Long before humans figured out how to create colors, nature had already perfected the process — think stunning, bright butterfly wings of many different hues, for example.
Now scientists are tapping into those secrets to develop a more environmentally friendly way to make colored plastics. Their paper on using structure — or the shapes and architectures of materials — rather than dyes, to produce color appears in the ACS journal Nano Letters.
N. Asger Mortensen, Anders Kristensen and colleagues point out that currently, plastic manufacturers add pigments to their products. That gives them the range of colors customers have come to expect in everything from toys to tools. But these additional ingredients add to the growing waste stream of plastics manufacturing and make it difficult to recycle products. To come up with a more eco-friendly alternative, Mortensen’s team turned to highly advanced materials that can be made to appear in different colors — purely by designing their surface structures at the nanoscopic level.
They layered materials, including ultrathin, nano-sized aluminum disks, in a way that manipulates light and creates a new kind of colored surface. To protect it from damage, the scientists topped it off with a scratch-resistant film. Using this method, they created a wide spectrum of colors that could be added to plastics.
The Latest on: Plastics manufacturing
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Plastics manufacturing” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Plastics manufacturing
- Plastics cause wide-ranging health issues from cancer to birth defects, landmark study findson March 29, 2023 at 1:38 am
according to the first analysis of the health hazards of plastics across their entire life cycle – from extraction for manufacturing, through to dumping into landfill and oceans. Led by the Boston ...
- 2023-2029 Polypropylene (PP) Plastic Drums Market Size (Share and Outlook) with Manufacturing Cost Structure Analysison March 28, 2023 at 9:32 pm
Global "Polypropylene (PP) Plastic Drums Market" study report [with 119 Pages] examines the market's top possibilities and gives a concise rundown of the elements that are driving and will continue to ...
- Scientists Created a New Recyclable Plastic Not Made From Crude Oilon March 28, 2023 at 10:00 am
The world is direly addicted to plastics. Try as we might to recycle them, plastics are cheaper to make anew, so unthinkable amounts of plastic waste are dumped into landfill and are clogging up our ...
- Plastics recycling must do better by consumers to succeed, professor sayson March 28, 2023 at 8:24 am
A Virginia Tech professor believes consumers are being left out of the recycling process and have the ability to do more with the proper knowledge.
- Lakeshore plastic injection molding company doubling footprint to support growthon March 28, 2023 at 1:07 am
Credit: Lakewood Construction Co. HOLLAND TWP. — A lakeshore plastic injection molding company is more than doubling its Holland Township manufacturing footprint as part of a nearly $3 million ...
- B & C Plastics to generate additional $10m in annual revenue by recyclingon March 26, 2023 at 7:14 am
A Queensland couple in the plastics manufacturing sector have pivoted their business towards recycling and the circular economy and it’s paying off for them financially. B & C Plastics chief ...
- Plastics Bottle Manufacturing Market Outlook by 2031on March 24, 2023 at 6:17 am
The "Plastics Bottle Manufacturing Market" study describes how the technology industry is evolving and how major ...
- Biden Administration Getting Serious about Plastics Banon March 23, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Rep. Johnson explained that “Section 902 of the Clean Future Act that is being pushed through the House and Senate by Democrats right now places a three-year moratorium on new permitting for plastics ...
- Opinion: Why bioplastics won't solve our plastic problemson March 23, 2023 at 10:41 am
Victoria banned plastic straws, crockery and polystyrene containers, following similar bans in South Australia, Western Australia, New South Wales and the ACT. All states and territories in Australia ...
- Super Glue could make it easier to recycle plasticon March 23, 2023 at 6:30 am
The primary ingredient in Super Glue forms a moldable plastic that can be reduced back down to raw materials, making it more recyclable that petroleum-based plastics.
via Bing News