Chemists and students in science and engineering at Oregon State University have created a new type of chemical test, or assay, that’s inexpensive, simple, and can tell whether or not one of the primary drugs being used to treat malaria is genuine – an enormous and deadly problem in the developing world.
The World Health Organization has estimated that about 200,000 lives a year may be lost due to the use of counterfeit anti-malarial drugs. When commercialized, the new OSU technology may be able to help address that problem by testing drugs for efficacy at a cost of a few cents.
When broadly implemented, this might save thousands of lives every year around the world, and similar technology could also be developed for other types of medications and diseases, experts say.
The Latest on: Test for fake drugs
via Google News
The Latest on: Test for fake drugs
- Fact check: Claim wrong about Sha'Carri Richardson replacement and anti-drug messageon July 7, 2021 at 9:49 am
A claim that Sha'Carri Richardson's replacement is a Mormon runner spreading an anti-drug message is false. It originated with a satire account.
- Pennsylvania mom busted for making 2 little daughters sell drugs: Prosecutoron July 6, 2021 at 3:40 pm
A Pennsylvania woman was arraigned on Thursday for allegedly being involved in a drug trafficking ring that entailed her daughters selling drugs. The Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office said ...
- Norristown Mom Arrested On Trafficking, Endangerment Charges For Having Daughters Sell Drugson July 6, 2021 at 12:53 pm
A 34-year-old Norristown mother was arrested on various trafficking and endangerment charges for having her young daughters sell drugs on her behalf, authorities said.The investigation into Suleyka ...
- Norristown mother arrested on drug trafficking, making 2 young daughters sell drugs tooon July 6, 2021 at 12:16 pm
D.A. Kevin Steele and Norristown’s Acting Police Chief Todd Dillon announced the arrest of Suleyka Santiago, 34, of Norristown, on charges related to drug trafficking and having her daughters sell ...
- Hong Kong bogus drugs gang smashed as customs officers seize HK$4 million of fake cancer medicine, and 110,000 counterfeit tabletson June 25, 2021 at 1:06 am
A Hong Kong gang distributing and selling fake medicine for serious illnesses has been broken up, and HK$4 million worth of bogus pharmaceutical products seized, a Customs official said on Friday.
- Counterfeit drug trade: Three arrested by STFon June 23, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Out of the available stock of 17,400 tablets, 400 tablets were drawn for statutory testing ... drugs trade. The STF’s success in nabbing the accused is significant because counterfeit ...
- Two held for making and sale of fake drugson June 23, 2021 at 1:16 am
The Mumbai FDA has arrested Mukherjee after slapping two cases of manufacturing and selling counterfeit drugs against him ... samples of these medicines for testing, in which it has been revealed ...
- Quick Fix Synthetic Urine Reviews – Does This Fake Pee Really Work?on June 18, 2021 at 8:15 am
Whether you’re looking to pass a drug test, engage in wet-sex simulation, scare the deer away, or even prank someone, fake pee is the way to go. For good reason. Just make sure to consider the ...
- Focus on border points in war on counterfeit drugson June 15, 2021 at 1:09 pm
“Among the technologies and innovations that have been incorporated in testing include Raman spectroscopic ... has been grappling with fake drugs. In April, government officials destroyed ...
- Interpol shuts down thousands of fake online pharmacieson June 13, 2021 at 9:47 am
"Fake and unauthorized COVID-19 testing kits accounted for more than ... delivered from online stores and found fake and illicit drugs hidden amongst legitimate products like clothes, toys ...
via Bing News