River basin storage data from on high are excellent indicators of overflow potential
Data from NASA satellites can greatly improve predictions of how likely a river basin is to overflow months before it does, according to new findings by UC Irvine. The use of such data, which capture a much fuller picture of how water is accumulating, could result in earlier flood warnings, potentially saving lives and property.
The research was published online Sunday in the journal Nature Geoscience.
A case study of the catastrophic 2011 Missouri River floods showed that factoring into hydrologic models the total water storage information from NASA’s Gravity Recovery & Climate Experiment mission – including groundwater accumulation below the surface – could have increased regional flood warning lead times from two months to as long as five months.
A review of the 2011 Columbia River floods found that warnings could have been issued three months before they occurred. Comprehensive underground measurements are not currently part of predictive models, which typically take into account river flow rates and some snowfall amounts.
“GRACE data contain important hydrologic information that is not currently being utilized to estimate regional flood potential,” said lead author J.T. Reager, who did the work as a UCI postdoctoral researcher and recently joined NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory as a research scientist. “This could significantly increase flood prediction lead times within large river basins.”
The Latest on: Flood prediction
via Google News
The Latest on: Flood prediction
- Lagos flood alert: Heeding the augurson April 22, 2021 at 3:23 pm
With just few days of rains, some parts of Lagos are already flooded. How then will residents of these areas, especially flood-prone areas, fare when the peak of the rainy season which usually comes ...
- Flood Barrier Market 2021 : Top Countries Data with Analysis of Key Trends, Industry Dynamics and Future Growth 2027on April 21, 2021 at 11:58 pm
The latest published report by 360 Research Reports. The global “ Flood Barrier Market " Share, Size, Trends, Industry Analysis Report, By Product Type ( Metal Flood Barrier, Plastic Polymer Flood ...
- Global Flood Lighting Market Size, Share, Industry Update, Segmental Analysis, Future Analysis, Sales Estimate and Forecast 2027on April 20, 2021 at 10:50 pm
Global "Flood Lighting Market" research provides an outline of the business with key insights, applications and ...
- Flooding will slowly ease up as Pearl River crestson April 20, 2021 at 11:20 am
The forecast from the National Weather Service shows the Pearl River is now cresting, and will continue to see slightly lower levels through the weekend.
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Downpours possible throughout the day; watch for floodingon April 18, 2021 at 11:51 pm
Strong storms are moving through the Tampa Bay area Monday morning. Hardee County was under a tornado warning until 7:30 a.m. There have not been any reports of damage ...
- Flash flood watch in place for New Orleans area; see Sunday's forecaston April 17, 2021 at 3:19 pm
After almost six days of intermittent rain and thunderstorms, a flash flood watch continues for much of southeast Louisiana until early Sunday. But then ...
- FIRST ALERT FORECAST: More rain, showers on the way over the next few dayson April 16, 2021 at 5:38 am
BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - A Flash Flood Watch remains in effect for the entire WAFB viewing area through Noon on Saturday. Additional rounds of showers and t-storms impacting the region over the next ...
- Bogue Falaya could near major flood stage as river rises higher than forecaston April 15, 2021 at 3:38 pm
St. Tammany Parish President Mike Cooper is urging residents close to the Bogue Falaya River near Camp Covington to keep an eye on the rising river and to be ready ...
- More heavy rain forecaston April 15, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Flash flood watch posted through Saturday morning. Another 2-4+ inches of rain possible. Much of that rain will fall on the Northshore where Rivers are at Flood warning with moderate flood forecast ...
- Minor flooding forecast for smaller area riverson April 11, 2021 at 6:35 pm
... from the North Central River Forecast Center in Chanhassen, Minnesota, the Rock River at Moline is expected to rise to 12.1 feet by 1 p.m. Monday. Flood stage there is 12 feet. The Rock will ...
via Bing News