Mobility gear can be very expensive, and in that regard, the Firefly is a pleasant surprise, clocking in under US$2,000.
Walking the dog, popping out to the shops, going sightseeing … it’s not that wheelchair users can’t do these things, it’s just that they’re a pain in the butt. Or, more often, a pain in the shoulder or a case of carpal tunnel or RSI. Everything takes more planning when you’re in a chair – and if you’re not feeling super energetic, any trip further than a few hundred yards starts looking like a car ride.
That’s why this gadget looks pretty nifty to me. The Firefly, from Rio Mobility, is a freestanding electric handcycle that clips on to a wide range of wheelchairs in less than a minute, and turns them into mini power trikes.
The range is quoted at about 24 km (around 15 mi) per charge. That’s significant, as it brings most of the things an able-bodied person would choose to walk for into range. Taking a scooter arrangement like this lets you enjoy the outdoors a bit rather than being cooped up in a car.
The Latest on: Mobility gear
via Google News
The Latest on: Mobility gear
- Batteries will be pivotal in India’s electric mobility transitionon May 17, 2021 at 4:31 pm
India’s ambitious plans for the electric vehicle market will stay in first gear until stronger and cheaper batteries become more widely available ...
- U.S. Army Researchers Lead New NATO Standard for Vehicle Mobilityon May 16, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization has accepted the Next Generation NATO Reference Mobility Model and adopted it as a ...
- Oshkosh HET Is a Fast Transporter of Mission-Critical Equipmenton May 15, 2021 at 8:30 pm
Oshkosh Defense has recently unveiled their newest line of Heavy Tactical Vehicles, designed for the difficult environment that the modern battlefield represents.
- Superior Van & Mobility Celebrates New State-of-the-Art Facility with Ribbon Cuttingon May 15, 2021 at 12:09 am
Superior Van & Mobility, a Kentucky based family-owned wheelchair-accessible vehicle dealer, hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony at their newer 761 E. New Circle Rd., Lexington, KY 40505 location ...
- U.S. Home Medical Equipment Market to Reach $20.41 Bn by 2027 at 5.6% CAGR: Allied Market Researchon May 13, 2021 at 8:00 am
Increase in prevalence of chronic diseases and technological advancements drive the growth of the U.S. home medical equipment marketPORTLAND, ...
- Cisco fixes 6-month-old AnyConnect VPN zero-day with exploit codeon May 13, 2021 at 7:31 am
Cisco has fixed a six-month-old zero-day vulnerability found in the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client VPN software, with publicly available proof-of-concept exploit code.
- Fueled by Increasing Micro-Mobility Adoption, Global Shared and Autonomous Mobility Industry Set to Flourishon May 12, 2021 at 9:58 am
The shared mobility market is expected to reach $608.86 billion by the end of 2021, finds Frost & SullivanSANTA CLARA, Calif., May 12, 2021 /CNW/ ...
- Mobility Aids And Transportation Equipment Market Development Trends, Key Drivers and Competitive Analysis 2021-2025 | FMI Report with Expert Reviewon May 12, 2021 at 1:45 am
Future Market Insights (FMI) adopted a multidisciplinary approach during the pandemic-era to focus on the growth and development of the Mobility Aids And Transportation Equipment Market. The study ...
- U.S. joins European Union military mobility projecton May 7, 2021 at 9:54 am
The United States, with Canada and Norway, is now part of a European Union project designed to move troops across Europe more easily.
- EU and US defense leaders pounce on new pet project: military mobilityon May 6, 2021 at 2:04 pm
European Union members have admitted the United States into a project aimed at quickening the flow of military personnel and equipment across the continent, hoping the move will open a new front in ...
via Bing News