A fevered search for the next great high-energy, rechargeable battery technology is on.
Scientists are now reporting they have overcome key obstacles toward making lithium-sulfur (Li-S) batteries, which have the potential to leave today’s lithium-ion technology in the dust. Their study appears in the ACS journal Nano Letters.
Xingcheng Xiao, Weidong Zhou, Mei Cai and their colleagues point out that the capabilities of lithium-ion batteries, which power many of our consumer electronics, as well as electric vehicles, have largely plateaued. Scientists have been pursuing a number of new battery technologies to topple today’s standard. One heavy focus has been on a key battery component that is currently made out of a metal oxide. Some researchers have been trying to replace the metal oxide with cheaper and lighter sulfur, to make Li-S batteries. In theory, this could allow batteries to pack five to eight times the energy of existing technology. One of the main problems with this approach, however, is that Li-S compounds escape from where they’re supposed to be, which causes the battery to lose charge quickly. The team set out to find a way to contain the errant compounds.
To solve this problem, the researchers made tiny, hollow shells out of carbon, which is conductive. They then coated them with a polymer to help confine the Li-S compounds inside. When tested, the structures kept up a high-energy storage capacity (630 mAh/g versus less than 200 mAh/g of lithium-ion batteries) over 600 cycles of fast charging and discharging. “These results provide promising insights and novel concepts for future sulfur-based batteries,” the researchers conclude.
The Latest on: Lithium-sulfur batteries
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Lithium-sulfur batteries” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium-sulfur batteries
- Lithium-Air Battery Market Size is Projected to Grow at CAGR of 12.1% by 2031: Reed Intelligenceon November 29, 2023 at 7:10 am
Lithium Metal Battery Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Type (Lithium Metal Battery, Lithium-Sulfur Battery, Lithium Air Battery) by Application (Transportation (EV), Aircraft (eVTOL)) ...
- EV makers can stop worrying so much about lithiumon November 29, 2023 at 6:54 am
Lithium’s price slump over the past year has been as dramatic as its climb — and it’s probably not finished yet.
- Rock Tech Lithium and Electra Battery sign MoU for North American marketon November 28, 2023 at 6:59 am
The companies will leverage their processing expertise to develop a comprehensive, fully sustainable closed-loop service offering for the recycling of lithium-ion battery manufacturing scrap.
- Batteries: the leading companies in Li-ion secondary battery revealedon November 27, 2023 at 5:42 am
‘Geographic reach’ refers to the number of countries each patent is registered in. It reflects the breadth of geographic application intended, ranging from ‘global’ to ‘local’.
- Toyota's 745-Mile Solid-State Battery Breakthrough, Explainedon November 26, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Toyota was touted as a tortoise in the EV race, but the announcement of the 745-mile SSB has changed its fortunes. Here's all you need to know.
- Batteries Newson November 23, 2023 at 4:01 pm
Revolutionizing Energy Storage: Metal Nanoclusters for Stable Lithium--Sulfur Batteries Oct. 12, 2023 — Lithium–sulfur batteries (LSBs) offer a higher energy storage potential. However ...
- Bifunctional Additive for Lithium–Sulfur Batteries Based on the Metal–Phthalocyanine Complexon November 21, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Key Laboratory for Biobased Materials and Energy of Ministry of Education, College of Materials and Energy, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642, China CAS Key Laboratory of Renewable ...
- Researchers discover common mineral could unlock ‘superior’ energy storage in EV batteries: ‘[It] has great potential’on November 20, 2023 at 1:00 pm
It can speed electron transfer and improve energy charge and discharge rates while maintaining the high energy density.
- Lithium Sulfur Battery Market Sets New Record, Projected at USD 5.6 Billion By 2030 at 30.1% CAGR: AMRon November 20, 2023 at 5:31 am
PORTLAND, OREGON, UNITED STATES, November 20, 2023 /EINPresswire.com/ -- Allied Market Research published a report on the Lithium Sulfur Battery Market by Type (Low ...
- Lithium-ion batteries are no longer the gold standard in battery tech, researchers sayon November 15, 2023 at 4:00 pm
The use of lithium metal as the anode for batteries is one of the smarter options with better energy density than other materials. However, the interface between the electrode and electrolyte has ...
via Bing News