Scientists at The Australian National University (ANU) have uncovered the secret to twisting light at will. It is the latest step in the development of photonics, the faster, more compact and less carbon-hungry successor to electronics.
A random find in the washing basket led the team to create the latest in a new breed of materials known as metamaterials. These artificial materials show extraordinary properties quite unlike natural materials.
“Our material can put a twist into light – that is, rotate its polarisation – orders of magnitude more strongly than natural materials,” said lead author Mingkai Liu, a PhD student at the ANU Research School of Physics and Engineering (RSPE).
“And we can switch the effect on and off directly with light,” said Mr Liu .
Electronics is estimated to account for two per cent of the global carbon footprint, a figure which photonics has the potential to reduce significantly. Already light carried by fibre optics, has replaced electricity for carrying signals over long distances. The next step is to develop photonic analogues of electronic computer chips, by actively controlling the properties of light, such as its polarisation.
The Latest on: Metamaterials
via Google News
The Latest on: Metamaterials
- Metamaterial Market Size Is Anticipated To Reach USD 4.42 Billion At A CAGR 26.9% By 2027 | Reports And Dataon July 29, 2022 at 7:49 pm
Reports And Data The Growing Demand For Advance material in Consumer Electronics, Medical, Aerospace Industries are key Factors Driving Gl ...
- Tetrahedrons assemble! Three-sided pyramids form 2D structureson July 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Chemists have discovered that pointy gold tetrahedrons self-assemble into 2D chiral superlattices. The structures could be useful metamaterials.
- Report: Metamaterials Will Partly Depend on Additive Manufacturingon July 18, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Although artificially created metamaterials probably won't reach large-scale commercialization for 10 years or so, some are already appearing in niche applications like electronics, communications, ...
- What Are Metamaterials, And What Does This Science Have To Do With The Future Of Space?on July 6, 2022 at 5:00 pm
However, recent advances in a field of engineering known as metamaterials have resulted in a novel, electronically scanned antenna technology that has solved these challenges. Metamaterials is a ...
- Gear-based mechanical metamaterials allow for creation of configurable sheetson July 5, 2022 at 7:06 am
Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Karlsruhe Institute of Technology has developed a host of gear-based mechanical metamaterials that allow for the creation of configurable sheets. In their ...
- Mechanical Metamaterialson June 30, 2022 at 4:59 pm
Mechanical metamaterials are rationally designed structures of precision geometrical arrangements leading to unusual physical and mechanical properties. Inspiration for mechanical metamaterials ...
- Metamaterials Technologies Market Research Report By 2028: Top market trendson June 28, 2022 at 10:53 pm
Jun 29, 2022 (Heraldkeepers) -- An in-depth analysis of the Metamaterials Technologies market is provided in the report, which examines drivers, restraints, opportunities, and challenges.
- Metamaterials Market Size, Share, Analysis, Growth, Company Profiles, Competitive Landscape and Key Regions Analysis (2022-2029)on June 28, 2022 at 6:17 am
Jun 28, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- Global "Metamaterials Market" reports provide valuable product, industry knowledge, market factors with size, share, overview of the capability of industry ...
- Metamaterials for Communication Antennas Market 2022 Innovation, Business Strategy, Future Technology, Application, Top Key Companies Analysis to 2028on June 24, 2022 at 5:32 am
The global Metamaterials for Communication Antennas Market analysis report is a comprehensive investigation of market size, share, and developments, as well as industry trends. For all-around ...
via Bing News