The improved performance could mean expanding the expected lifespan of silicon-based electric vehicle batteries up to 3 times or more, which would be significant for consumers, considering replacement batteries cost thousands of dollars. For cell phones or tablets, it could mean having to recharge every three days, instead of every day.
Researchers at the University of California, Riverside’s Bourns College of Engineering have created a lithium ion battery that outperforms the current industry standard by three times. The key material: sand. Yes, sand.
“This is the holy grail – a low cost, non-toxic, environmentally friendly way to produce high performance lithium ion battery anodes,” said Zachary Favors, a graduate student working with Cengiz and MihriOzkan, both engineering professors at UC Riverside.
The idea came to Favors six months ago. He was relaxing on the beach after surfing in San Clemente, Calif. when he picked up some sand, took a close look at it and saw it was made up primarily of quartz, or silicon dioxide.
The Latest on: Battery performance
via Google News
The Latest on: Battery performance
- Nouveau Monde Admitted to the Global Battery Alliance – with Focus on Promoting Sustainability ...on August 31, 2021 at 12:02 am
Nouveau Monde Graphite Inc. (“Nouveau Monde” or the “Company”) ( NYSE: NMG, TSXV: NOU) has been admitted as an active member of the Global Battery Alliance (“GBA”), a World Economic Forum’s initiative ...
- Train Battery Market Growth Factors, Opportunities and Ongoing Trends - 2030on August 30, 2021 at 10:37 pm
The global Train Battery Market size is projected to reach USD 255 million by 2030 from an estimated value of USD 143 million in 2020 at a CAGR of 5 9 Rapid urbanization in emerging countries and ...
- Penske, Stem Pilot Advanced Battery Storage Systemon August 30, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Penske Truck Leasing, as part of its ongoing goal to expand the electrification of its fleet, is piloting software in conjunction with artificial intelligence energy storage provider Stem, Inc., to ...
- SVOLT unveils cobalt-free battery, claiming first company to reach ‘series production’on August 30, 2021 at 10:01 am
Battery systems manufacturer SVOLT has unveiled a cobalt-free battery pack at the Chengdu Motor Show in China said to be a world's first.
- Nest Doorbell with battery review: The free features we've always wantedon August 30, 2021 at 9:57 am
Google's Nest beats Amazon's Ring, thanks to a handful of free features. But can it best the rest of the competition?
- Novel battery chemistry for zinc-ion batterieson August 30, 2021 at 8:17 am
Scientists have demonstrated a zinc-ion battery that overcomes many of the challenges for this technology. By working with a highly-concentrated salt solution as the electrolyte, the group was able to ...
- Need to keep your smartphone alive? Tips for preserving battery life.on August 30, 2021 at 7:24 am
In an emergency, your smartphone can provide a vital lifeline. Here are some tips to squeeze some extra battery life from your smartphone.
- How to boost your MacBook battery when on the goon August 30, 2021 at 4:00 am
To improve and possibly extend the battery life on your MacBook daily, you should consider performing any of the following. Apple makes it easy to identify which apps and processes are currently using ...
- Who will win EV battery race: U.S., China or Europe?on August 30, 2021 at 1:00 am
China dominates lithium ion battery production; Europe is on its tail. The U.S. needs to make strides to catch up.
- Experimental chlorine battery holds 6 times more charge than lithium-ionon August 29, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Stanford University scientists experimenting with a decades-old, single-use battery architecture have developed of a new version that is not only rechargeable, but offers around six times the capacity ...
via Bing News