As tech company LG demonstrated this summer with the unveiling of its 18-inch flexible screen, the next generation of roll-up displays is tantalizingly close.
Researchers are now reporting in the journal ACS Nano a new, inexpensive and simple way to make transparent, flexible transistors — the building blocks of electronics — that could help bring roll-up smartphones with see-through displays and other bendable gadgets to consumers in just a few years.
Yang Yang and colleagues note that transistors are traditionally made in a multi-step photolithography process, which uses light to print a pattern onto a glass or wafer. Not only is this approach costly, it also involves a number of toxic substances. Finding a greener, less-expensive alternative has been a challenge. Recently, new processing techniques using metal oxide semiconductors have attracted attention, but the resulting devices are lacking in flexibility or other essential traits. Yang’s team wanted to address these challenges.
The researchers developed inks that create patterns on ultrathin, transparent devices when exposed to light. This light sensitivity precludes the need for harsh substances or high temperatures. “The main application of our transistors is for next-generation displays, like OLED or LCD displays,” said Yang. “Our transistors are designed for simple manufacturing. We believe this is an important step toward making flexible electronics widely accessible.”
The Latest on: Flexible electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Flexible electronics
- Flexible Electronics Market Forecast to 2027 – COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Components, Application, and Geographyon April 30, 2021 at 9:30 am
The flexible electronics market is likely to witness growth during the forecast period due to several reason such as growth in sales of Internet of Things (IoT) devices and rise in concern of ...
- Flexible polymer memory devices derived from triphenylamine-pyrene containing donor-acceptor polyimideson April 29, 2021 at 8:59 am
Organic polymers based electrical memory devices have attracted significant scientific interest for flexible electronics. However, molecular design principle of polymers with the specified memory ...
- Worldwide Roll to Roll Flexible Electronics Industry to 2026 - Automotive Segment to Drive the Market Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.comon April 29, 2021 at 7:32 am
The “Roll to Roll Flexible Electronics Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 - 2026)” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. The Roll to Roll Printing ...
- Insights on the Flexible Electronics Global Market to 2026 - Featuring E Ink Holdings, Blue Spark Technologies and LG Electronics Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.comon April 29, 2021 at 7:24 am
The "Flexible Electronics Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 - 2026)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The flexible electronics market was valued ...
- Roll to Roll Flexible Electronics Market Growth Analysis, Outlook by 2020 - Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025on April 27, 2021 at 10:55 pm
The research report analyze market size, share, growth, trends, segmentation, top key players, strategies, demand, statistics, competitive landscape and forecast. The Roll to Roll Printing market was ...
- WFU scientists' research leads to flexible, low-cost technologyon April 27, 2021 at 4:45 am
Wake Forest University scientists direct research that has led to a method to determining and eliminating sources of instability to in turn create flexible and low-cost electronics.
- A new pathway to stable, low-cost, flexible electronicson April 21, 2021 at 9:20 am
Imagine a foldable smartphone or a rollable tablet device that is powerful, reliable and, perhaps most importantly, affordable.
- Ynvisible Interactive Inc. Forecasts Strong Fourth Quarter 2020, Provides Financial Outlook Webinar, Announces New Electronics Manufacturing Partnershon April 19, 2021 at 11:00 pm
Fourth Quarter 2020 sales of $142,374, almost double Second Quarter 2020; Adjusted total Fourth Quarter income is expected to be $472,167, compared to $357,733 in Q3;Forecasted 2020 cumulative income ...
- $48.5 Billion Flexible Electronics & Circuit Markets, 2026on April 14, 2021 at 11:43 am
DUBLIN, April 14, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Global Flexible Electronics & Circuit Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Structure Type (Single Sided Flex Circuit, Multilayer Flex Circuit ...
- $48.5 Billion Flexible Electronics & Circuit Markets, 2026on April 14, 2021 at 11:21 am
Disclaimer | Commerce Policy | Made In NYC | Stock quotes by finanzen.net DUBLIN, April 14, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Global Flexible Electronics & Circuit Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by ...
via Bing News