Bacterial infections usually announce themselves with pain and fever but often can be defeated with antibiotics — and then there are those that are sneaky and hard to beat.
Now, scientists have built a new weapon against such pathogens in the form of tiny DNA pyramids. Published in the journal ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, their study found the nanopyramids can flag bacteria and kill more of them than medicine alone.
David Leong, Jianping Xie and colleagues note that some infectious pathogens can lie in wait, undetectable in the human body or in places that antibiotics have a hard time accessing. Engineered nanomedicine offers a new way to deliver drugs directly into bacterial cells, but the carriers developed so far pose problems such as toxicity. So Leong’s team decided to use DNA to build a better, safer drug-delivery tool.
They made little pyramids out of DNA that were so small that thousands could fit in the period at the end of this sentence. Then, they attached gold nanomaterials as fluorescent tags and also packaged the drug actinomycin D (AMD) into the struts of the DNA pyramids. In tests on the common bacteria Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus, the scientists tracked the nanopyramids as they entered the cells and released the drug payload. This killed 65 percent of the S. aureus and 48 percent of the E. coli, compared to 42 percent and 14 percent with AMD alone.
The Latest on: Drug-delivery tool
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Drug-delivery tool” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Drug-delivery tool
- Self-nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery Systemson May 26, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems (SNEDDS) are nanoemulsion preconcentrates or anhydrous forms of nanoemulsion. These systems are anhydrous isotropic mixtures of oil, surfactant(s ...
- ClearPoint Neuro enters drug delivery licensing deal with UCBon May 24, 2023 at 1:25 pm
ClearPoint Neuro (Nasdaq:CLPT) announced today that it entered into a multi-year license agreement with UCB over gene therapy delivery.
- ClearPoint Neuro and UCB Enter License Agreement for Gene Therapy Drug Deliveryon May 24, 2023 at 6:25 am
ClearPoint Neuro, Inc. (NASDAQ: CLPT) a global therapy-enabling platform company providing navigation and delivery to the brain, today announced that it has entered into a multi-year license agreement ...
- Ocular Drug Delivery System Market sales will total US$ 27.82 Billion by 2031 | Says Future Market Insightson May 24, 2023 at 3:38 am
Pages Report] According to Future Market Insights (FMI), the demand for ocular drug delivery system is expected to rise considerably, enabling the market to surpass US$ 14,471.2 Mn in valuation by the ...
- 4 Trends and Expectations for Drug Delivery in 2020on May 23, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Unlike oral medications, all injectables require a drug-delivery device for administration— whether ... and empowerment by giving them the opportunity to use different digital tools that will engage ...
- What’s the Latest in Drug-Delivery Devices?on May 21, 2023 at 5:00 pm
To simplify drug delivery for patients and practitioners, drug-delivery devices are becoming more complex. Many of today’s devices include special features designed to ease self-dosing and encourage ...
- Tiny Robots That Bring Targeted Drug Delivery And Treatment A Little Bit Closeron May 20, 2023 at 5:00 pm
What enables the targeted drug delivery feature is the internal pocket ... could one day be yet another incredibly useful medical tool.
- Ensuring precision drug delivery with pressure sensorson May 17, 2023 at 11:26 pm
Automated drug delivery systems have the potential to greatly enhance the safety and precision of medication administration, especially in high-risk medical environments like critical care.
- Multifunctional, stimuli-sensitive nanoparticulate systems for drug deliveryon May 16, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Nanoparticulate pharmaceutical drug delivery systems (NDDSs) are used in research and clinical settings to overcome several issues associated with traditional drugs, such as poor aqueous ...
- Celanese to provide VitalDose drug delivery tool for Glaukos' eye implanton April 5, 2023 at 7:13 am
via Bing News