Collaborative three-dimensional sketching is now possible thanks to a system known as Hyve-3D that University of Montreal researchers are presenting today at the SIGGRAPH 2014 conference in Vancouver.
“Hyve-3D is a new interface for 3D content creation via embodied and collaborative 3D sketching,” explained lead researcher Professor Tomás Dorta, of the university’s School of Design. “The system is a full scale immersive 3D environment. Users create drawings on hand-held tables. They can then use the tablets to manipulate the sketches to create a 3D design within the space”. For example, as the designers are immersed in their work, this could mean designing the outside of a car, and then actually getting into it to work on the interior detailing. Hyve-3D stands for “Hybrid Virtual Environment 3D”. Univalor, the university’s technology commercialization unit, is supporting the market launch of the system.
The 3D images are the result of an optical illusion created by a widescreen high-resolution projector, a specially designed 5m-diameter spherically concave fabric screen and a 16-inch dome mirror projecting the image onto the screen. The system is driven by a MacBook Pro laptop, a tracking system with two 3D sensors, and two iPad mini tablets. Each iPad is attached to a tracker. “The software takes care of all the networking, scene management, 3D graphics and projection, and also couples the sensors input and iPad devices,” Dorta explains. “The iPads run a Satellite application, which serves as the user interaction front-end of the system. Specialized techniques render the 3D scene onto a spherical projection in real-time”. The Hyve-3D software also works on conventional 2D displays.
The Latest on: 3D Sketching System
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D Sketching System
- Volkswagen is using its electric ID.Buzz van to test self-driving techon February 27, 2021 at 3:07 am
Beyond that, VW autonomous driving exec Christian Senger said "This year, for the first time, we are conducting field trials in Germany, in which the self-driving system by Argo AI ... VW also ...
- Joshua Bassett Says He’s Proud of Olivia Rodrigo Over "Saturday Night Live" "Drivers License" Sketchon February 26, 2021 at 2:14 pm
Joshua Bassett laughed just as hard as you did to the Saturday Night Live "Drivers License" sketch that name-checked him and mentioned his relationship with Olivia Rodrigo. In a new interview with ...
- This is it -- the final days of the February Salon are upon us...on February 26, 2021 at 10:14 am
This is it -- the final days of the February Salon are upon us! The salon will run through Sun., Feb. 28 -- both online and in-house. The gallery will be open on Saturdays and Sundays from 1 to 5 pm.
- An Excellent Primer For Sketching Mechanical Drawingson February 25, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Mechanical drawings are an excellent way to convey design information, and while sophisticated 3D modeling is slowly taking over, with some companies accepting files over drawings, the mechanical ...
- Warzone New Threats Intel locations: Where to find the power sources, monumental clue sketch locationson February 24, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Check the corner desk near the doorway for the Intel. For the next New Threats objective, you are given the clue "A sketch could provide a monumental clue..." and the following image for 5000 XP ...
- The Best Tablet Styluses for Digital Sketchingon February 24, 2021 at 3:17 am
A growing number of artists are abandoning their sketch pads and pencils for the infinite ... you have an admirable pen available to you in the Pro Pen 3D. It features the same excellent pressure ...
- Architecture Apps: The Latest Architecture and Newson February 23, 2021 at 4:00 pm
the release of the company's powerful system for augmented reality apps, ARKit—Morpholio has released a new update to their popular Trace app that allows users to sketch over photographs with ...
- Microsoft Windows 10on February 22, 2021 at 7:26 pm
The new Snip & Sketch app lets you mark up and share ... Not everyone needs the Print 3D app taking up system space. Also arriving with that update are new Notepad options and shortcuts.
- Person-of-Interest Sketch Released in Homicide of 2-Year-Old Girl; $20K Reward Offeredon February 17, 2021 at 8:57 am
INDIANA— Police have released the photo of a person of interest in the July 2020 homicide of Joette "Jo Jo" Malone, a 2-year-old Gary girl who was hit by gunfire while sitting in her mother's ...
- Sony Electronics teams with Sketchfab to Launch 3D Robot Modeling Challengeon February 3, 2021 at 4:00 am
Sketchfab's technology is integrated with every major 3D creation tool and publishing platform, and is compatible across every browser, operating system, desktop and mobile. Sketchfab also ...
via Bing News