Judging by some of the heavy action in the world of biotechnology, one could easily conclude that the industry is going to the dogs. Or cats, maybe.
There are start-ups named Nexvet and VetDC, CanFel Therapeutics (as in canine and feline), and even Fetch Pharma.
It’s a new example of pack behavior: Entrepreneurs with pedigrees from companies like Genentech and Amgen are now turning their attention to pets. They hope to develop innovative drugs for dogs and cats like those that have revolutionized the treatment of diseases like cancer and arthritis in people.
“We’ve been drugging ourselves for a long time and more recently we’ve been drugging our kids,” said Oleg Nodelman, an investor in and director of Kindred Biosciences, one of the new companies. “Why shouldn’t our pets have access to medicine?”
They do already, of course. Many of the big pharmaceutical companies have long had veterinary drug divisions. Eli Lilly’s animal division, Elanco, for instance, sells the company’s Prozac antidepressant under the name Reconcile to treat canine separation anxiety.
But the new entrepreneurs say they will be more nimble and do what the big companies are not doing, just as the early human medicine biotech companies did.
The big companies focus more on livestock — edible animals as opposed to petable ones, said Steven St. Peter, chief executive of Aratana Therapeutics, a pet biotech company. Their offerings for pets are mainly vaccines and treatments for fleas, ticks and worms.
The new companies hope instead to treat diseases like cancer and arthritis. Many are trying to develop monoclonal antibodies, which are proteins made in living cells. Such antibodies, like Humira for rheumatoid arthritis and Herceptin for breast cancer, are huge sellers in human medicine but have had almost no role so far in animal health.
The Latest on: Biotech Drugs for Pets
via Google News
The Latest on: Biotech Drugs for Pets
- Indiana State Rep. Campbell: 'We still have time to save these dogs' at testing facilityon May 20, 2022 at 12:06 pm
Campbell: "Ending the use of dogs in experiments will require fundamental change among various stakeholders ..." ...
- A tick-borne disease killed a Topeka-area family's cat. Here's how to protect your pets and yourselfon May 19, 2022 at 7:32 am
Ticks are 'pretty bad' this year, a Topeka veterinarian says. A woman whose cat died of a tick-borne disease urges pet owners to take precautions.
- Virginia Legislators Join In Call for Research Dog Adoptionson May 17, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Several Virginia legislators this week signed their names to an appeal to save 80 beagles used in toxicity tests by two out-of-state pharmaceutical companies. The dogs were slated for euthanasia at ...
- Perpetual crisis? Pharma communications and public relations pros just wait for the next shoe to dropon May 17, 2022 at 9:49 am
Siegall denied the claims. A drug manufacturer is looking to end a suit brought on by a Seattle-based biotech. Emcure Pharmaceuticals, a Pune, India-based manufacturer of generic drugs ...
- Investigation finds more than 80 Beagle puppies subject to drug testing at Posey County laboratoryon May 12, 2022 at 10:54 pm
From August 2021 to March 2022, the Humane Society of the United States claims an undercover investigator was employed at the facility and assigned to work on more than 70 ...
- Court dismisses appeal over generic drug to treat osteoarthritis in dogson May 10, 2022 at 6:29 pm
The Court of Appeal has dismissed an appeal brought by a veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer ... for a generic drug used to treat osteoarthritis in dogs. In a judgment on Tuesday on behalf ...
- Skyrocketing Prescription-Drug Prices Are a More Intractable Problem than the White House Realizeson May 10, 2022 at 5:00 pm
“That includes price-fixing by the biggest dog in the market ... being undertaken by the pharmaceutical industry. It costs more than $100 million to bring a new drug to market, with no guarantee ...
- Invetx raises $60.5 million to make long-lasting antibody therapies for cats and dogson May 10, 2022 at 6:10 am
Massachusetts is the hotbed of biotech innovation ... But so far there are only two antibody drugs approved for pets in the United States. “It is still a novelty today,” Horn said.
- People lost 53 lbs on average in revolutionary weight loss drug trialon May 8, 2022 at 6:59 am
The drug, which is being developed by pharmaceutical company Lilly is called tirzepatide ... Apple AirPods Pro are down to the lowest price of 2022 Have a dog or a cat? Get the legendary Chom Chom ...
- Invicro Opens New Global Headquarters and Laboratory in Needham, Mass.on May 5, 2022 at 3:34 am
New facility meets the growing demands of pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies developing life-changing drugs NEEDHAM, Mass., May 5, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Invicro LLC, a part of REALM IDx ...
via Bing News