The storage capacity of hard drives is increasing explosively, but the speed with which all that data can be written has reached its limits.
Researchers at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and the FOM Foundation present a promising new technology which potentially allows data to be stored 1,000 times as fast in Nature Communications on 10 July. The technology, in which ultra-short laser pulses generate a ‘spin current’, also opens the way to future optical computer chips.
A thousand times faster
“The change in the magnetization is of the order of 100 femtoseconds, which is a factor 1,000 faster than what is possible with today’s technology”, says Schellekens. As well as that, the researchers were able to describe the physical processes that are involved in detail. “There was discussion among physicists about whether the generated spin current is actually able to cause the change in magnetization. We now definitely show that this is really the case”, says Schellekens.
The Latest on: Spin current
via Google News
The Latest on: Spin current
- ASX falls; AMP to pursue spin-off; Kogan slumpson April 22, 2021 at 6:59 pm
Moelis to become MA Financial Group. Macquarie offers $1.24 for Vitalharvest. Boe Pahari to leave AMP. Accent Group to buy Glue, Blundy re-joins board. Kogan’s EBITDA tumbles, flags price inflation.
- Below Deck franchise to expand with more spin-offs in the works – Here’s what we know so faron April 22, 2021 at 11:38 am
There are at least two new Below Deck spin-offs in the works, but a Bravo executive teased even more additions to the franchise are to come.
- Coal Spin-Off Plan Positive for Polish Utilitieson April 22, 2021 at 4:22 am
The Polish government's proposed spin-off of coal-fired power plants into a separate legal entity under full control of the state is positive for the credit profiles of the three main domestic ...
- Scientists Provide Experimental Evidence for Zeeman Spin-Orbit Coupling in Antiferromagneticson April 22, 2021 at 1:11 am
A NUST MISIS professor was part of an international research team that has found evidence for the existence of the Zeeman spin-orbit coupling in antiferromagnetic conductors. This work may pave the ...
- WildBrain hires Spin Master director as development VPon April 21, 2021 at 9:07 am
Lorna Withrington will create new animated concepts and expand the prodco's existing brands with additional content.
- All of 'The Walking Dead' spin-offs in the workson April 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
With The Walking Dead drawing to a close at the end of its 11th season, one might assume that the franchise would be showing signs of slowing down - and one would be wrong.
- VMware: Buy Before Unlocking Of Value Post Spin-Off Beginson April 19, 2021 at 12:14 am
Dell announced that it was spinning off VMware as an independent company, removing the overhang on the stock. Read more to find out why we see VMware as a compelling buy.
- New nanoscale device for spin technologyon April 16, 2021 at 5:41 am
Researchers at Aalto University have developed a new device for spintronics. The results have been published in the journal Nature Communications, and mark a step towards the goal of using spintronics ...
- Discrimination of skyrmion chirality via spin–orbit and –transfer torques for logic operationon April 16, 2021 at 3:35 am
Recently many works on magnetic memories and logic circuits, which use a magnetic skyrmion have been reported. Previously we micromagnetically simulated a method to switch a chirality of a magnetic ...
- Dell Technologies to spin VMware into independent companyon April 14, 2021 at 11:05 pm
The spin-off appears to still be following that trajectory ... Dell Technologies is basing its estimated proceeds on its current 80.6% ownership in VMware. For some historical context, Dell ...
via Bing News