie insect 'cyborg' could provide a breakthrough in oral cancer detectionon January 6, 2023 at 3:51 am
"There is no way I would have ever even thought of − in my wildest dreams − to use this as a way to detect cancer," a Henry Ford cancer doctor said ...
- Piedmont to open breast clinic for early cancer detectionon January 5, 2023 at 2:29 pm
Piedmont Atlanta Hospital will open a high-risk breast clinic on Thursday, January 12. The Helen S. Carlos High Risk Breast Clinic will house the hospital’s newly-developed breast program. The ...
- Sen. Bob Casey reveals prostate cancer diagnosis, expects to make full recoveryon January 5, 2023 at 7:18 am
Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey announced Thursday morning that last month he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. In a statement, Senator Casey revealed the diagnosis. "Last month, I was diagnosed with ...
via Bing News