A revolutionary handheld and battery-powered DNA diagnostic device invented at the University of Otago is poised to become a commonly used field tool for rapidly detecting suspected viruses or bacteria in samples while also determining the level of infection.
The breakthrough device, dubbed Freedom4, will be unveiled today at the Queenstown Molecular Biology main meeting. It takes advantage of a technology called quantitative PCR to identify target DNA sequences in real-time, without the need for further processing.
As an example, using Freedom4, the presence and extent of norovirus infection in a sample could be confirmed within less than an hour, while the person using the unit was still at the outbreak site.
Dr Jo-Ann Stanton, who led the programme to develop the device, says that as well as enabling ‘anytime, anywhere’ clinical diagnosis of viral infectious diseases in humans and animals, it also has many other potential uses, such as border security, forensics or environmental monitoring.
Developed by Dr Stanton’s multidisciplinary team at Otago’s Department of Anatomy, the sturdy unit weighs the same as a typical laptop and fits on the palm of your hand. Freedom4 boasts a six-hour battery life and can be tethered to a laptop, or connect wirelessly to smart phones or tablets running custom software that analyses and interprets the test results.
“This mobility could provide a great boon for farmers. For instance, vets could drive around a farm analysing samples from various locations, make their diagnoses and treat infected animals-all in one trip,” she says.
The Latest on: DNA diagnostics
via Google News
The Latest on: DNA diagnostics
- Momentum Builds for Global DNA Pioneer Natera’s Proprietary Genetic Testingon February 25, 2021 at 11:55 am
Let’s get this out there right away. Other than the word genetic, Natera’s proprietary genetic testing has little in common with direct-to-consumer products like Ancestry and 23andMe.
- Veterinary Molecular Diagnostics Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Market Size Research Report Forecast up to 2025on February 25, 2021 at 11:32 am
The global Veterinary Molecular Diagnostics Market report covers detailed study with the underlying influencing factors ...
- Co-Diagnostics, Inc. Partner to Offer At-Home Saliva Collection Kits for CoPrimer™-Based COVID-19 PCR Test Through Walgreens Find Care®on February 25, 2021 at 6:37 am
Co-Diagnostics, Inc. (Nasdaq: CODX), a molecular diagnostics company with a unique, patented platform for the development of diagnostic tests, announced today that laboratory partner Clinical ...
- Circulating cell free DNA response to exhaustive exercise in average trained men with type I diabetes mellituson February 25, 2021 at 6:36 am
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) is a serious lifelong disease caused by specific immune-mediated destruction of pancreatic beta cells resulting in a lack of insulin and hyperglycemia 1. With ...
- Applied DNA Granted U.S. Patent Covering Methods of Utilizing DNA Tagged Submicron Particles for Authenticationon February 25, 2021 at 6:09 am
Newly granted patent has applicability in the DNA tagging of pharmaceutical, nutraceutical and personal care excipients.
- DNA Script Exclusively Licenses baseclick GmbH Technology to Enable Benchtop Printing of Modified DNA On-Demandon February 23, 2021 at 6:02 am
DNA Script, SAS, a leading pioneer in enabling DNA synthesis on demand, and baseclick GmbH announced today an exclusive licensing agreement that grants DNA Script use of the novel “Click” chemistry ...
- Personal Genome Diagnostics and Fox Chase Cancer Center Announce Partnership to Broaden Liquid Biopsy Applications in Oncology Clinical Researchon February 23, 2021 at 5:02 am
Personal Genome Diagnostics Inc. (PGDx), a leader in cancer genomics, today announced a strategic collaboration with Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia for the PGDx elio™ plasma resolve liquid ...
- Vice President visits Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) in Hyderabad; Inaugurates Pediatric Rare Genetic Disorders Laboratoryon February 19, 2021 at 8:14 pm
The Vice President, Shri M Venkaiah Naidu today called upon the people, particularly the youth, to adopt healthy lifestyle and avoid sedentary living and junk food in view of the ...
- Applied DNA to Provide Back-To-Campus COVID-19 Surveillance Testing to LIM Collegeon February 19, 2021 at 5:00 am
Applied DNA Sciences, Inc., a leader in Polymerase Chain Reaction- based DNA manufacturing, and LIM College, a midtown Manhattan- based leader in education for the business of fashion, today announced ...
- Twist Bioscience and Victorian Clinical Genetic Services Collaborate on Development of Novel Whole Exome Capture Diagnostic Assayon February 18, 2021 at 11:00 am
Twist Bioscience Corporation (NASDAQ: TWST), a company enabling customers to succeed through its offering of high-quality synthetic DNA using its sili ...
via Bing News