What if computer screens had glasses instead of the people staring at the monitors? That concept is not too far afield from technology being developed by UC Berkeley computer and vision scientists.
The researchers are developing computer algorithms to compensate for an individual’s visual impairment, and creating vision-correcting displays that enable users to see text and images clearly without wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses. The technology could potentially help hundreds of millions of people who currently need corrective lenses to use their smartphones, tablets and computers. One common problem, for example, is presbyopia, a type of farsightedness in which the ability to focus on nearby objects is gradually diminished as the aging eyes’ lenses lose elasticity.
More importantly, the displays could one day aid people with more complex visual problems, known as high order aberrations, which cannot be corrected by eyeglasses, said Brian Barsky, UC Berkeley professor of computer science and vision science, and affiliate professor of optometry.
“We now live in a world where displays are ubiquitous, and being able to interact with displays is taken for granted,” said Barsky, who is leading this project. “People with higher order aberrations often have irregularities in the shape of the cornea, and this irregular shape makes it very difficult to have a contact lens that will fit. In some cases, this can be a barrier to holding certain jobs because many workers need to look at a screen as part of their work. This research could transform their lives, and I am passionate about that potential.”
The Latest on: Vision-correcting display
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Vision-correcting display” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Vision-correcting display
- Global Prescription Lens Market Report 2022 to 2030 - Featuring Essilor, ZEISS International, Vision Ease and Vision Rx Among Otherson December 8, 2022 at 11:15 am
The "Global Prescription Lens Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Type (Single Vision, Progressive, Workspace Progressives), by Application, by Coating, by Region, and Segment Forecasts, ...
- CORRECTING and REPLACING OMNIVISION Unveils New-Generation Global Shutter Image Sensor for Mainstream AR/VR/MR and Metaverseon December 7, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Second paragraph, third sentence of release dated December 6, 2022, should read: It has 640 x 480 resolution with a package size of just 3.6mm x 2.7mm and comes in a 1/7.5-inch optical format.
- Best Night Vision Binoculars 2022: Deals this holiday seasonon December 5, 2022 at 8:29 am
Night vision equipment uses sensors similar to digital cameras to collect light and amplify it. This information is displayed as a small on-screen display in front of your eyes, similar to an ...
- $1 POV Display Goes Round And Roundon December 4, 2022 at 4:00 pm
You don’t need much to do a persistence of vision display. A few LEDs and a processor is all it really takes. [B45i] made a simple PC board with five LEDs and an ATtiny CPU. There’s a battery ...
- Rear Vision - How History Shaped Todayon December 3, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Centrelink’s 'automated debt recovery system' - or Robodebt - sparked two Senate inquiries, an Ombudsman inquiry, numerous court cases and now a Royal Commission. Despite being found to be ...
- Life After Laser Vision Correctionon December 1, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Sign up for the Daily Humor newsletter and get The New Yorker cartoons and Shouts—plus more funny stuff—every day in your in-box! You leave a swig of orange juice ...
- The New Ferrari Vision GranTurismo Is Virtually Awesomeon December 1, 2022 at 12:05 pm
The 1,338 HP Vision GranTurismo is Ferrari's first-ever exclusive racecar for the virtual world, and it's the wildest Prancing Horse ever made!
- Paper like Display Market SWOT Analysis by Leading Key Players Seiko Epson, Plastic Logic, Polymer Vision,on November 29, 2022 at 9:37 pm
The Key companies profiled in the Paper like DisplayMarket: Top major vendor/key players in the Global Paper like Display Market Seiko Epson, Plastic Logic, Polymer Vision & Others. The Paper like ...
- Vision Care Market to be worth USD 169.37 billion by 2032, Get Insights FMIon November 29, 2022 at 4:39 am
The vision care market is expected to grow at a decent CAGR of 7.3% during the forecast period. The valuation of the vision care market as on 2022 is US$ 83.72 billion, and the market is projected to ...
- Celico mass-producing vision correction 'AR glasses' in the first quarter of next yearon November 29, 2022 at 12:58 am
Celico will start to mass-produce augmented reality (AR) glasses for patients with low vision in the first quarter of next year. They introduced product that minimize user inconvenience with smaller s ...
via Bing News