The work took nearly four years to complete and it opens a fundamentally new direction in photonics – with far-reaching potential consequences for the control of photons in optical fiber channels.
Researchers at the University of California, San Diego have built the first 500 Gigahertz (GHz) photon switch. “Our switch is more than an order of magnitude faster than any previously published result to date,” said UC San Diego electrical and computer engineering professor Stojan Radic. “That exceeds the speed of the fastest lightwave information channels in use today.”
According to an article in the journal Science*, switching photons at such high speeds was made possible by advances in the control of a strong optical beam using only a few photons, and by the scientists’ ability to engineer the optical fiber itself with accuracy down to the molecular level.
In the research paper, Radic and his colleagues in the UC San Diego Jacobs School of Engineering argue that ultrafast optical control is critical to applications that must manipulate light beyond the conventional electronic limits. In addition to very fast beam control and fast switching, the latest work opens the way to a new class of sensitive receivers (also capable of operating at very high rates), faster photon sensors, and optical processing devices.
The Latest on: Photonics
via Google News
The Latest on: Photonics
- Spirent Continues to Trailblaze Path to 800G Ethernet Ecosystem with Intel Silicon Photonics Projecton June 17, 2021 at 1:32 am
Spirent Communications plc (LSE:SPT) the leading provider of test, assurance, and analytics solutions for next-generation devices and networks, today announced that Intel Silicon Photonics has ...
- MIT-born photonics startup Lightmatter to open Bay Area officeon June 16, 2021 at 11:36 am
Lightmatter, a Boston-based developer of a new kind of chip based on photons, is heading west. Nick Harris, CEO of Lightmatter, said on Wednesday that the MIT spinoff its slated to open a new office ...
- Photonics Market Size 2021 Global Industry Demand, Key Findings, Regional Analysis, Key Players Profiles, Future Prospects and Forecasts to 2023on June 15, 2021 at 10:35 pm
Global Photonics Market Report organizes across the globe into distinct portion based on industry standards. It ...
- Avo Photonics Wins Again!on June 15, 2021 at 6:14 am
For the third time in six years, Avo Photonics was recognized by its parent organization (Halma, plc) as its "Company of the Year". The first two times (2016 & 2020), these awards covered the entire ...
- Silicon Photonics Market Report - Global Industry Data, Analysis and Growth Forecasts by Type, Application and Region, 2021-2028on June 14, 2021 at 5:03 pm
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Silicon Photonics Market Report - Global Industry Data, Analysis and Growth Forecasts by Type, Application and Region, 2021-2028 report by OG Analysis. Silicon ...
- Sense Photonics Announces Groundbreaking MultiRange™ Capability on Newest Lidar Systemon June 14, 2021 at 9:00 am
Sense Photonics, the world's leading automotive flash Lidar solutions provider, announced today they have developed a system which delivers high resolution long-range capability and a mid-range ...
- EPIC and IEEE Photonics Society form partnershipon June 10, 2021 at 8:22 am
The two photonics associations have entered into a multiyear agreement to promote joint activities, cross-disciplinary technical dissemination, and cooperative programs between membership bodies.
- IPG Photonics Corporation's (NASDAQ:IPGP) Stock is Soaring But Financials Seem Inconsistent: Will The Uptrend Continue?on June 9, 2021 at 12:19 am
IPG Photonics (NASDAQ:IPGP) has had a great run on the share market with its stock up by a significant 9.6% over the last month. However, we wonder if the company's inconsistent financials would have ...
- 2021 Innovators Awards now taking entries, will honor cutting-edge photonics solutionson June 8, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Innovators Awards will honor developers of the most influential enabling technologies for photonics applications.
- Zacks Industry Outlook Highlights: IPG Photonics, Cutera and CyberOpticson June 8, 2021 at 3:38 am
Today, Zacks Equity Research discusses Laser Systems including IPG Photonics Corporation IPGP, Cutera, Inc. CUTR and CyberO ...
via Bing News