Physicists at The Australian National University have created a tractor beam on water, providing a radical new technique that could confine oil spills, manipulate floating objects or explain rips at the beach.
The group, led by Professor Michael Shats, discovered they can control water flow patterns with simple wave generators, enabling them to move floating objects at will.
“We have figured out a way of creating waves that can force a floating object to move against the direction of the wave,” said Dr Horst Punzmann, from the Research School of Physics and Engineering, who led the project.
“No one could have guessed this result,” he said.
The new technique gives scientists a way of controlling things adrift on water in a way they have never had before, resembling sci-fi tractor beams that draw in objects.
The Latest on: Tractor beam
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Tractor beam” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Tractor beam
- Tractor-trailer’s cab crushed by own steel beams in west Charlotteon February 23, 2024 at 5:29 pm
The West Mecklenburg Fire Department said they responded just before 8 a.m. to a truck on Wilkinson Boulevard at the Interstate 485 bridge. There, a tractor-trailer’s load of steel beams had ...
- Tractor Supply Couponson February 23, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Ratings with an average of out of 5 stars. Spend $29 or more and receive complimentary standard delivery on dog food, indoor and outdoor halloween decor, livestock handling equipment and loads more.
- Police: Man, 71, dies in wreck after driving wrong way down South Main Street in Tayloron February 23, 2024 at 12:21 pm
A 71-year-old man has died after driving the wrong way down South Main Street in Taylor and hitting a tractor-trailer, police say.
- Tractor Supply Co TSCOon February 23, 2024 at 10:59 am
We sell different types of products and services to both investment professionals and individual investors. These products and services are usually sold through license agreements or subscriptions ...
- Riker's Hometown Wants to Put a Perfectly Postured Statue Up in His Nameon February 22, 2024 at 5:30 pm
Valdez, Alaska, could follow the likes of Riverside, Iowa, and Bloomington, Indiana, in granting a future Star Trek citizen their own memorial.
- Sonos Beam vs. Sonos Ray: Which soundbar is best for you?on February 21, 2024 at 10:00 pm
When it comes to the company’s soundbars, two of the most popular options are the Sonos Beam (Gen 2) and the company’s most affordable soundbar, the Sonos Ray. The Sonos Ray also comes in ...
- Rural lifestyle retailer to open store in Quartz Hillon February 21, 2024 at 3:00 am
QUARTZ HILL — Tractor Supply Company, the largest rural lifestyle retailer in the United States, announced Tuesday it will celebrate the grand opening of the Quartz Hill location Thursday through ...
- Greek farmers leave Athens after tractor protest over rising costson February 20, 2024 at 9:21 pm
ATHENS (Reuters) -Greek farmers drove their tractors out of central Athens on Wednesday after spending the night in front of parliament to protest against rising fuel and production costs. At least ...
- Twisted DNA Increases CRISPR Off-target Effectson February 7, 2024 at 4:00 pm
It's actually very similar to what you would get in Star Trek. It's a real-life tractor beam that allows us to capture and manipulate objects in space. -David Rueda, Imperial College London CRISPR ...
- Zero Wingon January 30, 2024 at 12:57 pm
First use the zig's tractor beam to pull in a smart bomb, hold this bomb in your tractor beam until another item ship carrying another bomb is on screen, use the bomb you are carrying to destroy ...
via Bing News