The work took nearly four years to complete and it opens a fundamentally new direction in photonics – with far-reaching potential consequences for the control of photons in optical fiber channels.
Researchers at the University of California, San Diego have built the first 500 Gigahertz (GHz) photon switch. “Our switch is more than an order of magnitude faster than any previously published result to date,” said UC San Diego electrical and computer engineering professor Stojan Radic. “That exceeds the speed of the fastest lightwave information channels in use today.”
According to an article in the journal Science*, switching photons at such high speeds was made possible by advances in the control of a strong optical beam using only a few photons, and by the scientists’ ability to engineer the optical fiber itself with accuracy down to the molecular level.
In the research paper, Radic and his colleagues in the UC San Diego Jacobs School of Engineering argue that ultrafast optical control is critical to applications that must manipulate light beyond the conventional electronic limits. In addition to very fast beam control and fast switching, the latest work opens the way to a new class of sensitive receivers (also capable of operating at very high rates), faster photon sensors, and optical processing devices.
The Latest on: Photonics
via Google News
The Latest on: Photonics
- Introducing Photonicson July 31, 2021 at 6:50 am
The essential guide for anyone wanting a quick introduction to the fundamental ideas underlying photonics. The author uses his forty years of experience in photonics research and teaching to provide ...
- IPG Photonics (IPGP) to Post Q2 Earnings: What to Expect?on July 30, 2021 at 10:07 am
Q2 results are likely to reflect momentum in new end-markets and fiber lasers for urological and dental procedures.
- Photonics Market Growing Demand Across the Globe: Report Contains Company profiles, Product and Application Analysis 2021 to 2027on July 29, 2021 at 11:48 pm
Jul (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry" Photonics Market report 2021 to 2027 ...
- SPIE Optics + Photonics returns to San Diego – next weekon July 29, 2021 at 8:54 am
The latest optics and photonics advancements will be highlighted over the coming week at the SPIE Optics + Photonics conference and exhibition in San Diego, California, which runs Sunday 1st – ...
- Opening Remarks and Keynote: Top 7 Trends in Photonics 2021 - From Industrial Manufacturing to Quantum Computing (Day 2)on July 29, 2021 at 8:44 am
A continuation of the keynote from day 1 of PhotonicsNEXT. Learn about critical trends in the photonics industry, including advances in the medical sector, laser welding, quantum computing, and more.
- Photonics Market Size 2021 with CAGR of 6.4%, Top Growth Companies: Coherent, Inc, IPG Photonics, and, End-User, SWOT Analysis in Industry 2026on July 29, 2021 at 5:23 am
In 2021, “ Photonics Market “ Size, Status and Market Insights, Forecast to 2027 |( Number of Pages:94) Photonics ...
- Opening Remarks and Keynote: Top 7 Trends in Photonics 2021 - From Industrial Manufacturing to Quantum Computingon July 28, 2021 at 2:15 pm
The opening keynote from the PhotonicsNEXT Summer Summit, which took place June 23-24, 2021. Over the last year, Jose Pozo has seen many innovations in the photonics industry. Innovations in areas ...
- Global Silicon Photonics Products Market 2021 Industry Outlook, Present Scenario of Manufacturers, Analysis and Research Study by 2026on July 26, 2021 at 10:13 pm
Market Research Place has revealed a novel report namely Global Silicon Photonics Products Market Research Report 2021-2027 ...
- Global Silicon Photonics Market Size, In-Depth Assessment, CAGR, Demand, and Opportunity Analysis 2026 with Top Countries Dataon July 25, 2021 at 9:35 pm
Silicon Photonics Market. The Silicon Photonics Market Report considers the major factors accountable for driving the growth of the Silicon Photonics Industry, in addition to the ...
- The Global Photonics Market Calculated to Attain $921.66 Billion in Revenue by 2028on July 20, 2021 at 6:48 am
According to Triton s report the global photonics market which gained 459 92 billion in 2020 is likely to observe growth at 8 15 of CAGR by 2028 A recent study by Triton Market Research titled Global ...
via Bing News