Scientists have taken a major step forward in the production of hydrogen from water which could lead to a new era of cheap, clean and renewable energy.
Chemists from the University of Glasgow report in a new paper in Science today on a new form of hydrogen production which is 30 times faster than the current state-of-the-art method. The process also solves common problems associated with generating electricity from renewable sources such as solar, wind or wave energy.
Hydrogen is easily produced from water by electrolysis, a process which uses electricity to break the bonds between water’s constituent elements, hydrogen and oxygen, and releases them as gas. Hydrogen gas can be burned to produce power with no negative impact on the environment, unlike power produced by burning fossil fuels.
One of the problems of generating electricity via renewable power is that the output either needs to be used immediately or stored. Using renewable power to produce hydrogen allows the capture of electricity in an environmentally-friendly state which is easily stored and distributed.
Currently, industrial production of hydrogen relies overwhelmingly on fossil fuels to power the electrolysis process. The most advanced method of generating hydrogen using renewable power uses a method known as proton exchange membrane electrolysers (PEMEs). To reach optimum efficiency, PEMEs require precious metal catalysts to be held in high-pressure containers and subjected to high densities of electric current, which can be difficult to reliably achieve from fluctuating renewable sources.
The new method allows larger-than-ever quantities of hydrogen to be produced at atmospheric pressure using lower power loads, typical of those generated by renewable power sources. It also solves intrinsic safety issues which have so far limited the use of intermittent renewable energy for hydrogen production.
The Latest on: Hydrogen production
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen production
- S. Korea-led int'l association on hydrogen industry kicks offon May 24, 2022 at 6:30 pm
South Korea, the United States and 16 other countries on Wednesday launched an association meant to boost cooperation in the development of the hydrogen industry, Seoul's industry ministry said. The ...
- New liquid hydrogen plant opens in Apex, will power fuel-cell carson May 24, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Plant engineer Hannah Nelson, right, talks about the liquid hydrogen storage sphere alongside Matthieu Giard, who oversees hydrogen activities at Air Liquide, left, and Mike Graff ...
- New liquid hydrogen production facility opens in North Las Vegason May 24, 2022 at 3:26 pm
A new liquid hydrogen production and logistics facility has officially opened its doors in North Las Vegas. Air Liquide describes the facility as its largest in the world and would make Nevada a ...
- HYDROGENE DE FRANCE: HDF energy inks MoU with PESTECH to collaborate on green hydrogen production from hydro plants in Cambodia and Malaysiaon May 24, 2022 at 11:44 am
Bordeaux, Kuala Lumpour, 24 May 2022 - Hydrogène de France ("HDF Energy" or the "Company") - Euronext Paris: HDF - has signed a memorandum of understanding ("MOU") with PESTECH International Berhad ...
- Emerson Provides Advanced Automation Tech for Toyota Australia’s Hydrogen Production Planton May 24, 2022 at 8:54 am
Global software and technology leader Emerson and Toyota Australia have collaborated to transform part of Toyota Australia’s operations into a commercial-grade hydrogen production, storage and ...
- Modular AWE hydrogen production boosts Frontier to Best-in-Showon May 24, 2022 at 6:46 am
Frontier says its modular alkaline water electrolysis is the preferred tech to produce green hydrogen at its Bristol Springs Solar Project.
- Air Liquide Inaugurates in the U.S. Its Largest Liquid Hydrogen Production Facility in the Worldon May 24, 2022 at 6:34 am
Air Liquide officially opened its largest liquid hydrogen production and logistics infrastructure facility in North Las Vegas, Nevada. The facility aims to supply the growing needs for hydrogen ...
- Emerson Provides Advanced Automation Technology for Toyota Australia’s Hydrogen Production and Refueling Planton May 24, 2022 at 6:00 am
Global software and technology leader Emerson (NYSE: EMR) and Toyota Australia have collaborated to transform part of Toyota Australia’s operations into a commercial-grade hydrogen production, storage ...
- Hydrogen production method opens up clean energy possibilitieson May 23, 2022 at 9:30 am
A new energy-efficient way to produce hydrogen gas from ethanol and water has the potential to make clean hydrogen fuel a more viable alternative for gasoline to power cars.
- Morocco to ramp up green hydrogen productionon May 23, 2022 at 8:08 am
Morocco is considered a pioneer in the field of renewable energy both on the African continent and in the Middle East region. Therefore, it comes as no surprise to see the kingdom pursuing its ...
via Bing News