Venice’s response to the plague an “example of resilience management,” say experts
The way in which the Italian city of Venice dealt with the outbreak of the plague in the fourteenth century holds lessons on how to even mitigate the consequences of today’s emerging threats, like climate change, terrorism and highly infectious or drug-resistant diseases. So says Dr. Igor Linkov of the US Army Engineer Research and Development Center, and a visiting professor of the Ca Foscari University in Italy. Linkov led an article on resilience management appearing in Springer’s journal Environment Systems and Decisions.
Venice was the hub of many trade routes into central Europe, and in 1347 became the epicenter of a plague epidemic. While Venetians initially attempted to mitigate what they believed to be the threat—God, vampires, etc.—by enacting traditional risk management like prayer and rituals, they eventually began to utilize what we would now call resilience management.
Instead of trying to target a poorly understood risk, state authorities focused on managing physical movement, social interactions, and data collection for the city as a system.
The Latest on: Resilience management
via Google News
The Latest on: Resilience management
- ADB's New initiative to Help Asian Cities Meet Climate Resilience Goalson August 2, 2022 at 1:46 am
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has launched a new initiative to provide direct advisory support to help cities across Asia and the Pacific.
- Five key pain management approaches that can help children's recovery and resilience after injuryon August 1, 2022 at 7:25 pm
In this study, researchers investigated 'everyday' pains in young children (aged 2-7 years-old), asking experts from child health, psychology, development, resilience ... one of the greatest pain ...
- Vice president talks climate resilience in Miamion August 1, 2022 at 1:10 pm
The vice president also attended a briefing today at the National Hurricane Center about extreme weather events. She warned about the frequency of heat waves, flooding and other disasters and said ...
- Far from Putin’s claims of resilience, Russian economy is being hammered by sanctions and exodus of international companies, Yale report findson August 1, 2022 at 11:08 am
Media reports trumpeting the resilience of the Russian economy in the face of the international response to its invasion of neighboring Ukraine are based ...
- Episode 4 | Building Disaster Resilienceon August 1, 2022 at 7:42 am
The spring of 2019, following heavy rains across the Midwest, something that will always stick with me is a couple of small towns in Nebraska. I wouldn't even have known in some cases that these were ...
- Travel Risk Management Tips to Get Business Travelers Startedon August 1, 2022 at 6:00 am
Risk management is an important part of the travel planning process. Here are our best travel risk management tips to get you started.
- Everbridge’s Best in Resilience Study Measures Organizational Risk Readiness as More Global Brands Achieve Prestigious Certificationon August 1, 2022 at 5:34 am
Everbridge, Inc. (NASDAQ: EVBG), the global leader in critical event management (CEM) and national public warning software solutions, today announced the findings of its first annual Best in ...
- Effective Leadership And Crisis Management Strategies For Cyber Resilienceon August 1, 2022 at 2:09 am
Rustom Hiramaneck - Cyber resilience is the ability to prevent, detect, respond to, recover from, and forensically assess cyberthreats. Cyber resilience helps save the business, its assets and ...
- Innovating Grid Resilience from the Outside Inon July 31, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Operational innovation—creating new ways of performing core business functions like grid asset management—can provide reliable, relatively low-cost transformation for electric utilities. One area for ...
- Riskonnect Announces Platform Enhancements to Help Customers Build Business Continuity and Operational Resilienceon July 27, 2022 at 6:02 am
Riskonnect, the leader in integrated risk management (IRM) solutions, today announced enhancements to its platform. The new features help organizations build business continuity and operational ...
via Bing News