Meet VertiKUL, a student-designed prototype at the cutting edge of delivery drone technology
Unmanned aircraft may one day be used to deliver packages to your back patio, important d ocuments to your lawyer or even vital organs to hospital for transplantation. Although the legal framework for ‘delivery drones’ is not yet in place, the technology – as three students of engineering science at KU Leuven show – nearly is.
Master’s students Cyriel Notteboom, Menno Hochstenbach and Maarten Verbandt were given an unusual assignment for their master’s thesis: build a fully functioning drone. A year of intensive work later, VertiKUL made its maiden flight. The unmanned aircraft can pick up a package and deliver it to a destination up to 30 kilometres away.
While VertiKUL is not the first delivery drone around, it does include some notable improvements compared to its older competitors.
“The first drones were designed like small helicopters. This allowed for exceptional precision but limited range and speed due to high energy needs,” says master’s student of engineering science and project member Cyriel Notteboom. “In our prototype, we combined the high speed of an airplane with the take-off and landing capacities of a helicopter.”
The Latest on: Delivery drone
via Google News
The Latest on: Delivery drone
- Drone lung deliveryon October 15, 2021 at 6:22 pm
For the first time in the world, a drone had a successful lung delivery via drone transportation in Toronto. In this CBS health segment we learn that lungs are a very delicate organ and transportation ...
- ‘A new era’: Stellat’en First Nation and UBC launch medical supply drone delivery projecton October 15, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Stellat’en First Nation and the University of British Columbia have launched a year-long study to investigate whether drones can deliver medical supplies to remote communities.
- Flying sushi: Israel readies for delivery drone traffic jamson October 15, 2021 at 9:20 am
Drone powerhouse Israel is translating the knowhow of air force veterans to the delivery of sushi and ice-cream, as companies tap their expertise to avoid collisions in increasingly crowded skies.
- Israeli tech companies develop a plan to coordinate delivery drone trafficon October 15, 2021 at 7:00 am
As drone delivery of products like medication and food gets more advanced and more popular, companies in Israel are working to form a national network to coordinate drone traffic, like ...
- Drones Have Now Been Used to Deliver Lungs for Medical Transplanton October 14, 2021 at 8:51 am
The world’s first drone delivery of lungs has gone down in history as a success. Unither Bioélectronique, a bioengineering firm focused on organ transportation, recently completed a “proof-of-concept” ...
- Drone Delivery Investment: Wingcopter Gets Strategic Investment from Uber Co-Founder Garrett Camp’s Expaon October 14, 2021 at 8:00 am
Expa, -a global network of startup founders led by Uber co-founder Garret Camp, has announced a strategic investment in Wingcopter. Drone delivery investment is growing, and award winning German comp ...
- How lungs delivered by drone saved an Ontario man's lifeon October 13, 2021 at 11:48 am
That drone carried a pair of lungs 1.5 kilometers across downtown Toronto in what University Health Network believes was a world-first delivery that saved the life of Alain Hodak, 63, who was ...
- World's First Rooftop Drone Delivery Service Lands in Australiaon October 12, 2021 at 6:06 am
Wing launched what it claims to be the world’s first rooftop drone delivery service. Wing is a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc. and operates in Australia, the United States, and Finland. It specializes in ...
- Innovative Research Methodology for drugs delivery in disaster area, using drones’ technologyon October 11, 2021 at 8:09 am
Introduction In the past, qualitative research proceeded based on genuinely moderate concerns to safeguard its points of view and practices. In recent times, qualitative scientists have started to tos ...
- The Hidden Costs of Drone Deliveryon October 11, 2021 at 12:01 am
Ultra-fast drone delivery promises convenience, but comes at a high cost for workers, the environment, and public space.
via Bing News