NEW GAS and water technologies could add decades to the life span of oil reserves in the North Sea, according to researchers.
A team at Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt University say they have made a breakthrough in developing clean and cheap methods to maximise extraction from existing fields.
The university’s Centre for Enhanced Oil Recovery has been working on a technique known as low-salinity water injection and researching which fields would benefit most from it.
The team has also been developing gas injection technologies for use in reservoirs that are already flooded with water.
Professor Mehran Sohrabi, the centre’s director, believes new technologies could be a game changer for the industry and has called for more investment to reverse the decline in North Sea production.
He said: “At least half of the original oil still remains in the North Sea reservoirs but there are great challenges in extracting it using enhanced oil recovery (EOR) techniques.
“These include limited platform space and large well spacing, making extraction too expensive to pursue.
“Following years of research at the university, we now believe we can overcome these challenges.”
The Latest on: Oil reserves
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Oil reserves” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Oil reserves
- Rising oil prices could cause the Federal Reserve to hike rates in the summer: Larry McDonaldon February 29, 2024 at 7:02 am
The Bear Traps Report founder Larry McDonald reacts to January’s PCE report and its impact on the Federal Reserve’s highly monitored rate decision.
- Effect of fluctuating crude oil prices on human developmenton February 29, 2024 at 6:11 am
Ghana’s economic landscape has changed dramatically since the early 2010s, when oil reserves were discovered off its coast. However, the journey towards harnessing this newfound economic resource has ...
- NuVista Energy Ltd. Announces Record Year End 2023 Reserves, Financial and Operating Resultson February 29, 2024 at 4:27 am
During the quarter and year ended December 31, 2023, NuVista: ...
- Oil falls on US demand worries, interest rate fearson February 28, 2024 at 11:36 pm
Oil prices fell on Thursday after a larger-than-expected build in U.S. crude stockpiles stoked worries about slow demand, while signs that U.S. interest rates could remain elevated added to pressure.
- Imperial Oil Ltd's Dividend Analysison February 28, 2024 at 10:15 pm
The company estimates that it holds 5.2 billion boe of proved and probable crude oil and natural gas reserves. Imperial remains the largest refiner of petroleum products in Canada, operating three ...
- Offshore Oil Discoveries Thriveon February 28, 2024 at 5:01 pm
So far, Shell has tapped some 500 million barrels in recoverable oil reserves in Namibia’s Orange Basin, per the latest government calculations. But Shell is not the only explorer in the Orange Basin.
- U.S. oil futures settle lower as Fed takes stock before cutting rateson February 28, 2024 at 1:17 pm
U.S. crude oil futures settled lower on Wednesday after the Federal Reserve held firm on its decision to hold off cutting interest rates in the near future, while growing U.S. crude stockpiles added ...
- Oil slips as no clear end in sight for higher Fed interest rateson February 28, 2024 at 11:14 am
Oil prices retreated slightly on Wednesday after the Federal Reserve maintained its position on holding back on U.S. interest rate cuts in the near-future, while growing U.S. crude stockpiles added ...
- War wasn’t enough to budge oil prices. Here’s what could spark a big move.on February 27, 2024 at 7:37 am
Oil has seen a lot of ups and downs in the last two years, but following the outbreak of wars between Russia and Ukraine in 2022, and Israel and Hamas last year, prices have also stuck to a tight ...
- AFRICA OIL ANNOUNCES ITS YEAR-END 2023 STATEMENT OF RESERVESon February 26, 2024 at 3:31 pm
Africa Oil Corp. ("Africa Oil", "AOC" or the "Company") announces the posting of its 2023 statement of reserves on SEDAR ( as part of its Annual Information Form. This disclosure is based on an ...
via Bing News