“These results can also mitigate the effects of global warming and to enhance energy security.”
Thanks to biotechnology, researchers at UPM have increased the production of woody species. This result is of great interest to the energy market.
By modifying the gene expressions responsible for the branch growth during the first year of woody species, researchers of the Centre for Plant Biotechnology and Genomics (CBGP UPM-INIA), a joint centre of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) and the The National Institute for Agricultural Research and Experimentation (INIA), have found a way of increasing biomass production of a forest plantation without altering its growth, composition or the wood anatomy. These results have an important market value for the bioenergy sector, thus this study was protected by patent.
Lateral buds of most of the woody species in warm and cold areas do not sprout in the same season that they are born. These buds, called proleptics, remain latent and do not grow until the following spring. However, some lateral buds sprout during the same season such as poplar trees, other salicaceae species and many tropical species. This way, a syleptic branching can increase de amount of branches, leaf area and the tree growth in general, mainly during their first years of life.
On that basis, researchers at UPM have used a biotechnological procedure to modify the gene expression levels of RAV1 (Related to ABI3 and Viviparous 1) that increases the development of sylleptic branching of woody species. Thus, researchers have found a way of increasing biomass production of a poplar plantation. This process of genetic modification is potentially applicable to any woody species and using their adaptive features to a particular habitat.
The Latest on: Biomass production
via Google News
The Latest on: Biomass production
- Biomass Boiler Market Share 2021 Future Growth, Major Manufacturers, Growth Prospects, Dynamics, Industry Share and Forecast to 2026on November 29, 2021 at 1:10 am
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry” Global “ Biomass Boiler Market ” research report analyses global production by major manufacturers, growth rate in ...
- More incentives urged to exploit biomass power potential: Expertson November 25, 2021 at 9:11 pm
Vietnam should design incentives to attract investment in biomass power development so as to optimise the country's great potential in the field, experts said at an online conference on5.
- Asahi Kasei to produce S-SBR for eco-friendly tires using butadiene derived from plastic waste and biomasson November 25, 2021 at 4:36 am
Asahi Kasei, a diversified Japanese multinational company, concluded an agreement with Shell Eastern Petroleum (Pte) Ltd. regarding the supply of butadiene derived from plastic waste and biomass.
- Industrial Boilers Market Worth $19.3 Billion by 2025 : Natural Gas & Biomass Segment Is Estimated to Witness the Fastest Growthon November 24, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Chemical segment is estimated to account for the largest share of the industrial boilers market The chemical segment is estimated to lead the industrial boilers market in 2020, due to the rising ...
- REUTERS EVENTS Britain's Drax eyes 'negative emissions' U.S. biomass planton November 24, 2021 at 3:30 am
Britain's Drax is considering building a biomass plant in the United States whose power generation it says will absorb more emissions than it creates, its CEO told the Reuters Events Energy Transition ...
- Britain's Drax eyes 'emissions negative' U.S. biomass planton November 23, 2021 at 3:20 am
Green groups vocal at the COP26 climate talks in Glasgow this month have criticized the burning of wood biomass pellets, arguing it is not a carbon-neutral method of energy generation and that pellet ...
- Biomass Pyrolysis Oil Market Growth 2021: Global Industry Research Update, Emerging Technologies, Forthcoming Developments and Forecast to 2027on November 23, 2021 at 2:29 am
The global Biomass Pyrolysis Oil market was valued at USD million in 2020 and it is expected to reach USD million by the end of 2027, growing at a CAGR of % during 2021-2027. Newly published Biomass ...
- Feenstra passes proposal to utilise biomass for biofuel productionon November 18, 2021 at 2:37 am
A member of the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology (SST), has led an effort to bolster biofuels production in the US.
- Is Wood-Based Biomass Energy a Viable Alternative to Coal?on November 18, 2021 at 12:21 am
Does biomass offer a viable alternative to burning fossil fuels? This 3p writer and National Press Foundation fellow finds the results are at best mixed.
via Bing News