Australia’s rare and precious rainforests, like the iconic Daintree, could have an unexpected aerial ally in the battle against weeds – autonomous helicopters.
Two Project ResQu helicopters developed by CSIRO completed trial flights near Cairns, locating weeds like the dreaded ‘purple plague’, or Miconia calvescens, faster and more reliably than ever.
Developed by robotics researchers at CSIRO, in partnership with Biosecurity Queensland, the unmanned helicopters found weeds using sophisticated imaging technology. The helicopters are safer and a more convenient way of mapping weeds in remote and difficult terrain.
CSIRO Biosecurity Flagship Science Director, Dr Gary Fitt, said access to dense rainforests was difficult for people but all-too-easy for weeds which get carried in by animals or blown in from gardens or farms.
“Miconia is among the worst of a number of weeds that pose a significant threat to Australia’s precious rainforest remnants,” Dr Fitt said.
“Unless detected and eradicated early, they can cause irreversible damage to our native plant and animal populations.
“In the biosecurity space effective surveillance is critical – we need to be able to detect incursions quickly and accurately. Technologies like the autonomous helicopter or other autonomous platforms provide us with another tool in the fight against these biological invasions.”
The Latest on: Autonomous helicopters
via Google News
The Latest on: Autonomous helicopters
- Marines Say Unit Costs for CH-53K Heavy Lift Helicopter Droppingon July 5, 2021 at 6:17 am
The Marine Corps’ top aviation officer assured a key House panel this week that the unit costs of the CH-53K King Sea Stallion helicopter are dropping significantly. Major problems such as engine gas ...
- Mars helicopter Ingenuity is getting ready to try its fastest flight yeton July 3, 2021 at 7:25 am
The plucky little Mars helicopter Ingenuity is preparing to venture out far away from its rover companion on its most challenging flight to date.
- PSL at NMSU, partners conduct pioneering stratospheric launch at Spaceport Americaon July 3, 2021 at 1:00 am
NMSU partnered with Stratodynamics and UAVOS to perform a series of stratospheric flights with HiDRON, an autonomous aircraft, at Spaceport America.
- Flanker Fighter Appears Among Unmanned Aircraft At China's Secretive Test Baseon July 2, 2021 at 2:23 pm
The War Zone obtained a satellite image dated June 1 of China's secretive test base near Malan in Xinjiang province, which is known to be on the leading edge of the country's unmanned military ...
- New partnership focuses on applying AI/ML technologies to autonomous aircrafton July 2, 2021 at 7:00 am
BigBear.ai and UAV Factory will work together to develop artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) for use in autonomous UAV operations within the commercial and defence markets. Under ...
- Autonomous Aircraft Market Size, Trends | Industry Overview 2020 to 2025on July 2, 2021 at 4:15 am
Global Autonomous Aircraft Market Report added at Market Study Report LLC offers industry size, share, growth, trends and forecast analysis up to 2025. Autonomous Aircraft Market Report also covers ...
- Fouled Timestamps on Mars Helicopter Ingenuity Have Lessons for Autonomous Carson June 30, 2021 at 2:47 pm
The author considers what lessons do fouled timestamps on Mars Helicopter Ingenuity, a meticulously-devised AV, have for autonomous cars.
- American Robotics partners with Scientific Applications & Research Associates on the path to fully-autonomous drone operationson June 25, 2021 at 3:52 pm
American Robotics announce a partnership that fulfills the FAA requirements for the safe operation of drones beyond the line of sight.
- An autonomous drone for search and rescue in forests using optical sectioning algorithmon June 25, 2021 at 5:24 am
A team of researchers working at Johannes Kepler University has developed an autonomous drone with a new type of technology to improve search-and-rescue efforts. In their paper published in the ...
- Navy may consider Expeditionary Fast Transport (EPF) surface vessel as an autonomous missile and UAV carrieron June 24, 2021 at 11:36 pm
Integrating missiles and unmanned aircraft onto an autonomous EPF could make it a powerful alternative to many of the Navy's pricier crewed warships.
via Bing News