Chemists and students in science and engineering at Oregon State University have created a new type of chemical test, or assay, that’s inexpensive, simple, and can tell whether or not one of the primary drugs being used to treat malaria is genuine – an enormous and deadly problem in the developing world.
The World Health Organization has estimated that about 200,000 lives a year may be lost due to the use of counterfeit anti-malarial drugs. When commercialized, the new OSU technology may be able to help address that problem by testing drugs for efficacy at a cost of a few cents.
When broadly implemented, this might save thousands of lives every year around the world, and similar technology could also be developed for other types of medications and diseases, experts say.
The Latest on: Test for fake drugs
via Google News
The Latest on: Test for fake drugs
- Three US senators test positive for COVID-19 on Thursdayon August 20, 2021 at 1:21 am
Coronavirus case counts are once again rising across the US, near and far. Health officials are scrambling to vaccinate as the Delta variant takes hold. Confusion continues about whether people should ...
- South Korea raises concerns about drug smuggling in new reporton August 19, 2021 at 11:25 am
South Korea's spy agency issued a warning against narcotics traffickers in a report Friday that outlined cases of drug crimes in the country.
- 'Fake ecstasy' from China is flooding UK clubs: Drug support groups warn about 'dangerous' 4-CMCon August 19, 2021 at 3:45 am
The knock-off 'MDMA' named 4-CMC - which users have likened to the potent drug Meth - is being sold in place of or within real ecstasy pills and powders. It has been found in Manchester.
- This is why it's so hard to detect if your drugs have been messed withon August 16, 2021 at 7:00 pm
Over 150 people in Illinois started bleeding uncontrollably after using synthetic cannabis-based products — including fake marijuana, Spice and K2 — that contained the rat poison brodifacoum in March ...
- Rat poison is just one of the potentially dangerous substances likely to be mixed into illicit drugson August 16, 2021 at 5:29 am
Impurities are often added to recreational drugs to mask poor quality. Sebastian Leesch/EyeEm via Getty ImagesOver 150 people in Illinois started bleeding uncontrollably after using synthetic cannabis ...
- Is it illegal in arizona to get caught with fake urine during an emploment drug test?on August 14, 2021 at 7:31 pm
I don't think you would face any criminal charges for that, but you can be pretty sure you won't be getting the job. Be aware that this response does not create an attorney/client relationship. I live ...
- How to sesh safely when fake and high strength drugs circulateon August 13, 2021 at 7:40 am
High strength pills often come in and out of circulation: the double-dose, peach and lilac Donald Trumps from 2019 being recent examples. “High strength drugs are a regular cause of harm to people who ...
- Global Counterfeit Drug Detection Device Market 2021 Growth Opportunity – Spectris, Spectral Engines, Consumer Physicson August 9, 2021 at 7:05 am
The Global Counterfeit Drug Detection Device Market is anticipated to grow rapidly from 2021 to 2027, according to a new study released by MarketQuest.biz. The research looked at the market’s dynamics ...
- Hempfield man accused of attempting to fake court-ordered drug teston August 2, 2021 at 11:31 am
A Hempfield man who police say rigged a smoothie drink pouch to a rubber hose was charged Monday with attempting to fake a drug test, according to court documents. Kevin J. Harrold, 56 ...
- COVID-19 test results at KIA not fake – GHSon August 1, 2021 at 5:43 pm
It added “she also made an allegation that test/result at KIA are fake. This is also not true ... is constantly being monitored by the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA).
via Bing News