Scientists at The Australian National University (ANU) have uncovered the secret to twisting light at will. It is the latest step in the development of photonics, the faster, more compact and less carbon-hungry successor to electronics.
A random find in the washing basket led the team to create the latest in a new breed of materials known as metamaterials. These artificial materials show extraordinary properties quite unlike natural materials.
“Our material can put a twist into light – that is, rotate its polarisation – orders of magnitude more strongly than natural materials,” said lead author Mingkai Liu, a PhD student at the ANU Research School of Physics and Engineering (RSPE).
“And we can switch the effect on and off directly with light,” said Mr Liu .
Electronics is estimated to account for two per cent of the global carbon footprint, a figure which photonics has the potential to reduce significantly. Already light carried by fibre optics, has replaced electricity for carrying signals over long distances. The next step is to develop photonic analogues of electronic computer chips, by actively controlling the properties of light, such as its polarisation.
The Latest on: Metamaterials
via Google News
The Latest on: Metamaterials
- Q3 2021 Report on the Global Market for Metamaterials and Metasurfaces to 2031 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon October 12, 2021 at 2:54 am
The "The Global Market for Metamaterials and Metasurfaces to 2031" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Metamaterials Market 2021-2026: Trends, Share, Analysis and Forecast Reporton October 10, 2021 at 11:33 pm
According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled “Metamaterials Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2021-2026”, the global metamaterials market exhibited ...
- META Completes Acquisition of Nanotech Security Corp.on October 5, 2021 at 5:32 am
HALIFAX, NS / ACCESSWIRE / October 5, 2021 / Meta Materials Inc. (the “Company” or “META®”) (NASDAQ:MMAT)(FSE:MMAT) a developer of high-performance functional materials and nanocomposites, today ...
- Metamaterials Market 2021-2026: Size, Share, Trends, Analysis, Key Players and Reporton October 1, 2021 at 12:31 am
According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled " Metamaterials Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2021-2026 ", the global metamaterials market ...
- New metamaterial with unusual reflective property could boost your Wi-Fi signalon September 30, 2021 at 1:45 pm
University of Toronto Professor George Eleftheriades achieved a practical mechanism for ‘full-duplex nonreciprocity,’ a property in metamaterials that allows for manipulation of both incoming and ...
- Metamaterials Market Trend, Forecast, Drivers, Restraints, Company Profiles and Key Players Analysis by 2027on September 24, 2021 at 10:42 am
(MENAFN- iCrowdNewsWire) The Global Metamaterials Market is projected to reach USD 3.61 billion in 2027. The key factors influencing the market include increasing demand for the new technologies ...
- Rocky Mountain Mechanics Seminar Serieson September 23, 2021 at 11:10 am
The Rocky Mountain Mechanics Seminar Series provides CU Boulder faculty, staff and students with the opportunity to hear from researchers across disciplines from various institutions.
- Discrete and Continuum Models for Complex Metamaterialson September 23, 2021 at 9:09 am
Bringing together contributions on a diverse range of topics, this text explores the relationship between discrete and continuum mechanics as a tool to model new and complex metamaterials. Providing a ...
- Report: Metamaterials Will Partly Depend on Additive Manufacturingon September 13, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Although artificially created metamaterials probably won't reach large-scale commercialization for 10 years or so, some are already appearing in niche applications like electronics, communications, ...
- Comserveonline--> Metamaterials Market Drivers & Growth Opportunity Analysis Reporton September 13, 2021 at 4:26 pm
(MENAFN - Comserve) Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, Japan, Sep 13, 2021, 08:34 /Comserve / -- Metamaterials Market With Top Countries Data, Industry Analysis , Size, Share ...
via Bing News