“These results can also mitigate the effects of global warming and to enhance energy security.”
Thanks to biotechnology, researchers at UPM have increased the production of woody species. This result is of great interest to the energy market.
By modifying the gene expressions responsible for the branch growth during the first year of woody species, researchers of the Centre for Plant Biotechnology and Genomics (CBGP UPM-INIA), a joint centre of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) and the The National Institute for Agricultural Research and Experimentation (INIA), have found a way of increasing biomass production of a forest plantation without altering its growth, composition or the wood anatomy. These results have an important market value for the bioenergy sector, thus this study was protected by patent.
Lateral buds of most of the woody species in warm and cold areas do not sprout in the same season that they are born. These buds, called proleptics, remain latent and do not grow until the following spring. However, some lateral buds sprout during the same season such as poplar trees, other salicaceae species and many tropical species. This way, a syleptic branching can increase de amount of branches, leaf area and the tree growth in general, mainly during their first years of life.
On that basis, researchers at UPM have used a biotechnological procedure to modify the gene expression levels of RAV1 (Related to ABI3 and Viviparous 1) that increases the development of sylleptic branching of woody species. Thus, researchers have found a way of increasing biomass production of a poplar plantation. This process of genetic modification is potentially applicable to any woody species and using their adaptive features to a particular habitat.
The Latest on: Biomass production
via Google News
The Latest on: Biomass production
- Boulder receives grant for biochar workon June 10, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Boulder obtained a $100,000 grant from the Carbon Neutral Cities Alliance Game Changer Fund to support its bioenergy-biochar work. It also was selected as one of 10 global cities to submit a biochar ...
- Oberon Fuels starts commercial production of rDMEon June 10, 2021 at 3:02 pm
Oberon Fuels has begun production of the first-ever renewable dimethyl ether (rDME) at its facility in Brawley, California. According to Oberon, rDME’s properties allow it to cost-effectively store ...
- EIA: Densified biomass fuel sales reach 700,000 tons in Februaryon June 9, 2021 at 4:44 pm
The U.S. Energy Information Administration recently released data showing U.S. manufacturers produced approximately 620,000 of densified biomass fuel in February, with sales reaching 700,000 tons.
- SUEZ, Airex Energy join forces to industrialise biochar productionon June 7, 2021 at 8:58 am
SUEZ Group and Airex Energy have partnered to industrialise the recovery of biomass residues into biochar.
- How do Kent districts compare for green energy production?on June 4, 2021 at 10:01 pm
For the United Nations World Environment Day we take a look at how many renewable energy sources there are in Kent.
- Active Energy Group - First production of CoalSwitch™ at Ashlandon June 2, 2021 at 12:36 am
Alternative Energy. . Active Energy Group Plc ("Active Energy", "AEG", or the "Company") First production of CoalSwitch™ ...
- Active Energy boosted as production of its biomass fuel begins in Maineon June 2, 2021 at 12:30 am
Shares in renewables firm Active Energy Group PLC (LON:AEG) have sparked into life. The company said it had started production of its CoalSwitch product - a biomass fuel that can be mixed with or ...
- Biomass Pellets Market Size will grow at a CAGR of 7.5% During 2021-2026 with Top Countries Dataon May 28, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Global Biomass Pellets Market is valued at 7614.7 million USD in 2020 is expected to reach 12700 million USD by the end ...
- President Biden proposes tax credits for biofuel and hydrogen productionon May 28, 2021 at 1:27 pm
President Joe Biden has proposed instituting tax credits for the production of both hydrogen fuel and sustainable aviation fuel (SAF), a move mirroring broader support from industry and lawmakers for ...
- Global Biomass Solid Fuel Market is estimated to account for US$ 425.8 Bn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI)on May 28, 2021 at 6:20 am
Biomass solid fuel is a potential alternative to fossil fuels and can be used to generate energy. It is a renewable energy ...
via Bing News