An outline of Marilyn Monroe’s iconic face appeared on the clear, plastic film when a researcher fogs it with her breath.
Terry Shyu, a doctoral student in chemical engineering at the University of Michigan, was demonstrating a new high-tech label for fighting drug counterfeiting. While the researchers don’t envision movie stars on medicine bottles, but they used Monroe’s image to prove their concept.
Counterfeit drugs, which at best contain wrong doses and at worst are toxic, are thought to kill more than 700,000 people per year. While less than 1 percent of the U.S. pharmaceuticals market is believed to be counterfeit, it is a huge problem in the developing world where as much as a third of the available medicine is fake.
To fight back against these and other forms of counterfeiting, researchers at U-M and in South Korea have developed a way to make labels that change when you breathe on them, revealing a hidden image.
“One challenge in fighting counterfeiting is the need to stay ahead of the counterfeiters,” said Nicholas Kotov, the Joseph B. and Florence V. Cejka Professor of Chemical Engineering who led the Michigan effort.
The method requires access to sophisticated equipment that can create very tiny features, roughly 500 times smaller than the width of a human hair. But once the template is made, labels can be printed in large rolls at a cost of roughly one dollar per square inch. That’s cheap enough for companies to use in protecting the reputation of their products—and potentially the safety of their consumers.
The Latest on: Counterfeit medications
via Google News
The Latest on: Counterfeit medications
- Couple arrested for selling banned veterinary drugson February 27, 2021 at 3:25 am
A former district veterinary officer and his wife have been arrested and remanded at Ntungamo government prison for allegedly dealing in falsified and counterfeit veterinary medicines. The ...
- Men arrested for smuggling counterfeit Viagra from China to Vietnamon February 27, 2021 at 3:17 am
Police in the Central Highlands province of Gia Lai have arrested two men bringing 20,000 pills of fake Viagra into Vietnam for sale.
- RCMP seize drugs, forged documents, counterfeit money in Didsbury, Alta.on February 26, 2021 at 2:25 pm
Serving a search warrant at a home in Didsbury, Alta. has resulted in a quantity of drugs being seized, along with forged documents and counterfeit money.
- Man sentenced to prison in counterfeiting caseon February 26, 2021 at 11:35 am
A Sidney man will spend at least seven years in prison in a case centered on counterfeit checks.Jamie A. Elliott, 39, was sentenced Feb. 26 ...
- KCRA 3 Special Report: Deadly counterfeit pills in NorCalon February 25, 2021 at 7:53 pm
KCRA 3 Investigates' Brian Heap reported on the rise of fake black-market pills and social media for a special report on Feb. 25, 2021. The special hopes to jumpstart conversations between parents and ...
- 5 arrested after drugs, counterfeit money, sawed-off shotgun found in north Forsyth County homeon February 25, 2021 at 12:07 am
5 arrested after drugs, counterfeit money, sawed-off shotgun found in north Forsyth County home The Johns Creek and Forsyth County Drug Task Force have made five arrests after receiving a tip about ...
- Dawson County man one of five charged after drugs, counterfeit money, sawed-off shotgun found at Forsyth County homeon February 24, 2021 at 10:11 am
A regional drug task force arrested five people last week, including a Dawson County man, after authorities received a tip about drugs being sold out of a north Forsyth County home.
- Andhra Pradesh: Counterfeit drugs found in Bhimavaram, in-depth probe beginson February 24, 2021 at 8:37 am
The department of drug control has found counterfeit drugs in Bhimavaram of West Godavari district. Against this backdrop, the Department of Drug Control has taken action to find out on how many shops ...
- Counterfeit Fake Drugs and Unwholesome Processed Foods Miscellaneous Provision Acton February 23, 2021 at 8:56 am
Read all the latest news, breaking stories, top headlines, opinion, pictures and videos about Counterfeit Fake Drugs and Unwholesome Processed Foods Miscellaneous Provision Act from Nigeria and the ...
- $1 million fentanyl in Show Lowon February 23, 2021 at 4:00 am
Illegal and sometimes deadly use of fentanyl that can kill in small doses is nothing new to the White Mountains.
via Bing News