The storage capacity of hard drives is increasing explosively, but the speed with which all that data can be written has reached its limits.
Researchers at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and the FOM Foundation present a promising new technology which potentially allows data to be stored 1,000 times as fast in Nature Communications on 10 July. The technology, in which ultra-short laser pulses generate a ‘spin current’, also opens the way to future optical computer chips.
A thousand times faster
“The change in the magnetization is of the order of 100 femtoseconds, which is a factor 1,000 faster than what is possible with today’s technology”, says Schellekens. As well as that, the researchers were able to describe the physical processes that are involved in detail. “There was discussion among physicists about whether the generated spin current is actually able to cause the change in magnetization. We now definitely show that this is really the case”, says Schellekens.
The Latest on: Spin current
via Google News
The Latest on: Spin current
- The Yellowstone -verse is heading to Texas for spin-off 6666on February 24, 2021 at 6:18 pm
The Yellowstone-verse is growing fast, and now it's heading south. In addition to an already announced prequel to the Kevin Costner-led western drama,Y: 1883, creator Taylor Sheridan is blessing fans ...
- The Walking Dead Season 11: Storyline will have a different spin on it than the comicson February 24, 2021 at 5:10 pm
The Walking Dead's showrunner Angela Kang reveals that Season 11 of the hit zombie apocalypse series will be "different" from the comics.
- The jobseeker increase is pathetic – and so is the spin to justify the paltry amounton February 24, 2021 at 11:13 am
If Newstart and jobseeker had risen in line with earnings over the years, it would be at least $100 a week higher ...
- University Of Rhode Island: International URI Student Streams Spin Class From Ecuadoron February 24, 2021 at 6:31 am
Then COVID-19 arrived, forcing her to stay in Ecuador. The pandemic prompted her to become an innovator to be able to continue her passi ...
- Spin Master bolsters its entertainment teamon February 23, 2021 at 9:22 am
Spin Master is strengthening its entertainment team with a couple of key promotions. Laura Clunie (pictured, left) has been upped from VP of development and creative director to SVP of development and ...
- ‘Paw Patrol’ Studio Spin Master Entertainment Promotes Jennifer Dodge to Presidenton February 23, 2021 at 7:12 am
Spin Master Corp., the company behind "PAW Patrol" has promoted Jennifer Dodge to become president of its entertainment division ...
- Spin Coater Market Trends Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2027on February 18, 2021 at 12:36 am
Selbyville, Delaware, The global Spin Coater market size is expected to gain market growth in the forecast period ...
- Zimmer Biomet Names CEO of Dental/Spine Spin-Offon February 17, 2021 at 7:17 pm
The company appears to be making haste to put a leadership team in place as it prepares to spin off its spine and dental businesses into a new public company.
- Emulating spin transport with nonlinear optics, from high-order skyrmions to the topological Hall effecton February 17, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Control of effective magnetization textures like skyrmions is limited by the thermodynamic stability in current materials. Here, the authors propose a 3D nonlinear photonic crystal to emulate 2D spin ...
- Thunder and Lightning will appear on Black Lightning spin-off Painkilleron February 16, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Khalil now wrestles with his noble personality clashing with the murderous Painkiller persona. Akil confirmed that the pilot episode will have Thunder and Lightning appearing. While it’s logical for ...
via Bing News