Today, the journal Science published the latest development in Michael Grätzel’s laboratory at EPFL: producing hydrogen fuel from sunlight and water.
By combining a pair of solar cells made with a mineral called perovskite and low cost electrodes, scientists have obtained a 12.3 percent conversion efficiency from solar energy to hydrogen, a record using earth-abundant materials as opposed to rare metals.
The race is on to optimize solar energy’s performance. More efficient silicon photovoltaic panels, dye-sensitized solar cells, concentrated cells and thermodynamic solar plants all pursue the same goal: to produce a maximum amount of electrons from sunlight. Those electrons can then be converted into electricity to turn on lights and power your refrigerator.
At the Laboratory of Photonics and Interfaces at EPFL, led by Michael Grätzel, where scientists invented dye solar cells that mimic photosynthesis in plants, they have also developed methods for generating fuels such as hydrogen through solar water splitting. To do this, they either use photoelectrochemical cells that directly split water into hydrogen and oxygen when exposed to sunlight, or they combine electricity-generating cells with an electrolyzer that separates the water molecules.
By using the latter technique, Grätzel’s post-doctoral student Jingshan Luo and his colleagues were able to obtain a performance so spectacular that their achievement is being published today in the journal Science. Their device converts into hydrogen 12.3 percent of the energy diffused by the sun on perovskite absorbers – a compound that can be obtained in the laboratory from common materials, such as those used in conventional car batteries, eliminating the need for rare-earth metals in the production of usable hydrogen fuel.[MW1]
This high efficiency provides stiff competition for other techniques used to convert solar energy. But this method has several advantages over others:
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Hydrogen fuel” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
- Nikola doubles Q4 revenue, delivers first hydrogen fuel cell truckson February 26, 2024 at 6:15 am
In December, the company produced and delivered the first of its hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. Thirty-five went wholesale, while seven were reserved for demonstrations and testing. For the full year, ...
- Hydrogen industry preps legal challenge to Biden tax ruleson February 26, 2024 at 3:39 am
They argue the Biden administration’s plan would slow industry growth, while supporters say the standards are necessary to ensure that hydrogen fuel is made cleanly. The hydrogen credit rules could ...
- Manchin sets hearing on efforts to drill for geologic hydrogenon February 26, 2024 at 3:21 am
The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee will review efforts to drill for hydrogen and use it as zero-carbon fuel. The full committee — led by Chair Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) — will meet for the ...
- Hydrogen tram development project underwayon February 26, 2024 at 3:00 am
GERMANY: The Hydrogen Tram for Next Generation project has been launched to develop a fuel cell-powered vehicle which would enable services to be extended into new areas and tram-train routes created ...
- Hydrogen fuel cells and eliminating ‘forever chemicals’: Ofwat allocates fresh tranche of green innovation fundingon February 25, 2024 at 3:59 pm
Next-gen hydrogen fuel cells and a technology that could ‘zap’ away forever chemicals are among the innovations which UK water regulator Ofwat is financially supporting in the hopes of reducing the ...
- Nikola (NKLA) delivers first hydrogen fuel cell truck in the US, new EV trucks comingon February 22, 2024 at 8:46 am
Nikola Corp (NKLA) announced it had delivered the first production hydrogen fuel cell truck in North America during the ...
- Gold hydrogen: a near limitless supply of clean fuel?on February 20, 2024 at 2:07 am
Start-ups are scrambling to discover sources of so-called "gold hydrogen" after experts said the low-cost, low-impact energy could be an environmentally friendly game-changer. A recent discovery means ...
- 10 Things To Know About Toyota’s Hydrogen Fuel Cell Technologyon February 18, 2024 at 4:00 am
Hydrogen has long been seen as an ideal fuel source for motor vehicles. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, and processing it as fuel results in zero emissions besides water vapor.
- Celadyne coats membranes with nanoparticles to make hydrogen fuel cells more efficienton February 15, 2024 at 5:59 am
One startup thinks it has a solution for both sides. Chicago-based Celadyne has developed a nanoparticle coating that can be applied to existing fuel cell and electrolyzer membranes. The material ...
- Honda CR-V hydrogen fuel cell prototype unveiled — and it's a PHEV tooon February 13, 2024 at 9:57 am
Honda has unveiled its hydrogen fuel cell-powered CR-V, scheduled to go on the market in Japan later this year. Of course, it's not entirely unveiled, because the prototype wears a ...
via Bing News