When Orlando Rios first started analyzing samples of carbon fibers made from a woody plant polymer known as lignin, he noticed something unusual. The material’s microstructure — a mixture of perfectly spherical nanoscale crystallites distributed within a fibrous matrix — looked almost too good to be true.
“I thought, this looks like a material that people would go through a lot of work modifying graphite to make it look this way,” said Rios, a materials scientist at the Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory. “It had a really distinct microstructure from any other graphite I’d seen.”
Rios and his colleagues soon realized the lignin fiber’s unique structure could make it useful as a battery anode, potentially improving upon graphitic materials found in most lithium-ion batteries. Lignin, a low-cost byproduct of the pulp, paper and biofuels industries, could be transformed into a cheaper version of highly engineered graphite through a simple and industrially scalable manufacturing process.
“We start with the fibers when they’re in a polymer state and then fuse them together by essentially melting and burning them,” Rios said. “Then you have a structure that looks like a mat or piece of paper. You can take this material, place it in a battery and you’re done. It’s ready to go.”
The Latest on: Plant-based battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Plant-based battery
- FRV achieves financial close with NatWest for its Holes Bay battery project in the UKon October 14, 2021 at 4:49 am
Abdul Latif Jameel Energy’s Fotowatio Renewable Ventures (FRV has closed financing for a non-contracted revenue model for the Holes Bay battery project with British commercial bank NatWest . FRV ...
- TSMC announces chip plant in Japan, flags 'tight' capacity throughout 2022on October 14, 2021 at 4:16 am
Taiwan chip giant TSMC announced plans to build a new factory in Japan to meet long-term appetite for chips and said, near-term, tight supplies will likely continue into 2022 amid booming demand ...
- Commercial EV startup ELMS signs battery supply deal with CATLon October 14, 2021 at 4:12 am
U.S. commercial electric vehicle maker Electric Last Mile Solutions Inc (ELMS) on Thursday said it has signed a battery supply deal with China's Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd (CATL) .
- Fife battery storage plant sale follows Broxburn dealon October 13, 2021 at 9:48 pm
AN energy storage facility in Fife has been acquired by overseas investors in a deal that reflects strong interest in the sector amid the ...
- Stellantis to Retool Turin Plant for EVs & Maseratison October 13, 2021 at 11:32 am
Stellantis will remake its Turin, Italy factory into an electric-vehicle (EV) center to increase efficiency as it shifts to selling more EVs.
- NSG Group Installs Battery Storage Systemon October 12, 2021 at 9:05 am
NSG Group has installed an operational industrial-scale battery storage system at it’s Pilkington plant in Collingwood, Ontario. The 5MW/10MWh battery energy storage system was developed by Convergent ...
- Rivian intends to make its own batteries, hints at future European planton October 12, 2021 at 5:00 am
In its filings for the SEC earlier this month, Rivian suggested that it will seek to make its own batteries to complement those from suppliers.
- Tesla Gigafactory Berlin: Elon Musk eyes Model Y production next month, battery cells volume production in late 2022on October 10, 2021 at 10:50 pm
Elon Musk made an appearance at the recently held county fair-style Giga Fest at the Gigafactory Berlin site in Grunheide in Germanys Brandenburg state on Saturday. The Tesla CEO announced they are ...
- Tesla Teases Giga Berlin Production, 4680-Based Structural Batteryon October 9, 2021 at 12:38 pm
Tesla Model Y production will be launched in November. First customer deliveries in December. Tesla held a launch party at the Tesla Giga Berlin plant in Grünheide near Berlin, which is expected to ...
- Contractor Lobs Counterclaims In $7.9M Battery Plant Rowon October 5, 2021 at 2:30 pm
Alabama contractor TK LLC is pushing back on claims that it owes $7.9 million to a subcontractor for pipe work performed on an electric vehicle battery plant in Georgia, saying the work was late and ...
via Bing News