The internet has become a critical means of communication during humanitarian crises and a crucial everyday tool for people around the world. Now, a Portuguese company wants to make sure everyone has access to it. Quarkson plans to use unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to transmit internet access “to every corner of the world.”
Quarkson’s SkyOrbiter program is similar to Google’s Project Loon, which also seeks to deliver internet access to remote places. Where Google plans to float internet-enabled balloons above the earth, however, Quarkson intends to use a fleet of high-range UAVs much like the Titan Aerospace Solara 50 to deliver connectivity from orbit.
The SkyOrbiter fleet comprises six different low-altitude models and three high-altitude models. The most basic SkyOrbiter is the LA25. It is designed for commercial and government use and is able to provide connectivity to areas where none is available. The LA25 has a wingspan of about 25 m (82 ft), operates at 3,500 m (11,500 ft) and has a range of over 42,000 km (26,000 mi) or up to two weeks.
Each of the subsequent low altitude SkyOrbiters has an increased wingspan and range right up to the LA75, which has a wingspan of 75 m (246 ft) and a range of over 150,000 km (93,000 mi) or up to seven weeks. Unlike the low-altitude models, the high altitude UAVs orbit at 22,000 m (72,000 ft) and can stay in orbit for years as opposed to weeks. The most advanced of the high-altitude models, the HA75, has a wingspan of around 75 m (246 ft) and a range of up to 5,000,000 km (3,000,000 mi) or five years.
The Latest on: UAV internet access
[google_news title=”” keyword=”UAV internet access” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: UAV internet access
- 3 Stocks to Watch From the Satellite and Communication Industryon September 27, 2023 at 6:48 am
Companies within the Zacks Satellite and Communication industry are well-poised to benefit from a vast proliferation and cheaper access to space technology in the long run. This trend is leading to a ...
- OSU Awarded $125K for Broadband, Agricultural Techon September 26, 2023 at 2:52 pm
With state funding from the Department of Development, Ohio State University will connect high-speed Internet to a site that will be used as a demonstration area and proving grounds for autonomous ...
- Ukrainian Military Targeted in Phishing Campaign Leveraging Drone Manualson September 25, 2023 at 6:05 am
Ukrainian military hit by a phishing campaign using drone manuals as bait to deliver a Go-based open-source post-exploitation toolkit called Merlin.
- How small drones changed modern warfareon September 22, 2023 at 3:07 pm
Small drones changed tactics and impacted the way wars are fought. From recon to destroying tanks, unmanned aerial systems are here to stay.
- Russian Propaganda Fooled Elon Musk, Just Like It Fooled Many Otherson September 21, 2023 at 2:00 am
Musk was purportedly motivated by fears that Ukraine's attack against Russian ships in Sevastopol might provoke a nuclear response from Moscow.
- British defense leaders to craft guardrails for buying droneson September 20, 2023 at 1:12 pm
A visitor stands in front of an Unmanned helicopter during the Defence ... It will help accelerate UK armed forces’ access to uncrewed systems and rapidly equipping them with innovative ...
- Employee of a company producing attack drones detained in Moscowon September 15, 2023 at 7:50 pm
An employee of a drone manufacturing company was detained in Moscow on Friday, 15 September on suspicion of leaking data on the Internet. Source: Russian state-owned news outlet RIA Novosti Details: ...
- DSEI 2023: UK company launches new tethered UAVon September 14, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Drone Evolution's Sentinel tethered UAV, displayed at DSEI 2023, is suited for forward operating bases or border security. (Janes/Olivia Savage) The UK-based Drone Evolution has debuted a new ...
- Alleged Whistleblower Claims UFOs Are Unmanned Drones Created on Earth By Nosy Alien Factoryon September 14, 2023 at 12:39 pm
A surprising amount of military secrets have been leaked onto boring internet forums. While a majority of users ... with numerous documented cases of people with access to secret documents getting mad ...
- 24C3 Build Your Own UAVon September 11, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Paparazzi is an open source hardware and software project for building autonomous unmanned aerial vehicles. The main hardware board has an ARM processor and GPS. It uses inertial and infrared ...
via Bing News