Her team’s discovery may provide future consumers a biologically-inspired alternative to gasoline.
Researchers at the US Department of Energy’s (DOE) Argonne National Laboratory have created a small scale “hydrogen generator” that uses light and a two-dimensional graphene platform to boost production of the hard-to-make element.
The research also unveiled a previously unknown property of graphene. The two-dimensional chain of carbon atoms not only gives and receives electrons, but can also transfer them into another substance.
Hydrogen is virtually everywhere on the planet, but the element is typically bonded with other elements and must be separated from oxygen in H2O to produce free hydrogen. The commercial separation process uses natural gas to react with superheated steam to strip away hydrogen atoms producing hydrogen fuel, but also carbon dioxide —a greenhouse gas byproduct which escapes into the atmosphere.
Argonne’s early-stage generator, composed of many tiny assemblies, is proof that hydrogen can be produced without burning fossil fuels. The scale is small, a little smaller than the diameter of spider silk. Scaling this research up in the future may mean that you could replace the gas in your cars and generators with hydrogen—a greener option, because burning hydrogen fuel emits only water vapor.
“Many researchers are looking to inorganic materials for new sources of energy,” said Elena Rozhkova, chemist at Argonne’s Center for Nanoscale Materials, a DOE Office of Science (Office of Basic Energy Sciences) User Facility. “Our goal is to learn from the natural world and use its materials as building blocks for innovation.”
The Latest on: Hydrogen generator
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Hydrogen generator” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen generator
- Hydrogen Fueling Station Market Projected to Reach USD 1.35 billion by 2032 , at a 17.30% CAGR – Report by Market Research Future (MRFR)on June 8, 2023 at 11:58 pm
According to a Comprehensive Report by MRFR/Market Research Future (MRFR), "Hydrogen Fueling Station Market Research Report Information By Station Size, Supply Type, ...
- Toyota’s Cartridge Helps Make Hydrogen Portableon June 7, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Hydrogen has long been touted as the solution ... or providing lighting for a campground without the noise of a combustion-engine generator. The cartridges take a difficult and fussy fuel and ...
- US grapples with how clean is green hydrogenon June 7, 2023 at 8:22 am
The Inflation Reduction Act will help build a viable hydrogen economy, but its success in reducing emissions may depend on how the United States defines what counts as clean.
- Plug Supplies 8 MW of Hydrogen Fuel Cells to Energy Vault to Displace Diesel Generators in California Wine Countryon June 7, 2023 at 6:14 am
The microgrid will integrate a short duration battery system with a long duration storage system of fuel cells and green liquid hydrogen. Plug’s fuel cell technology will serve as the microgrid’s ...
- Plug Power, Energy Vault to build largest planned U.S. hydrogen fuel cell installationon June 7, 2023 at 4:48 am
Plug Power (PLUG) said it will supply Energy Vault (NRGV) with 8 MW of hydrogen fuel cell stationary power to Calistoga, California, during times of wildfires and other emergencies.
- See This Big Ol’ Shipping Container? It’s Actually a Hydrogen Power Bankon June 6, 2023 at 7:57 pm
Australian startup Endua has unveiled a newly developed hydrogen power bank, capable of delivering up to 100kW of power per unit, which it claims is enough to power a water pump, farm shed, or a ...
- Off-grid hydrogen box could replace diesel generatorson June 5, 2023 at 1:00 pm
A shipping container-sized energy system has been developed by hydrogen startup Endua for remote sites, potentially eliminating millions of diesel generators.
- CSIRO project to build Australia’s first movable hydrogen generatoron May 29, 2023 at 9:22 pm
A new project led by CSIRO will develop an easily deployed device to produce hydrogen directly at the point of consumption.
- Revolutionary Hydrogen Generator Harnesses LOHCon May 29, 2023 at 7:55 pm
In the realm of energy innovation, a team of brilliant scientists of CISRO is spearheading the development of a groundbreaking hydrogen generator that has the potential to transform the way we ...
- CSIRO gets $10 million to build portable hydrogen generatoron May 28, 2023 at 5:01 pm
Australia’s national science agency will seek to the address some of the challenges associated with storing and transporting hydrogen by developing an off-grid, portable hydrogen generator designed to ...
via Bing News