Though 3D printing technology is still relatively new, it may become an important tool for architects and the construction industry, as highlighted by projects like the recent 3D-printing of 10 homes in a day.
The latest example of this progress comes via US-based Andrey Rudenko, who has created a small concrete “castle” structure in his backyard using a large 3D printer he built himself. Next up, he’s making a house.
From small beginnings …
The 3D-printed castle is 2 years in the making, and began with Rudenko first fabricating a small 3D printer which printed using plastic. It took some time before he scaled-up to a much larger unit that could print in concrete reliably, but once Rudenko had solved issues like clogging, he was good to go.
“In short, the printer is a 3D concrete-extruding machine which pushes/extrudes and layers concrete in very fine, high-quality layers of almost any size and configuration,” explains Rudenko. “The machine is controlled by computer using the Arduino Mega 2560 micro-controller board; it prints directly from CAD files using a chain of software tools to control printing.”
The castle took a total of 2 months to print from start to finish. The 3D printer pushed out strips of 10 x 30 mm (0.4 x 1.1 in) concrete, which were then layered atop each other. However, with a printing rate of 50 cm (19.6 in) per 8 hours, it could have been built much quicker had Rudenko not taken his time tweaking the printer’s settings, testing its abilities, and ensuring that the quality was good.
The Latest on: Click-and-print architecture
via Google News
The Latest on: Click-and-print architecture
- NATA 2022 Phase 3 Admit Card Likely Tomorrow: Check nata.in; Latest Details Hereon August 4, 2022 at 1:46 am
It is important to note that the NATA 2022 Phase 3 Admit Card is a crucial document that all candidates should carry on the exam day. They will not be allowed to sit for the exam without a hall ticket ...
- The East Midlands Expo returns on Monday 14 November!on August 4, 2022 at 12:39 am
Taking place on Monday 14 November 2022, make new contacts at the East Midlands Expo, an established event of over 20 years!
- The Indy, Ep. 59: Behind the Scenes at the Santa Barbara Bowlon August 1, 2022 at 11:36 am
The Indy is the Santa Barbara Independent’s podcast, hosted by Molly McAnany. On this week’s episode, we head to the Santa Barbara Bowl to get a behind-the-scenes look at one ...
- Apartment building planned for last undeveloped lot behind Union Stationon August 1, 2022 at 5:54 am
Focus Property Group proposes a 12-story, 204-unit apartment building at 1901 Chestnut Place in a concept plan filed with the city last month.
- Sara Martin says EV charging equipment doesn’t have to be boring (Episode 159)on July 31, 2022 at 4:00 am
The design center director for Atom Power and principal at Open Door Architecture discusses the effect of electric vehicles on commercial architecture and integrating charging equipment into public ...
- KEAM Result likely to be released SOON at cee.kerala.gov.in- Here’s how to checkon July 28, 2022 at 5:01 am
The Kerala Commissioner for Entrance Examinations (CEE) results of the Engineering, Architecture, Pharmacy, and Medical (KEAM) Exam 2022. However, the date and time of the KEAM Exam result are yet to ...
- KEAM Result 2022 expected soon at cee.kerala.gov.in, check details hereon July 28, 2022 at 4:04 am
The Kerala Commissioner for Entrance Examination, CEE is going to declare the much awaited result of Architecture, Pharmacy, Enginee ...
- KEAM result 2022 expected soon at cee.kerala.gov.in, Know how to checkon July 28, 2022 at 1:43 am
KEAM result 2022 result shortly. The Kerala Commissioner for Entrance Examinations (CEE) results of the Engineering, Architecture, Pharmacy, and Medical (KEAM) Exam 2022. However, the date and time of ...
- Big is beautiful for award-winning Sausalito artist Raylene Gorumon July 27, 2022 at 11:31 pm
Raylene Gorum, who uses buildings as canvases, won this year’s grant from the Pirkle Jones Fund, established to honor the late Marin photographer.
- NATA 2022 Phase 3 Registration extended till July 27, Apply at nata.inon July 24, 2022 at 2:20 am
The Council of Architecture, COA has extended the last date to apply for National Aptitude Test in Architecture, NATA 2022 phase 3. The interested can ...
via Bing News