RMIT University researchers have brought ultra-fast, nano-scale data storage within striking reach, using technology that mimics the human brain.
The researchers have built a novel nano-structure that offers a new platform for the development of highly stable and reliable nanoscale memory devices.
The pioneering work will feature on a forthcoming cover of prestigious materials science journal Advanced Functional Materials (11 November).
Project leader Dr Sharath Sriram, co-leader of the RMIT Functional Materials and Microsystems Research Group, said the nanometer-thin stacked structure was created using thin film, a functional oxide material more than 10,000 times thinner than a human hair.
“The thin film is specifically designed to have defects in its chemistry to demonstrate a ‘memristive’ effect – where the memory element’s behaviour is dependent on its past experiences,” Dr Sriram said.
“With flash memory rapidly approaching fundamental scaling limits, we need novel materials and architectures for creating the next generation of non-volatile memory.
“The structure we developed could be used for a range of electronic applications – from ultrafast memory devices that can be shrunk down to a few nanometers, to computer logic architectures that replicate the versatility and response time of a biological neural network.
“While more investigation needs to be done, our work advances the search for next generation memory technology can replicate the complex functions of human neural system – bringing us one step closer to the bionic brain.”
The Latest on: Nano-scale data storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Nano-scale data storage
- Nano One Provides Quarterly Progress Update and Reports Q2 2022 Resultson August 5, 2022 at 12:27 pm
VANCOUVER, BC / ACCESSWIRE / August 5, 2022 / (TSX:NANO) (OTC PINK:NNOMF) (Frankfurt:LBMB). Nano One® Materials Corp. ("Nano One" or the "Company") is a clean technology company with patented ...
- Nano One Provides Quarterly Progress Update and Reports Q2 2022 Resultson August 5, 2022 at 7:16 am
The proceeds will be directed towards technology and supply chain development, commercialization, Nano One’s acquisition of the Candiac facility in Québec, its conversion to One-Pot LFP and industrial ...
- Nano One Provides Quarterly Progress Update and Reports Q2 2022 Resultson August 5, 2022 at 6:51 am
Nano One's acquisition of the Candiac facility in Québec, its conversion to One-Pot LFP and industrial scale piloting of other Nano One CAM technologies, and for working capital purposes.
- Improved synthesis method lights up novel semiconductoron August 2, 2022 at 2:23 am
Researchers at Penn State and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have come up with an improved method for making a new type of semiconductor that is a few atoms thin and interacts with ...
- Ledger Nano S Review: An Inexpensive Hardware Wallet for Secure Offline Storageon July 31, 2022 at 5:01 pm
Released in 2016, the Ledger Nano S is a highly secure ... they're a popular choice as a long-term storage option. The Ledger website suffered a data breach in July 2020 due to a cyberattack.
- A 'nano-robot' built entirely from DNA to explore cell processeson July 28, 2022 at 6:56 am
Constructing a tiny robot from DNA and using it to study cell processes invisible to the naked eye... You would be forgiven for thinking it is science fiction, but it is in fact the subject of serious ...
- Innovative “Nano-Robot” Built Entirely From DNA To Explore Microscopic Biological Processeson July 28, 2022 at 2:00 am
Constructing a tiny robot out of DNA and using it to study cell processes invisible to the naked eye... Although it certainly sounds like science fiction, it is in fact the subject of serious research ...
- A 'nano-robot' built entirely from DNA to explore cell processeson July 27, 2022 at 5:00 pm
This highly innovative "nano-robot" should enable closer study ... which makes their use very time-consuming if we want to collect a lot of data. DNA origami structures In order to propose an ...
- Light-Based Nano Antennas Developed For IoT Data Transferon July 17, 2022 at 4:59 pm
Researchers see their work as a significant breakthrough for providing light-based data transfer in a nano-sized antenna well-suited to the smaller IoT devices and sensors currently being developed.
- Global Nano Copper Oxide Market Surge Towards Solid Growth By 2028on July 12, 2022 at 2:42 pm
This characterized data is anticipated to help the industry stakeholders in the decision-making process. Topmost Key Players covered in this Nano Copper Oxide Market Research Report In this ...
via Bing News