Mobility gear can be very expensive, and in that regard, the Firefly is a pleasant surprise, clocking in under US$2,000.
Walking the dog, popping out to the shops, going sightseeing … it’s not that wheelchair users can’t do these things, it’s just that they’re a pain in the butt. Or, more often, a pain in the shoulder or a case of carpal tunnel or RSI. Everything takes more planning when you’re in a chair – and if you’re not feeling super energetic, any trip further than a few hundred yards starts looking like a car ride.
That’s why this gadget looks pretty nifty to me. The Firefly, from Rio Mobility, is a freestanding electric handcycle that clips on to a wide range of wheelchairs in less than a minute, and turns them into mini power trikes.
The range is quoted at about 24 km (around 15 mi) per charge. That’s significant, as it brings most of the things an able-bodied person would choose to walk for into range. Taking a scooter arrangement like this lets you enjoy the outdoors a bit rather than being cooped up in a car.
The Latest on: Mobility gear
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Mobility gear” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Mobility gear
- Schaeffler to build new facility for e-mobility solutions in USon February 26, 2024 at 9:25 pm
featuring Schaeffler-designed and manufactured tools and equipment. Global motion technology company Schaeffler is expanding its operations in the U.S. with the addition of a new manufacturing ...
- Alta Equipment Group Appoints Sidhartha Nair as Directoron February 26, 2024 at 1:30 pm
Feb. 26, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- On February 22, 2024, Alta Equipment Group Inc. (NYSE ... Mr. Nair, age 52, is the Head of Strategy, Americas Region, for Mercedes-Benz Mobility and leads Strategic ...
- Palantir Technologies Reports a 7.1% Stake in Surf Air Mobilityon February 26, 2024 at 12:53 pm
Detailed price information for Palantir Technologies Inc Cl A (PLTR-N) from The Globe and Mail including charting and trades.
- Forget squats—a mobility expert recommends these three knee-friendly moves to build glute strength and stabilityon February 26, 2024 at 2:27 am
Forget squats—a mobility expert recommends these three knee-friendly moves to build glute strength and stability ...
- Project MEND previews its medical equipment drive during ¡Viva Mobility!on February 23, 2024 at 9:01 am
People are encouraged to bring their gently used medical equipment so that Project MEND can give them new life. Wheelchairs, walkers and rollators are among the most requested mobility items. There’s ...
- Coastal Waste & Recycling receives Mack LR Electric Refuse vehicle during e-mobility eventon February 23, 2024 at 5:47 am
Mack executives handed over the EV during an e-mobility event with the company, Volvo Construction Equipment, Nextran Truck Centers, and local officials. “Mack is proud to be partnering with Coastal ...
- Free adaptive bicycles given to students with mobility issueson February 23, 2024 at 1:10 am
Adaptive bicycles are for people who have limited mobility and are unable to ride a traditional bike. This type is designed for someone to push and steer from behind, but the person riding still gets ...
- Cutting-Edge AeroFlex™ Turnout Gear From Fire-Dex Cools the Core of Any Compositeon February 22, 2024 at 2:29 pm
Combines next-gen material science and design features that supercharge breathability to address the risk of heat stress.
- Production process, digitalization technologies drive e-mobility solutionson February 21, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Examples of applications produced with Dieffenbacher equipment include battery housings, battery boxes and underbody covers for e-mobility applications such as drones and electric cars, and even ...
- I tried doing this move for five days to boost my shoulder mobility and relieve upper-body tension—here's what I foundon February 18, 2024 at 9:00 pm
To combat these aches and pains and reduce the long-term damage of my desk job, I'm trying to incorporate more mobility work into my daily life ... It doesn't require any equipment, so I decided to do ...
via Bing News