Judging by some of the heavy action in the world of biotechnology, one could easily conclude that the industry is going to the dogs. Or cats, maybe.
There are start-ups named Nexvet and VetDC, CanFel Therapeutics (as in canine and feline), and even Fetch Pharma.
It’s a new example of pack behavior: Entrepreneurs with pedigrees from companies like Genentech and Amgen are now turning their attention to pets. They hope to develop innovative drugs for dogs and cats like those that have revolutionized the treatment of diseases like cancer and arthritis in people.
“We’ve been drugging ourselves for a long time and more recently we’ve been drugging our kids,” said Oleg Nodelman, an investor in and director of Kindred Biosciences, one of the new companies. “Why shouldn’t our pets have access to medicine?”
They do already, of course. Many of the big pharmaceutical companies have long had veterinary drug divisions. Eli Lilly’s animal division, Elanco, for instance, sells the company’s Prozac antidepressant under the name Reconcile to treat canine separation anxiety.
But the new entrepreneurs say they will be more nimble and do what the big companies are not doing, just as the early human medicine biotech companies did.
The big companies focus more on livestock — edible animals as opposed to petable ones, said Steven St. Peter, chief executive of Aratana Therapeutics, a pet biotech company. Their offerings for pets are mainly vaccines and treatments for fleas, ticks and worms.
The new companies hope instead to treat diseases like cancer and arthritis. Many are trying to develop monoclonal antibodies, which are proteins made in living cells. Such antibodies, like Humira for rheumatoid arthritis and Herceptin for breast cancer, are huge sellers in human medicine but have had almost no role so far in animal health.
The Latest on: Biotech Drugs for Pets
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Biotech Drugs for Pets” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Biotech Drugs for Pets
- Gunther’s Millions: The True Story Behind Netflix’s Rich Dog Docuserieson February 4, 2023 at 12:00 am
Netflix presents the true story behind the "millionaire dog." Here's what you need to know about the real life Gunther's Millions.
- PET Spunbond Nonwoven Market Share 2023 Reliable trends, Impressive CAGR, Business Development Plans 2028 with Top Countries Dataon February 3, 2023 at 7:35 am
[Report Pages- 106] Global "PET Spunbond Nonwoven Market" 2023 Report Outlines a thorough analysis of market segments based on the Product Types [Food Grade, Cosmetic Grade, Pharmaceutical Grade], ...
- More time with your pets? SF biotech company trying to create fountain of youth for dogson February 3, 2023 at 12:00 am
We all love our dogs. But what if we got to love them for much longer than we do now? That's the mission of one San Francisco startup - creating medicine that could make dogs live longer and healthier ...
- Stocks in play: Pet Valu Holdings Ltdon February 2, 2023 at 10:14 am
Pet Valu Holdings Ltd shares T.PET are trading -$0.08 at ... Witnessing Growing Revenue Potential in Ongoing Battle Against Pancreatic Cancer New Biotech Sector Drug Combinations Target a Drop in ...
- ‘Gunther’s Millions’ doc reveals wild hoax, orgies behind ‘world’s richest dog’on January 31, 2023 at 5:05 pm
The press billed Gunther III as the richest pet in the world — and he lived the life. In 2000, it was widely reported that Gunther had purchased Madonna’s Miami mansion for $7.5 million. Then, later ...
- Pharmacist says Pharma Companies and Distributers Working Together to Keep Veterinary Drug Prices Highon January 30, 2023 at 12:32 pm
An Ontario Pharmacist has filed a Competition Act complaint against certain Pharmaceutical Companies and Vet Drug Distributers alleging anti-competitive business practices.
- Pharmacist alleges firms curb supply of pet medicine to hike priceson January 30, 2023 at 2:00 am
Wendy Chui alleges in a complaint filed last week that pharmacists are being blocked from stocking pet medicines, which they are legally allowed to dispense ...
- Merck Animal Health: FDA Approves Expanded Indication For BRAVECTO Chews For Dogson January 26, 2023 at 6:22 am
Merck Animal Health, a division of Merck & Co., Inc. (MRK), announced the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's approval of an ...
- Why are new drugs so expensive?on January 24, 2023 at 9:55 am
US legislation, profit motives, medical advances and patents are some of the reasons why new treatments are becoming more and more costly ...
- Veterinary Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) Market to cross USD 71 billion by 2032, says Global Market Insights Inc.on January 23, 2023 at 1:09 am
Veterinary Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Market is predicted to register 6% CAGR between 2023 and 2032 owing to surging awareness of animal health, physical and mental well-beingSelbyville, ...
via Bing News