Patients’ own cells transformed into model for studying disease and developing potential treatment
Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) researchers have created a way to develop personalized gene therapies for patients with retinitis pigmentosa (RP), a leading cause of vision loss. The approach, the first of its kind, takes advantage of induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell technology to transform skin cells into retinal cells, which are then used as a patient-specific model for disease study and preclinical testing.
Using this approach, researchers led by Stephen H. Tsang, MD, PhD, showed that a form of RP caused by mutations to the gene MFRP (membrane frizzled-related protein) disrupts the protein that gives retinal cells their structural integrity. They also showed that the effects of these mutations can be reversed with gene therapy. The approach could potentially be used to create personalized therapies for other forms of RP, as well as other genetic diseases. The paper was published recently in the online edition of Molecular Therapy, the official journal of the American Society for Gene & Cell Therapy.
“The use of patient-specific cell lines for testing the efficacy of gene therapy to precisely correct a patient’s genetic deficiency provides yet another tool for advancing the field of personalized medicine,” said Dr. Tsang, the Laszlo Z. Bito Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and associate professor of pathology and cell biology.
The Latest on: Personalized Gene Therapy
via Google News
The Latest on: Personalized Gene Therapy
- ElevateBio, Boston Children’s launch startup to test new approach to “off-the-shelf’ cell therapyon August 4, 2022 at 8:39 am
Spun out of a Boston Children’s research lab, the biotech is the first to emerge from a partnership ElevateBio and the hospital struck to create new cell and gene therapy companies.
- AVROBIO Announces Inducement Grants Under Nasdaq Listing Rule 5635(c)(4)on August 4, 2022 at 4:00 am
AVROBIO, Inc. (Nasdaq: AVRO), a leading clinical-stage gene therapy company with a shared purpose to free people from a lifetime of genetic disease, today announced that the company has granted an ...
- CGT Catapult joins personalized cell therapy consortiumon August 4, 2022 at 1:57 am
Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult (CGT Catapult) has launched a consortium to advance manufacturing of personalized cell therapies.
- AVROBIO to Participate in Two Upcoming Investor Conferences in Auguston August 1, 2022 at 4:02 am
(Nasdaq: AVRO), a leading clinical-stage gene therapy company with a shared purpose to free people from a lifetime of genetic disease, today announced that members of its senior management team are ...
- Bioviva Unveils Innovative Gene Therapy Aimed At Extending Human Health-Spanson July 27, 2022 at 4:04 pm
BioViva is implementing personalized, regenerative gene therapies ... Through this innovative form of gene therapy, BioViva is setting out to extend humans' health spans - which is the amount ...
- BioViva Unveils Innovative Gene Therapy Aimed at Extending Human Health-Spanson July 27, 2022 at 2:45 pm
However, ambitious biotechnology company BioViva is instead centering its attention on fixing the root cause of it all: cellular aging. BioViva is implementing personalized, regenerative gene ...
- Csafe Global Continues Investment In Cell And Gene Therapy Solutions With Addition Of New Portfolio President'on July 25, 2022 at 12:40 pm
Cell and Gene Therapies (CGT). In her new role, DuRoss will lead CSafe's CGT solutions portfolio to support intelligent transport of high-value personalized therapies and vaccines to meet the ...
- Next-level quality control in cell and gene therapyon July 25, 2022 at 6:33 am
Discover examples of how Droplet Digital™ PCR (ddPCR™) is enabling cell and gene therapies to reach further than ever before.
- Achilles Therapeutics to Lead Cell-Therapy Manufacturing Consortiumon July 22, 2022 at 1:00 pm
An Achilles Therapeutics-led cell-therapy consortium will work on developing a novel, smart bioprocessing manufacturing platform for personalized cell therapies.
- CGT Catapult joins new Consortium to Advance Personalized Cell Therapy Manufacturingon July 22, 2022 at 8:39 am
London, 22 July 2022 – Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult (CGT Catapult ... of an innovative smart bioprocessing manufacturing platform (bioreactor) for personalized cell therapies. At present, most ...
via Bing News