New spongelike structure converts solar energy into steam.
A new material structure developed at MIT generates steam by soaking up the sun.
The structure — a layer of graphite flakes and an underlying carbon foam — is a porous, insulating material structure that floats on water. When sunlight hits the structure’s surface, it creates a hotspot in the graphite, drawing water up through the material’s pores, where it evaporates as steam. The brighter the light, the more steam is generated.
The new material is able to convert 85 percent of incoming solar energy into steam — a significant improvement over recent approaches to solar-powered steam generation. What’s more, the setup loses very little heat in the process, and can produce steam at relatively low solar intensity. This would mean that, if scaled up, the setup would likely not require complex, costly systems to highly concentrate sunlight.
Hadi Ghasemi, a postdoc in MIT’s Department of Mechanical Engineering, says the spongelike structure can be made from relatively inexpensive materials — a particular advantage for a variety of compact, steam-powered applications.
“Steam is important for desalination, hygiene systems, and sterilization,” says Ghasemi, who led the development of the structure. “Especially in remote areas where the sun is the only source of energy, if you can generate steam with solar energy, it would be very useful.”
The Latest on: Solar energy into steam
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar energy into steam
- ThermaSat design would see CubeSats propelled by jets of steamon January 4, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Howe Industries has submitted a design for a solar-powered steam rocket engine ... condenser to flash boil distilled water into superheated steam. Made up of standardized cube-shaped units ...
- This Renewable Energy Stock Jumped 60% in 2020, But Has Room to Runon December 24, 2020 at 8:29 am
Because of that power surge, shares of Clearway might seem like they're running out of steam ... into perspective, Clearway's current renewable energy portfolio consists of about 1.3 GW of solar ...
- Review of the Year, Q2 2020: COVID’s shadow looms large and the solar industry’s recovery prospectson December 23, 2020 at 2:32 pm
Whilst this year has seen numerous milestones reached when it comes to the solar ... energy efficiency projects that adopt high-road labour practices. The US’ policy framework would draw into ...
- Has Concentrated Solar Power Run Out of Steam in the US?on December 17, 2020 at 10:00 am
Policy & regulation are aligning with renewables cost declines to make projects more profitable and portfolios more sustainable. The Grid Edge comprises technologies, solutions and business models ...
- Worldwide Industry for Concentrating Solar Power to 2030 - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast - ResearchAndMarkets.comon December 10, 2020 at 6:30 am
Concentrating solar power is carbon free and renewable source of energy. The energy generated ... The receiver produces steam or hot air that drives the turbine and the generator.
- New Material Converts Sunlight to Steamon August 26, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Researchers from MIT have developed a new material that converts sunlight into steam much more ... sun is the only source of energy, if you can generate steam with solar energy, it would be ...
- Plumbing Up Mother's Solar Steam Generatoron December 11, 2017 at 5:32 pm
Previous articles from MOTHER EARTH NEWS showed you how to build a low-cost solar furnace frame and ... of its supporting sections of boom pipe) into steam, which in turn is forced out of the ...
- USF professor Yogi Goswami captures solar energy using salt ballson November 10, 2013 at 12:18 pm
As such, the reasoning goes, the Sort of Sunny State isn't great for solar energy — unless someone ... salt-filled ceramic balls that can turn water into steam for hours after the sun disappears.
- A Genuine 1870 Solar-Powered Steam Engineon May 31, 2012 at 10:39 am
Everybody talks about the solar energy experiments ... powered steam engine direct from the pages of the December 1, 1870 issue of The Technologist. See? And you thought research into heating ...
- Solar power heats up energy possibilitieson February 19, 2009 at 4:00 am
(CNN)-- Just west of Seville in Spain, a sea of giant mirrors is reflecting the sun's energy to provide "concentrated ... and used to boil water into steam. The superheated steam is then used ...
via Bing News