Energy trade association RenewableUK calls the UK “the undisputed global leader in marine energy.”
If plans for a tidal lagoon in Swansea Bay go ahead, that claim will be reinforced. Tidal Lagoon Swansea Bay would be the world’s first man-made energy-generating lagoon and could power over 155,000 homes.
Renewable energy is, of course, an area of huge importance and growth. A 2011 study by researchers at University of California-Davis and Stanford University suggests that the world could be powered completely by clean energy within 20-40 years.
Of the renewable options available, tidal is particularly intriguing. Renewable UK says wave and tidal energy could produce around 20 percent of the UK’s current electricity needs, and that the ongoing reduction in its technology costs will make it increasingly viable from a commercial perspective.
location for tidal power generation. The proposal would see a 9.5 km (6 mi) lagoon wall constructed, halfway round which would be a 550 m (1,804 ft) turbine housing. The turbine housing would provide a means of allowing water to flow in and out of the lagoon as the tide rises and falls. Up to 26 turbines would be contained in the housing and would be driven with the flow of water in and out of the lagoon.
The Latest on: Tidal power
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Tidal power” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Tidal power
- ‘Mixed feelings’ about multi-billion tidal power plan across Merseyon November 30, 2023 at 11:00 pm
It will generate power using the tides to move turbines to create electricity. Since the LDRS published the findings of the report, some people have raised concerns about the potential costs of any ...
- Tidal barrage could be new Wirral-Liverpool linkon November 30, 2023 at 4:52 am
A tidal barrage across the Mersey could provide a new link between Wirral and Liverpool, according to a report.
- Tidal barrage could become major crossing- reporton November 29, 2023 at 9:48 am
A tidal barrage across the Mersey could provide a major new link between Wirral and Liverpool, a new report said.The Liverpool City Region Combined Authority report said people could cross the river ...
- Tidal barrage could become major link between Wirral and Liverpool - reporton November 29, 2023 at 9:48 am
A tidal barrage across the Mersey could provide a major new link between Wirral and Liverpool, a new report said. The Liverpool City Region Combined Authority report said people could cross the river ...
- Blue power: Will ocean waves be California’s new source of clean energy?on November 29, 2023 at 7:15 am
Only a few small demonstration projects off the West Coast have harnessed the power of waves and tides. Costs are high and hurdles are challenging.
- Plans for new tidal barrage that could link Wirral and Liverpoolon November 29, 2023 at 3:40 am
A PROPOSED tidal barrage for the Mersey could provide a major new link between Wirral and Liverpool, according to a new report.
- The world’s oldest tidal power stationon November 25, 2023 at 5:16 am
The La Rance tidal power station in Brittany, France is the world’s first tidal power station. Inaugurated on November 26, 1966 and still operational, it is, naturally, the world’s oldest tidal power ...
- New Alaska Tidal Energy Pilot Project Further Tests Market Potentialon November 22, 2023 at 11:51 am
Developer Ocean Renewable Power Co. Inc. seeks federal OK for 5-MW project in Cook Inlet to test potential of river current power system for remote communities and industrial users.
- How can tidal power be integrated into building design?on November 17, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Tidal power is the energy that can be extracted from the rise and fall of the sea level, or the horizontal flow of water in and out of coastal areas. There are different types of tidal power ...
- Tidal power turbine owned by bankrupt company washes ashore on Brier Islandon November 17, 2023 at 10:27 am
A tidal turbine owned by a company already financially on the rocks washed ashore on Brier Island, N.S., Friday morning.
via Bing News